It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois SRA's open letter about Obama's firearms stance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
This is quite an old letter, which was released about a month before the elections. For some reason, it didn't get much coverage on ATS (at least I couldn't find it with a search).

Click here to read the letter

The letter is penned by the Illinois State Rifle Association's Executive Director Richard Pearson and talks about his experiences with Obama in the Illinois Legislature.

Excerpt:

I lobbied Barack Obama extensively while he was an Illinois State
Senator. As a result of that experience, I know Obama's attitudes toward
guns and gun owners better than anyone. The truth be told, in all my years
in the Capitol I have never met a legislator who harbors more contempt for
the law-abiding firearm owner than does Barack Obama.

While it is clearly too late for this to make any political difference, it's important to bear in mind the motives of the new President. Those that claim he has changed; or those who say "well, he hasn't enacted any bans yet" are misguided. I believe Obama will first try to fix the economy, then healthcare, social services etc. Finally he will throw the bones of freedom to the Democrat loyalists- the bones of the 2nd Amendment. That could happen in 2 months time or in his 2nd term.

I feel it's important that any gun owners, shooters, self defence proponents and 2nd amendment defenders know of this and act accordingly. Buy guns now, support the industry and join the NRA.

Click here to read the letter

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
this is not news to me. I knew he hated gun owners and people who had em, but I didnt know the hate was that bad. I read the entire artile and this just gives me another reason why not to trust the guy.

He really does know how to get on my good side.
(end of sarcasm)

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
With a Democratic majority and perhaps a new SCOTUS appointee from Obama, they might just try to push even more legislation against gun rights. I have my fair share of firearms already though, and expertise to boot, so do a lot of others I know. They'll have to come take them by force. No way I'm giving up my 2nd amendment right without a fight when I have never so much as had a misdemeanor, let alone a criminal charge.

[edit on 9-2-2009 by WestPoint23]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Obama's political ability comes from his insidiousness (eg having all opponents stricken off the ballot in the 96 Illinois senate election) and his ability to lead the public via oratory (no examples needed!).

This leads me to believe that he will try "bullet control" to try and reduce the utility of firearms; or that he will try to effectively strangle the firearms distribution chain by hassling manufacturers with legislation; or he will try and hamper the ability to acquire arms by a slow and bureaucratic licensing system.

I think its clear from his voting record, sources such as the article above and also his general character (ie the "clinging to guns and religion" comment) that at the very least some form of threat to the 2nd amendment is about to emerge.

top topics

join