It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS a "crackpot American website"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Sure there's some interesting stuff on ATS but there is also a lot of bogus fluff. What I've seen in this thread so far is a lot of defensiveness on many peoples part without ever addressing the original questions in the Op.

Like anything in life, ATS could undergo some improvements like cleaning up obvious hoax threads before they get completely out of hand - like member XL5 alluded to earlier, (see below).

Read here if you want the TRUTH about aliens and alien technology

Why is this thread still running? Hits? Well if that's the case, the obvious price we are going to pay is articles like the one mentioned in the Op. It's easy to see how someone who hasn't encountered this kind of content before (see link above) would perceive some of the content at ATS to be 'crackpot' in nature.

Don't get me wrong, I love this site and visit/contribute every day but I haven't become so blind or one-sided as to see the argument from one side only. The article does have some merit unfortunately.

Perhaps ATS need more Mods as I've heard that so many are busy trying to stay ahead of everything. I'd happily be a Mod here any day!

IRM

[edit on 9/2/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Common Good made some valid points but I think the Press are equally entitled to make their comments too. Much as I enjoy and value the multiplicity of sources and opinions here, many of the posters are half baked and swept up in hysteria.

I'd never dream of muzzling anyone here, but every day there is a lot of really ridiculous unbalanced stuff presented as fact. You can't silence the ridiculous stuff because without that freedom little gems which would otherwise remain concealed would not come out. You can get a lot out of ATS if you sift through with skepticism and common sense.

Skeptics often make their skepticism an article of faith like a quasi religious experience, but I've often found people here on ATS make their unconventional beliefs an article of unbalance faith too.

I try to steer a course away from fundementalists of both camps.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
At first I almost felt embarrassed for this journalist, for his diatribe seemed so much like old trash from the dark days of Bush and Co. But now on reflection I just feel sorry for him. After all these years the best he can muster is gutter journalism filled with half truths and ignorance, peppered with a healthy dose of bitterness.

In truth, if Robbie Williams invited this man to his home, I am sure he would be falling over himself to be there. You see, he needs attention, he needs friends, and most of all he needs love.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I love ATS, there's no forum like it and it makes me feel at home, I can discuss speculation and theories here without being called crazy or insane, like I am in other places. The only thing bad about ATS IMO is that some of the members are overly gullible, they want to believe so much that they're willing to believe obvious photoshops and fake stories. Of course they eventually get hoaxed, but still.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
I dont think we need the mainstreams blessings.

Mmm. Possibly. But I'm sure some people are put off posting on ATS (or on UFO/conspiracy websites generally) due to the views expressed such articles in the mainstream media and/or because they are concerned about how their participation would be perceived by friends, relatives or colleagues that read such mainstream comments.

If the negative perception were to be eliminated (or at least reduced), ATS and other UFO discussion forums could benefit from an influx of individuals that have avoided posting for such reasons (bringing with them various useful skills).

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
All publicity is good publicity. We'll probably get a thousand people who read that hatchet job and then sign on to ATS and discover the truth for themselves.

You can't make someone love you. All you can do is be someone that can be loved and the rest is up to them.

I think ATS is definitely a site that can be loved.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by IsaacKoi

Originally posted by Skyfloating
I dont think we need the mainstreams blessings.

Mmm. Possibly. But I'm sure some people are put off posting on ATS (or on UFO/conspiracy websites generally) due to the views expressed such articles in the mainstream media and/or because they are concerned about how their participation would be perceived by friends, relatives or colleagues that read such mainstream comments.

Do you really want people who are easily swayed by the media and have their opinions based off the media on this forum? I've been here many years, and I most Definitely would not like to see that.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Read here if you want the TRUTH about aliens and alien technology

Why is this thread still running? Hits? Well if that's the case, the obvious price we are going to pay is articles like the one mentioned in the Op. It's easy to see how someone who hasn't encountered this kind of content before (see link above) would perceive some of the content at ATS to be 'crackpot' in nature.

I really don't think anyone should be labled 'crackpot'. I doubt that thread should have been considered 'TRUTH' either though.

The article does have some merit unfortunately.

[edit on 9/2/09 by InfaRedMan]

I'm sorry but the article has no merit in my eyes with the way it was reported, it was a blatant attack making RW to look like a hermit for avoiding the media, an attack on anyone who doesn't conform to their view.

I believed ATS would come under fire soon, as soon as I heard the phrase 'homegrown terrorism' and the internet being treated as an 'enemy weapons system'.

A glimpse of things to come? I hope not.

EMM

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
As a new member to ATS maybe a thought by "Fresh Eyes" might be good. I have read the boards on this site for a couple months before joining. I wasn't probating this site by any means, it was 1 of a few sites that interested me . I don,t have a name preceeded by letters or have any "inside " career history. What I am is a blue collar man , home reno's, who believes that the people are not being told the truth about a lot of topic's, and on this site I found BALANCE. For almost every topic , there are members who agree and more importantly disagree. Seeing 2 sides enables people to get a full picture and then form their own opinion. How a site , any site, can be called "crackpot" that offers 2 sides and a place to rebuttle is ludicrous . The Daily would do good by themselves to use some of the research on this site for their own needs , maybe then they would not be seen as crackpot rag.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectroMagnetic Multivers

I wasn't commenting on their treatment of RW. I was very specific in what parts I was commenting on... but I guess I should say that i disagree with how they portray Robbie. That's blows for sure! Robbie's a pretty cool guy. As I've always said on this website... Kudos to him for following his own interests and beliefs.

