It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Divided lion takes pride of place

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Two halves of a sculpture dating from 500 BC have been reunited after spending most of their existence apart, following an international search that began with an expert's hunch twenty years ago and led him on a trail from Newcastle upon Tyne to Zurich, in Switzerland, via Ohio in the USA.

Now, the two halves of the terracotta lion's head, which would have decorated an ancient Greek temple, have gone on display together at Newcastle University's Shefton Museum of Greek Art and Archaeology.

One half of the sculpture � the right-hand side � has been on display at Newcastle University since the 1970s, when it was purchased from Christie's by the late Lionel Jacobson, a major benefactor of the University�s Greek collection, and given on loan to the University's Greek Museum.

LINKS
BBC
SHEFTON MUSEUM
Other Museum Web Sites
University of Newcastle

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   
i wonder how the poor sculpture got split in two in the first place. glad to see it back together again now...to think it's from 500 B.C. wow!!

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   

i wonder how the poor sculpture got split in two in the first place. glad to see it back together again now...to think it's from 500 B.C. wow!!

Maybe it was a "Gordian Knot" situation, it's pretty evenly cleaved.

Spiderj

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Se7en, thats an interesting article you've found. I find it amazing that they've been able to piece it together after its separation, 5000 bc ~ amazing!

Spider, are you following me?

j/k

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Spider, are you following me?

The correct term is stalking...

Nyuk,

Spiderj

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I love it how the halves are still relatively unchipped and cracked. It's always a good thing to see works of art coming back together. Now if only we can find the Sphinx's nose.

[Edited on 15-4-2004 by IKnowNothing]

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
always makes you wonder how much outher museums have outher half,s to

new topics

top topics

join