It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN: Could smoking pot raise testicular cancer risk?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
According to CNN "Health" smoking pot can nearly double your chance of getting testicular cancer. Who comes out with these articles? Big deal double the risk of testicular cancer!?!?! Does anyone know what a man's risk for cancer is if he drinks more than 2 alcholic drinks a day or if he has 2 or more cigarettes a day?
This article was probably paid for by the Alcohol and Tabacco industries. Maybe the Food and Drug Administration too. I have also heard that too much of almost anything can give you cancer including tap water. Does this now mean that pot is more dangerous than tap water?
Of course pot smokers will be at a higher risk to cancer than non smokers. But how about pot tokers who take their THC via vaporizor and not via smoke? This article seems about as scientific as my backside.
I believe that the author of this article Kate Stinchfield, is nothing more than a weed troll who panders to the alcohol and tobacco industries in hopes for a paycheck. Good luck to you Kate Stinchfield and McDonalds is hiring.

www.cnn.com...

[edit on 9-2-2009 by Low Orbit]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Oh my. That was great. And people wonder why I dont watch major news stations for MAJOR NEWS. They wouldnt know major news if it hit em in the face.

Breaking News* PEOPLE WHO HAVE CANCER ARE PERSCRIBED MARIJUANA*

God oh mighty, help them.

[edit on 9-2-2009 by Common Good]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Ah, throw in the cancer-fright again.
. After it being a jumpingboard for hard-drugs (because you have to buy it on the street at some dealer that has other kinds of stuff, instead of buying it where it is regulated), and being a way for terorrists to make money, so you are sponsoring terror with you defiant behaviour, tsk tsk but now it causes cancer too. Maybe the next step is that the plant itself is prone to eat human-babies or something. Who knows.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Scare tactics.
Mabe they should publish the known benifits of medical marijuana to put things in perspective.

This whole thing makes me think of the anti marijuana hype.
Reefer madness:

"If you have outdated perceptions about marijuana, you might be putting your teen at risk," the text went on. It warned that "young people who use marijuana weekly have double the risk of depression later in life" and that "marijuana use in some teens has been linked to increased risk for schizophrenia." It followed with the sneering question, "Still think marijuana's no big deal?"

The rhetoric is alarming. But the research data used to support the ad campaign is hazy at best. Though carefully worded, the campaign blurs the key scientific distinction between correlation and causation. The ad uses some correlations between marijuana use and mental illness to imply that the drug can cause madness and depression. Yet these conclusions are unproven by current research. And several leading researchers are highly skeptical of them.

dir.salon.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I gave up on the whole cancer thing when I read an article in one of my National newspapers that stated "Broccoli causes cancer".

It was then and there that I decided our scientists have little understanding of the root causes of cancers... so hand me the bong!

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Testicular Cancer is virtually 100% curable regardless of the stage ... even the most advanced cases still have a cure rate of about 90%. I wonder if they have ever done research to find out why TC is so highly curable compared to most other forms of cancer where your lucky if the cure rate is 50%.

Actually it is something worthy of being looked into considering that TC is most common among young men in their late teens and 20s - the age at which doing drugs is considered acceptable.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Looks like it's not just CNN reporting on this.

Cannabis linked to testicular cancer

The soaring rate of testicular cancer in the UK and other Western countries is linked today to the increased popularity of cannabis. Testicular cancer has more than doubled over the past 30 years and its rise parallels that of the use of cannabis, Britain's most popular illegal drug.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Is there not "soaring" cancer rates straight across the board? Considering we have been smoking cannabis since we could figure out how to smoke plants, I would say its more of a combination of sedentary lifestyle, preservatives, and pollution in general.

But, by all means, don't question the fact that our economy, that relies on "perpetual GDP growth" would be in terrible danger if people started smoking more and buying/doing less.

Some call it lazy, I call it "being contemplative" and its what this world needs more than anything.

Peace

[edit on 9-2-2009 by TheRealDonPedros]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
simple answer is yea probably but i like to look at things logically

the logical answer is, yea it probably does, but by how much?

there isnt really much out there that doesnt raise some type of cancer risk, one day tomatoes decrease risk, the next is raises it, my point is, any study or test or whatever these people want to call it can all be done in order to come up with the desired outcome

theres a million of these types of studies

what we should ask ourselves is why is this knowledge being publicized now?

the simple answer is, the good old human dolphin mr. phelps

right now support for marijuana is very high (excuse the pun)

pretty much the majority of america understand marijuana and support its medical development

but the powers that be, that we always talk about, they realize they need to do something to stifle that sentiment among its citizens, so things like this are put out, soon im sure there will be some case that comes out and says hemp isnt as industrially valuable as previously thought, or if used, its going to cause some agricultural meltdown, or whatever else they can come up with as ammunition to throw at a ridiculous outdated cause

this is just one more thing they can point to and say, we need further study on these results before changing laws any further to insure the safety of the citizens, its just a made up piece of evidence to use to back their position, the same kinds of studies can be done on anything

i mean look at alcohol and tobacco and all the studies on those about cancer

so just because marijuana has this as a side effect we should forget about all the medicinal properties it contains

but if w applied that logic to all pharmaceuticals

what pharmaceuticals would still be on the market?

even acetaminophen is responsible for more deaths then marijuana and has potentially more dangerous side effects

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Looks like it's not just CNN reporting on this.

