It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$1 Trillion Stimulus? Lets just build a NEW city!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Want to create jobs tomorrow?
Lets just spend $500 Billion on a NEW city in the USA.
California Maybe?
Spend $250 Billion Tax Cuts.
Finally mail out $300 checks to the taxpayers. Better than nothing.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Make the new city GREEN with solar power.
Use the best technology available to make it efficient.
Start construction March 1st,2009.
Look how many JOBS would be created.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
How bout this, lets just build a time machine to go back to 2003 to prevent the Iraq war from happening. In that way we could save $1.2 trillion, over 4000 patriotic lives and actually catch Osama and prevent a recession as bad as this one.

Gee.. thats a better idea.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I have a perfect place to build the "New City"

In the Desert Southwest

The City of Energy Independence

Economic Security and Energy Independence all in one - www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by southern_Guardian
How bout this, lets just build a time machine to go back to 2003 to prevent the Iraq war from happening. In that way we could save $1.2 trillion, over 4000 patriotic lives and actually catch Osama and prevent a recession as bad as this one.

Last I checked, it was the Iraq war that pulled us out of the 9/11 and internet-bubble recession.

Not quite sure how the Iraq war had anything to do with housing speculation, and giving loans to unqualified lendees.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I like your idea, OP.

They're throwing approx 2 trillion into a black hole and nothing's coming back out of it to better the lives of the average person when they could be using the money to build a new city that would involve all the cutting edge technology.

I have not been in favor of any of the bailouts. I think it's throwing good money after bad. The new city idea is very positive and while we're at it, create new banks with new banking rules that actually favor citizens. Outlaw the three G's of the corporate world... greed, gimmicks, and gouging.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu
Last I checked, it was the Iraq war that pulled us out of the 9/11 and internet-bubble recession.

Im sorry, Iraq has nothing to do with 9/11. We have no reason to be there. We wasted over a trillion over a war that has no reason other that Bushie and his personal business, oil or otherwise. The Iraq war most certainly didnt pull the nation out of a "recession" because it costs $200 million a day.

Not quite sure how the Iraq war had anything to do with housing speculation, and giving loans to unqualified lendees.

It doesnt. Although it'd be hard to believe it has nothing to do with our current situation as its a war that does not benefit us, had no reason, and yet it cost us over a trillion and $200 million a day which could better be spent on our nation and our own issues.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Better yet, let us build a time machine, go back to 1996, and convince Clinton to grab Osama, then the Iraq war, 9-11, or whatever, would have been prevented it all together.

Seriously though, isn't it getting a little tiring going on with these partisan attacks when it is clearly obvious that both parties are not acting in interest of the American people?

Being all rahrah I am a conservative/liberal is the reason why the powers that be can keep churning the political landscape and avoid having us take a hard look at what our government and their owners are really doing to us.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Someone sent me an e-mail about a month ago, meant to be funny but it kinda made sense to me at the time.
I have to say beforehand that I have almost zero understanding of economy but:
Why don't they divide equally the money meant for all of the bailouts and stimulus plans, give each resident of the USA his/her share and that would start moving the economy once again?

Or is it just plain stupid?

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by haika
Someone sent me an e-mail about a month ago, meant to be funny but it kinda made sense to me at the time.
I have to say beforehand that I have almost zero understanding of economy but:
Why don't they divide equally the money meant for all of the bailouts and stimulus plans, give each resident of the USA his/her share and that would start moving the economy once again?

Or is it just plain stupid?

Or maybe that would make too much sense.

But the government would rather give money to the guys that ruined the economy instead.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by wutone
Better yet, let us build a time machine, go back to 1996, and convince Clinton to grab Osama,

You mean the 1993 bombing when Clinton just took over after Bush Snr. When BUSH snr was warned. When Clinton continued to persue Bin Laden, WARNED the new Bush Jnr administration who did nothing to continue the search.

then the Iraq war, 9-11, or whatever, would have been prevented it all together.

Ill say this again.

Iraq had nothing to do with 9-11 other than Bushes oil or personal business. It didnt have to happen.

