It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mini Prefab Dwellings Off-grid & on a Shoe-string

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I am a female and I am currently using a humanure toilet on my rural property where we camp in the summer and it works great! So far everyone that has used it has been just fine with it. I built an outhouse and put a box in it with a toilet seat on one side of the top and the other side holds a mix of wood shavings (animal bedding from the feed and supply) and peat moss. There is a 5gal bucket in the box under the seat and after you go you just toss a little mix on top. When needed we dump the bucket in the "potty compost" pile and toss some grass clippings on top. There has never been noxious odors from either the potty or the compost pile. It does smell when you dump the bucket, but only for a minute. We wash out the buckets with soap/bleach water and a toilet brush and then leave that bucket to air out while using a cleaned bucket for the replacement.
We camped out for years and my 7yr old niece would never use the outhouse in a campground always insisting on going in the woods because it smelled so bad, but she has no problem using our new outhouse.
I highly recommend this method. It is healthy and can be used in your bathroom at home if you lose sewage services. You just need a place to empty your bucket outside and materials for covering it.
All you need is a 5gal bucket with one of those snap on toilet seats and the composting material - sawdust, shavings or peat moss. The peat moss gives an earthy smell and we found a mix of about 1/4 peat moss to 3/4 shavings works well.
People tend to freak when first thinking about this idea but it is not a bad thing. The guy that came up with this and has a multitude of research on the safetly and health issues (none!) has his entire book online for anyone to read and I suggest doing that.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Well I managed to find an on-line book called The Humanure Handbook.
There is a hard copy available for a reasonable price.
To tell you the truth,as I strive towards a simpler lifestyle,the only time poo came into the equation it was hitting the fan.Thanks for the heads up ANON and All seeing I.

The Humanure handbook

[edit on 13-2-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

[edit on 13-2-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
[

Thanks for the links TAS. A couple of them didn't quote a price (that I noticed).
The rest were in the 30-40K range. Not really do-able for me
(or, I suspect for a lot of people) but does give the handman some good ideas.

i mostly see yuppie 'pads', for those wall street types who got their bonuses and need a place to park their windfalls... what better than the pretense of an eco-friendly dome or mini getaway Fad Platz...
very few were 'off-grid' models, most were designed to be fabricated by
subs, such as lifting reinforced concrete&steel into place...

every site was loaded with video advertizements and a whole lot of bandwidth useage

+++++++++++++++++

afterthought:

In Today's news; there are 62,000 production line workers at GM that are being offered 'buyouts' on their retirement packages...
send them a link to the thread

also see; Quonset Hut, at wikipedia...add solar for D.C. appliances, add a hand pump for well water, wood burning iron stove, chemical or compost toilet,
& barn for the livestock which none of those cute pre-fab industry offered

www.hollowtop.com...
(experiment to see if the URL still works)

hey, thanks ....

[edit on 13-2-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

The one point that you didnt make in your excellent post was that if you are going to build one of these composting toilets, then switch to a vegetarian diet for it to work properly

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Alot of these houses look like a great idea for the do it yourself kinda guy though I have to ask if these houses, specially the styrofoam homes, are structurally sound.

What would happen if I ran up and kicked the wall? or If a rain, or snow storm came blowing through? Mother Earth can be cruel sometimes could these houses withstand earthquakes and hurricanes?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
TORTOISE SHELL HOMES

Tumbleweed house on a budget.

They have turnkey off-grid setups as well.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Thank you Hotrod... there's your answer 2Resist... as well as mine.

Steal frame on top of tires... earthquake, fire, termites are covered...and in the case of a tornado/hurricane situation you could simply drive it out of harms way.

I am now officially leaning towards the unfurnished Model 3 The Galapagos, which i could flesh out with construction site scraps... and to cover myself in theft... install GPS tracking in the floor or walls before finishing. Mind you, even in a MadMax type of end times... the GPS satellites should still be working.

& to Citizen S... you have revealed a very valid point, most people would be clueless to. The only reason i comprehend is because i was once a vegan during my undergrad days. Those who are serious about survival once the proverbial "sh!t hits the fan" you need to do your homework on vegetarian diets... iron and B12 can be obtained via the greens... all you need are seeds, just make sure they didn't come from monsanto.

[edit on 16-2-2009 by The All Seeing I]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join