Cannabis linked to testicular cancer

The soaring rate of testicular cancer in the UK and other Western countries is linked today to the increased popularity of cannabis. Testicular cancer has more than doubled over the past 30 years and its rise parallels that of the use of cannabis, Britain's most popular illegal drug.

saw this after posting my post

just wanted to say

of course its not just cnn, the propaganda machine has been started

i mean we all know propaganda over marijuana has been going on since the begining, but now that such a elite young role model to many young children has put all of this on the front page, they need something to counter the effects his story and situation will have on young minds along with the rest of us

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
HAHAHAHH!!!!!!!!

Apparently; drinking a little coffee causes breast cancer, but drinking a little wine at night helps stop that. Oh, but don't drink too much of it or it'll give you cancer.

Please, the cancer card is about as worthless as actually trying to stop people from doing it. I know this doesn't deter me or anyone else I know, same as drinking and smoking deaths don't deter everyone in the world that enjoys them. And they even admit it's a bloody 'hypothesis'...seriously who the hell publishes a hypothesis on cannabis these days? lol..TPTB are losing their edge ahhaha.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
This is the only study done to specfically link THC with TC.

There needs to be many more studies before a definite conclusion can be made.

[edit on 9-2-2009 by ColdWater]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Come on people, this is obviously a poor attempt at "crowd control" -- propaganda designed solely to put fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) into the mind of the public after the Michael Phelps thing.

Too many people have had the attitude of "So what? It's just weed. Oh, and if he can be a smoker and still win 8 gold medals, than how bad can the stuff be exactly? He seems pretty motivated and unlazy -- quite the opposite of all those anti-drug ads that run all the time. Maybe the government isn't telling us the truth!"

And of course, they're not...

The big bad government can't have people know the truth that the drug that's been banned for most of the last century is not particularly harmful, and that everyone who smokes is a complete degenerate.

The article itself is completely speculative, and statistics can be manipulated to show anything. Plus, there is actually substantial evidence that MJ prevents cancer rather than causes it!

The worst thing about MJ is that it is illegal. That is what causes people's lives to be destroyed and become paranoid. Take away the legal repercussions, and what are you left with? A harmless plant, unlike alcohol which is legal and still manages to destroy people's lives pretty well!

The government just doesn't want to lose their unconstitutional revenue stream from all the seizures and fines paid, but they don't seem to realize that legalizing and regulating the stuff would provide a whole new industry for the country, creating jobs, and providing tax money.

Legalization is a winning situation for everyone. Prohibition is only a win for the government, and only a marginal one at that because of the organized crime that has grown to meet the demand for the illegal plant.

Which brings me to another question: exactly where in the Constitution does it say that the federal government shall have the power to forbid citizens from growing, in their homes or on their property, any type of plant they arbitrarily pick (no scientific studies were done before the original act banning MJ; the law was passed simply by using racist FUD to railroad it through - but that's a whole other topic!), especially if there is no commerce, let alone interstate commerce, involved?

I just can't understand how the courts have upheld this blatant abuse of the interstate commerce clause as justification for what the gov has been doing to people!

The only people that should be in prison are CRIMINALS....and a crime must have a victim. This so called "legislation of mroality" has got to stop! We are adults and should be allowed to decide for ourselves what we put into our bodies.

And before the whole "they're not just hurting themselves" crowd chimes in. there are already laws on the books for what happens when you hurt somebody else. They just need to be enforced!

Legalization would help ameliorate many of this county's problems. I can't understand why there is so much resistance to the idea, especially when about half the country has at least tried the stuff at some point in their lives!\

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Yeah, like a study into the idea that artificially sweetened pop and other garbage that takes up more and more shelf space to the point where you got to read the label twice to make sure it is sweetened with *GASP*, sugar and not aspartame or splenda or etc. , before you buy it.

Yeah, don't look at that as a possible cause.

Blame cannabis, it needs a new black eye, it's starting to look not as scary as it once was.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
THe story should have read as follows

In another desperate and underhanded move by the federal agencies who promote the war on drugs, another slander of the American people has yet been perpetrated. now despite evidence of its safe long term use, Cannabis otherwise known as marijuana, is being called a possible testicular cancer causer, thise despite facts showing to the contrary.

Its clear that fascist statists are on the prowl for more funding to continue to legally steal property from old grandmas and terrorize families with raids and false/faulty partisan accusations. Granted they clear the state parks and public land of undesirables, they go too far with the war on drugs because the people can and have shown they fend for themselves without a nanny state direrctive.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
ONLY THE POT FROM MEXICO...

This is one of the reason's pot needs to be legalized and regulated. There are no standards against pestisides with the pot from Mexico. The same goes for the hemp products from abroad.

top topics

join