Wheres Osama? 8years no Osama. Why the hell have we spent over $1 trillion and $200 million a day on a war that has nothing to do with 9/11, with our own economic issues? It has nothing.

And yet your covering Bushes ass and you have the nerve to use the whole government pupper tin hat theory. Really revealing.

Seriously though, isn't it getting a little tiring going on with these partisan attacks when it is clearly obvious that both parties are not acting in interest of the American people?

Partisan attacks? What the hell does a president purposefully lying about going to war with another nation that has nothing to do with 9/11 have to do with partisan attacks? Why is it that all conservatives have to cover Bushes ass? Would you grow a spine and admit the man, despite being a conservative that the vast majority of you folks paraded in 2000 and 2004, was a liar. Grow a spine and fess up.

Why dont you look beyond your own partisan BS and actually admit the man lied to us over the war. The man wasted $1.2 trillion of our tax payer money that could have been spent on these United states of america, or on the REAL war hunting that monster in Afghanistan. How about over 4000 patriotic lives could have been better respected in being sent to hunt down the man that had plenty to do with 9/11, not Bushes personal agenda in Iraq.

Grow a spine and fess up that the man lied. Stop covering his ass for the sake of your own ideology. The man lied to all of us, liberal and conservative. For petes sakes. And here you are, going on about government conspiracies. Real hypocritical.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Seriously its beyond me these sake "fiscal conservative" folks who readily supported a war of lies thats already cost us $1.2 trillion, thats costing us $200 million meanwhile we're having our economic issues, and yet they wanna go on about the stimulus bill for america.

Its also beyond me how these folks can blame everything on the Democratic congress that was elected 2 years out of the 5 years this crap was happening with a republican majority for nearly a decade.

Unfreaken believable.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Forget a new city I want a space elevator from the equator up 32,000 miles. This will allow for much cheaper and pollution free access into space. This could drastically chance the way we view colonizing our solar system. That is what I would do if I was in charge. Why have another city when instead for the same amount of coin you can create a gateway to the stars?

Beside a kick ass space elevator I would want what Haika stated above that is the money should be distributed to every resident of the US evenly. I would go one step further and say every legal resident.

[edit on 9-2-2009 by Low Orbit]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Better yet, why not use the money towards something that will be ecologically beneficial?

en.wikipedia.org...

$1tr would be more than enough to stop the effects of global warming entirely.

The issue of course, is that it wouldn't create employment. The premise of Keynesian economics is that spending needs to be ramped up in order to disseminate money amongst people.

To demonstrate this, Keynes once threw a bunch of towels on the floor of a lavatory, claiming that it would give the cleaners more to do and thus stimulate the economy more.

Thus stimulus spending is less about efficiency. In fact the more inefficient it is, the better. Why have one man cleaning a building when you can hire ten- thus increasing employment.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I don't get it. For 8 years the GOP screamed "Destroy America by spending as much money on our buddies as possible!" Now that Obama is in they're crying about spending too much money. Seriously, they double the national debt so the people they went to college with could destroy America while buying more private jets, but cry about the American People getting a single dime from the government. Hmm, heard like 188million people filed tax returns. 188million... Let's give every one 10,000$. 1,880,000,000,000$! Instead of the two trillion the banks get and this new stimulus package we could spend 1.8trillion and give every tax payer 10,000$! Imagine how that would boost the economy! I know, the GOP says that's wrong, spending to much. So fine, remove the Republicans and divide that 1.8trillion up among the dems and independants so they get more then 10,000$! Hmm, how much of a boost would we have if debts were paid off and had money left? Instead of being stuch paying 280$ a month on a car payment and 125$ on a credit card bill they paid those off, had a little left over? Over 400 a month extra to spend! Also, the GOP now wants more tax cuts for the rich. TRICKLE DOWN DOESN'T WORK! Never has never will. Unless we trash their homes, burn their cars, and sink their boats. Then they'd have to buy new cars, fix windows, repaint house, and buy new boats. Instead of sitting on their billions, wiping their asses with 1,000$ bills, using million dollar bills to light their cigars, they'd spend them on cars and painters an cleaning crews and stuff!