IRM

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

lol, didn't mean to focus on that part myself, it was more their attitude to be honest, it was as someone said, a hatchet job, RW was only the vehicle in which it was delivered. I think ATS is about to get bombarded, but thats only an opinion.

Sorry if it seemed like I was having a go

EMM

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Flash!

"Gossip Columnist specializing in "entertainment" celebrity stalking calls ATS "crackpot" and topics discussed "half-baked".

Shocker.

You have to wonder if they even tried to determine whether this little "free speech zone" has world-wide participation or is it strictly those ignorant Americans...

I think that coming from this reporter, such attributions are compliments, considering what he/she considers 'newsworthy.'

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Too provincial. Actually we're a crackpot global website. ~rimshot~

It's a fair question, Isaac. And it's the subject matter that will always label us by some as "crackpot". The thing is though, it's a member driven site. We discuss and investigate what people bring to the table. Open source media, and as long as the topic doesn't violate the T&C, it's fair game. We have no "official" site position on anything other than the rules outlined in the T&C. And we'd be hard pressed to have an official position on most topics because the staff's opinions are just as varied as the general membership's.

In order to get any kind of "acceptance" we'd need to change the subject matter, which defeats the purpose. And let's say for the sake of argument, we did somehow manage to become "acceptable" by the mainstream media. At that point, we'd be a competitive threat and they'd attack us for another reason. I think the quality of content can always improve, but that's up to the membership. And I'll be glad to take all the Isaac Koi's we can get.

Actually, that may already be happening. You don't get attacked unless you stick out. Maybe we ought to view it as a backhanded compliment.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Daily mail is suffering losses , while ATS posts profits ,

Shows which is full of sh it , Daily mail , a crappy piece of nonsense

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
it's the subject matter that will always label us by some as "crackpot".

Hi yeahright,

Skyfloating made a similar remark above. With respect, I think (or at least hope) that you are both being a bit pessimistic...

Is, for example, any online discussion of issues relating to UFO reports really doomed to be considered "crackpot"?

At some point I really should start a thread about the less controversial possible benefits of considering UFO reports. For example:

(1) What about discussions of the sociological and psychological issues that arise from UFO reports - surely such discussions would not be widely regarded as "crackpot"?

(2) Or what about the possibilities of learning something new in relation to some fields of natural science, e.g. about plasmas?

As for ATS itself, when I find the time to finalise it, I've been working on an article expressing some thoughts about how members of ATS can be encouraged to take a few simple steps that would reduce the amount of rubbish being posted here (and offering a few related tools).

Perhaps we can at least improve the signal to noise ratio on ATS...

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

I'm sure not suggesting we shouldn't make the effort to raise the bar on the level of discourse on this topic. Nothing would please me more. Ultimately it's up to the membership and my hope is that we'll be able to get people to concentrate more and participate more in the threads that have a more scholarly focus. But that type of participation takes some effort. It's very easy to jump into the more frivolous threads and discuss how frivolous they are, thus continually bumping them and making them go on for pages and pages.

All we as staff can do is attempt to keep the discussion civil and on-topic, and sometimes that's a huge task.

Anytime anyone can do something to push this topic forward in a serious way gets us a baby step closer to the day when we'll see a report on MSM about UFOs that isn't accompanied by a snide comment and an eye roll. And as long as we have members with the desire and ability to move us in that direction, it could happen.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Keys To Ascension

Originally posted by lepracornman
Do you really want people who are easily swayed by the media and have their opinions based off the media on this forum? I've been here many years, and I most Definitely would not like to see that.

I've also been here many years, and I've seen it happen a lot.

You know the drill: new members come in all cocky and self-assured, post strong opinions on various topics that are founded on commonly held misconceptions of "reality", misunderstand all sorts of things, get in several debates and generally thrash about wildly in an indignant manner.

Then, at some point, they start questioning their cherished delusions and begin opening up to new ideas. Many discover the virtues of critical thinking and skepticism -- not cynicism, which is based on assumptions, but true skepticism, which makes no assumptions and always allows for the possibility of error.

By this time, some have lost interest and moved on to other things, but some stay on, fascinated by the possibilities that thinking outside the box opens up. Addiction is common.

Eventually, those who remain become aware of many, many things most people cannot even begin to imagine. That awareness is tempered by the healthy skepticism which comes from years of examining dubious claims from myriads of sources. Granted, most of those claims are bogus, but they are nonetheless counterbalanced by the small fraction of a percent that are, though often difficult to accept, potentially true.

I've seen it many times, and have experienced it myself. I consider fostering this process to be the greatest achievement of our community.

ATS is not for everyone, but for those who are ready to question the universe around us, I can't think of a better place to be.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Ats catches some fine diamonds of information that is certainly useful, but the majority of threads on here are rubbish.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by socrates271

There is a lot of guff, but there are some gems too.
Like a library or bookshop....or life in general.
The crap far out-weighs the good....that's what makes the good so....er...good

What i mean is, you really appreciate finding a mind-altering or opinion changing thread, something that makes you question what you know...or what you think you know anyway.
Or, even just a thread that corroborates with what you already know/believe.

If you think it's nearly all crap on ATS....you're not looking hard enough

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join