It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mini Prefab Dwellings Off-grid & on a Shoe-string

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Grabbing a couple off the grid acres and setting up a safe house makes a lot of sense in light of some of the worst predictions these days. Here are some of my findings so far in this search:

Styrofoam Dome Homes

Universal World House

Tumbleweed Tiny House Company

Earthship Biotecture

Loftcube

MetroCabin

ModernCabana

Pole Houses

House in a Box

Geodesic Dome Homes

Single Hauz

WeberHaus

Floating Homes

[edit on 9-2-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
These are some great ideas. I also like this one.

greenbuildingelements.com...

Won't it be a grand world when we not beholden and in debt to someone else for our very shelter. Plant a nice organic Garden - and live a little.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The thing i like about the styrofoam dome houses is that you could with a little work coat the outside with 6+ inches of reinforced concrete using the styrofoam dome as a inside form.

This would make a very strong well insulated structure.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Those are all very cool.

The only issue is unless you are isolated they might draw attention.

Ive always thought about taking a standard shipping container and building a berm over it. Bury it about 1-2 feet in ground to settle it and pile about a foot of dirt over it and basically make a mound except on the ends.

Give you some insulation and blast protection,

Plant grass on the top or better yet raspberries that grow like weeds

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Thank You!

These give me some ideas on a summer project. I will have to bookmark a couple of these.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
No love left for a yurt?

I have thought of doing a pyramid with 1/2 to 2/3 of it being below ground with hidden access of course to the underground section.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Dude, I swear when I was very young I wanted to live in a house that looked like a mushroom! Maybe I can finally pull it off.
No, I did not smoke pot!

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Styrofoam Dome Homes LOOK GOOD
I wish they came in bigger packages and the do the concrete cover up!

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by The All Seeing I

Was familiar with some of the structural designs.

Great thread.

Thanks much for your thoughtful and diligent research and sharing.

I think folks who realize the traumas ahead need to give serious thought to one of such types of homes for a bug-out struture; survival structure of greater structural integrity and survivability than maybe what they are in now etc.

I'm thinking that the Japanese foam domes could be coated in ferro cement and be very fire resistent as well as durable in hurricanes and quakes.

Thanks much.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Shipping Container Conversions:

Since we are no longer an exporting nation, there are a vast number of steel shipping containers abandoned in our ports. Some innovative designers/developers have created indestructible shelter/homes out of this surplus:

ECO-Nomad

Softstainless

ECO-PODS

Port-a-Bach

Global Portables

HybridSeattle

[edit on 9-2-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Thanks for the links TAS. A couple of them didn't quote a price (that I noticed). The rest were in the 30-40K range. Not really do-able for me (or, I suspect for a lot of people) but does give the handman some good ideas.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
A little improvising on materials will bring the price down substantially, i.e.
The Tumbeweed model "EPU" this woman assembled herself with mostly salvaged materials, bringing the price at 42K down to 10k:

[edit on 10-2-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
In this same direction of this innovative approach/spirit...

Dan Phillips, Founder & Director of Phoenix Commotion Huntsville, TX

[edit on 10-2-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   

I have long thought these containers to be an excellent idea for an emergency shelter/eco home.
Star to you and the OP. Let's try to keep this thread at the top!

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Here's a more revealing look at Dee William's version of the tumbleweed model. Looks like she eliminated the shower and made other adjustments to accommodate for a higher ceiling for her 'living room' space.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
The styrofoam dome houses could also be done with paper crete. You mix the paper mache substance in a cement mixer with cement or possibly, as in cob houses, natural clay or minerals.
I love cob houses, and earthship homes with tires for insulation, and systems set up for naturally utilizing and recycling all of your water.

This is a terrific thread!

Edit to add: I remembered an article about a couple that sewed their own 2000 square foot tent home, with many layers of fabric, for around 5,000 dollars, and built it on a foundation with electricity and plumbing so it may also be possibly to combine this with the others, or put on extra weather proofing layer on, and keep warmer.

I'm less concerned with hiding, or going unnoticed. To me homes built underground or into solid safe hills, are more about protection from the elements, solar flares and the like. As far as a mad max , every man for himself kind of survival, we should be concerned for our entire communities and set up groups to show films, and educate people. Also to collect seeds and pool our resources, our tools, build ham radios and arrange protection (slingshots, bows and other things if necessary, but not something you just do authomatically)
Its only in community and in ensuring your town survives that you can hold up your head. We need to be cooperative, and also to try and preserve clean technology so that nothing sends us back to the dark ages, never again does that happen. But for a short period of time, we may have to live as the natives did. Community, not lone wolf style.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by mystiq]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I am lusting for one of these babies

Shepherd's hut

my own little room in the backyard.

or wherever. Just roll it on a cheap utility trailer and bug-out

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Most of these don't seem very viable in a Sit x situation. Although many are quite cute. Small log homes are easy to build with plans but. underground lairs are hard to keep dry in some cases. I guess having some land is the key and having friends to help build those new dream homes somewhere is important.
Hay bales make great insulation by the way.

When the survival thing happens. if your not lucky ,the mountain bike most likely will be your method of transportation and your BOB will all you'll be carrying.

building a Home

[edit on 11-2-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
This is more what I had in mind for price range, size, etc. Some great links have been listed and lots of ideas shown.
Keep 'em coming.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Excellent reference there whitewater. We should really make an asserted collective effort to flesh out the content topics of this book. A lot of terrain that one should cover before investing any serious time/energy/money.

One dilemma i see as the biggest challenge is sewage, and i'm not talking about grey water. Though the solution maybe as simple as pissing in a sink and doing a number2 in a box full of sawdust or kitty litter
I don't know how well this would go over with the ladies, but you know us guys we're pretty flexible. (The $25 (or less) Hinged-Top Humanure Toilet):
Needless to say, i think it would be in everyone's best interest to have a redundant air circulation system setup either directly to the box or very close by.

Next challenging if not more so, is the washing of clothes.
No one is going to want to do them by hand the old fashion way.
I found a great solution but it unfortunately takes up quite a bit of room:

A middle-school student in Guandong province in China figured out a way to run a washing machine without electricity. He rigged up a washing machine to a stationary bicycle and pedaled until the clothes were clean. He demonstrated that you can wash your clothes, keep in shape, and protect the environment at the same time.

source: www.weirdasianews.com...

[edit on 12-2-2009 by The All Seeing I]

[edit on 12-2-2009 by The All Seeing I]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join