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Afrosamurai

Inflation.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Oh come on really? We're giving BILLIONAIRES TRILLIONS of dollars, that won't cause inflation? How about we give less to the people who have less? Instead of the money going to private jets for Citi Bank we give the money to the people who owe loans to Citi Bank so Citi Bank still gets the money, but only after people paid off their debts.

sty

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
If you take the average price of 200 000 us$ for a house/flat , then 1 trillion would be enough to make 5 million houses.

Or 1 trillion is the INTEREST rate american homeowners pay to the bankers over three years for the mortgages alone. Bankers were happy with that for over 5 decades..however now they decided they want the pension money from most of you ...

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afrosamurai
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Oh come on really? We're giving BILLIONAIRES TRILLIONS of dollars, that won't cause inflation? How about we give less to the people who have less? Instead of the money going to private jets for Citi Bank we give the money to the people who owe loans to Citi Bank so Citi Bank still gets the money, but only after people paid off their debts.

Calm down and go research the facts first.

You're giving billion dollar institutions billions of dollars. So first of all, please stop throwing around incorrect facts. None of the owners are billionaires, the money is going through the company to clear out toxic debts. If the owners simply keep the money, their institutions will go bust and they will be strung up to dry... like Fuld was when Lehmans went under. The rich elite own the vast amount of their wealth in shares. Mittal lost £25 billion in the last 6 months. The CEOs similarly lost millions when the shares fell- they are not as rich or untouchable as you think.

Now to the matter of inflation. Putting the money in at the top is precisely what slows the effect of inflation. If you give a billionaire a billion dollars, his consumer pattern will change very little. He will not buy any consumer staples in vast quantities, nor will he buy mid-range luxuries.

Now if you give the same amount of money to 1 million people, what will they do? They'll go out and buy cars, watches, fine food etc. This will ramp up prices- the phenomenon known as inflation. Expand this to the entire 300 million population of the USA and you should (hopefully) realise why the government can't simply print and hand out money to ordinary citizens. The money must go through a throttling intermediary to slow the effects of inflation.

If you think things are bad now, you won't enjoy hyperinflation.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
LOL everyone with half a brain knows that Bush was a horrible leader.

Everyone with half a brain knows that the republicans just fart out of their mouth when they start spewing the "fiscal conservative" thing.

Republicans are politicians.

Most politicians lie. Most are corrupt.

Most politicians work for their own career and work for those that paid for them.

Most politicians could really care less about he people they represent and are only concerned about working just hard enough to sucker them in the next election while pushing the policies that favor their real benefactors.

But guess what?

Democrats are politicians too.

It takes half a brain to know that Bush and the republicans were pathetic, but use the other half and realize the democrats are pathetic as well.

Bush used fear mongering for a fat bailout saying that the sky will fall if nearly a trillion dollars were not given to the banks, yet half of that isn't even spent yet.

Obama is using fear mongering saying the sky will fall if nearly a trillion dollars isn't spent on a stimulus package where much of it goes to the institutions that supported Obama during the elections. So Obama is giving to the banks and ACORN at the same time.

See the pattern there.

Obama and the democrats are in control here, not Bush. Obama is pushing for this giant stimulus which only goes to a certain class of Americans while everyone else sucks the inflation and tax increases.

Stop ignoring the present while crying about the past.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu

Im sorry, Iraq has nothing to do with 9/11. We have no reason to be there. We wasted over a trillion over a war that has no reason other that Bushie and his personal business, oil or otherwise. The Iraq war most certainly didnt pull the nation out of a "recession" because it costs $200 million a day.

It doesnt. Although it'd be hard to believe it has nothing to do with our current situation as its a war that does not benefit us, had no reason, and yet it cost us over a trillion and $200 million a day which could better be spent on our nation and our own issues.

I said the 9/11 recession. The Iraq war has cost nowhere near $1 trillion, but I guess that figure comes from the same 'sources' which say we killed over 1 million Iraqis. War spending is great for the economy. Have your taxes gone up to pay for the war?
You are the one who linked the Iraq war to the current economic 'crisis', whose foundations are in the housing 'crisis.'

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join