It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Such HATE towards cops?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Let me first say that one of my best friends plan on becoming a cop, and plenty of his relatives are cops or have been cops.

It is obvious of the few "abuses" of power. Such as, turning the sirens on and just speeding through town. Saying that being stuck in traffic could have prevented them from getting somewhere is all that is needed to be said to get off any sort of hook regarding that.

But why does half of ATS hate cops? With all my experience being with cops (in and out of uniform), they are just normal people. Many of the service men are looking to put a good smack down on criminals and do what they love most - helping other people.

There are despicable cases in all lines of work. From simple waiters, food preps, to cops and business owners. Much of the crowd here seems to accept ignorance and mindless rebuttal just because it is anti-establishment.

Have any of you had rough encounters involving law enforcement; not just watching some video on You Tube and sticking the image of one abusive cop on all of the ones who are actually out there to serve and protect the people?

I just need a space to vent...

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

You are clearly an antidisestablishmentarianist.

Who needs one line when you can have two?

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I think that saying half of ATS is a little bit overkill. Try 20%

Yeah, I think that the government could do a much better job in choosing who should become law enforcement and who shouldn't.

I've made a conclusion that 95% of the time you're dealing with the law, if you're polite you usually are better off. I've been let off many times when I shouldn't have.

Cops usually have a distinct problem with authority. They love to abuse this power, however it isn't true with all of them.

Cops usually do what they're told and some abuse their power. It's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Half of ATS though?

Nah, not half.

Maybe 1/5th, at best.

We need law, otherwise people would be raping murdering and pillageing through the streets.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
There was this one cop when I was in my teens and he made my life miserable almost on a daily basis. Would confiscate my car. Diss me for drinking. Even if I was polite he wouldn't listen. I couldn't call him "Officer". He insisted that I call him Dad.

I grew up around cops. The same as anything else, there were a few asshats among the bunch. Law of averages.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Half was an over statement

We all get nervous (another over statement!) when driving and we see a cop behind us. Even then, it is their job to enforce the law.

Corruption can take over any person. Having power does not help either.

When in possession of so much power and so many weapons compared to a normal person - a cop may step over the line, especially when dealing with criminals that can endanger their life in an instant.

I try to follow a simple rule in life...

Don't judge a man until you have walked a mile in their shoes.

I, for one, have not walked more then 10 feet in anyone else's shoes but my own so I am not one to label certain people evil.

So - any of you have bad experiences with the law?

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Love the set up haha. I started thinking "What the hell were you doin"!

As the population increases, so do laws. Its just...natural. I could explain further if needed.

I am waiting to see a response from someone who agrees along the lines that we are about to implement martial law and all cops are evil pigs?

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

It depends what you mean by bad

Let's see, there was a bad expierence when I got taken to juvenille hall drunk at 17, homeless etc.

Another bad expierence when I was half naked trying to hot tub at hotel wasted and being loud, thought the cop was my friends leaving. Although he was quite nice. He even allowed me to go and look for my clothes with him, and then I woke up in the drunk tank, 18.

There's alot more, but it's all boring.

In my hometown of Grover Beach, California there was a cop of GBPD who had been on the force for quite some time, unknowningly he was a paedophile and molested his daughter repeatedly and made videos of it, and then he promoted beastiality paedophilia with his daughter etc.

Anyways, he ended up reaping what he sowed, he paddled off of Shell Beach, CA in a canoe and blasted himself in the face with a .50 cal.

Iunno, I'm not one way or the other about police. They've been very nice to me in my situations, however many times I have not been so nice back.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Even in the case the NWO implemented martial law, the cops wouldn't be aware of what they're doing and I'm sure many would realize that what they are doing is wrong and fire on the predecessors.

the NAVY is a perfect example, these trained killers know they are fighting for their country, not fighting their country.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I think alot of it is, its the new cool thing to do, like dissing America is the new in thing.One of my best friends dad is a cop and he is one of the most beautiful souls on the planet and he tells me funny cop stories.I know a couple of other cops through friends an they are ok too, but like Intrepid said some are just asshats but id rather have them here than not.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I have to admit that my experiences with COPS have been generally polite even when they were issuing me a ticket. had a few cops even let me off before.

But I'll be honest I've met cops in broad daylight where the smell of alcohol on their breath was obvious from 5 feet away. luckely he was giving me driving direction. but it was obvious he was a little tipsy and on duty working Beverly blvd right across the street from a major major mall. LAPD. nice huh.

Another time I saw the entire (at least a dozen cops and several detectives) west valley division of the LAPD cover for one of their greener LAPD officers who caused a catastrauphic accident that seriously injured 3 girls and broke the back of said officer who had to be extracted from his cop car with the jaws of life. Man were lawyers who actually witnessed the accident lining up to defend these girls.

But like most police forces that cover their own, the detectives were blatently writing down false statements from the witnesses who were calling them on it. in response the cops said well we could arrest you for obstructing our duty. then the local news reporters showed up. the same detectives then told them that they had to leave the area (they were standing 200 feet away) or they would all be arrested. The reporters started reciting their legal rights. the detective just laughed. in the morning I checked the newspaper and wouldn't you know it. the official story is that it was all the girls fault not the cops. even though about 200 witnesses (no joke) say the cops were full of BS. the incident happened right infront of a posh restaurant and a few bars with people standing on the sidewalk patio about 30 feet from the accident.

So yeah. it's safe to say that by and large almost every police dept. is corrupt in one way or another. anybody ever heard of dennis zine?

but in traffic stops I've been treated nicely by the cops. but I have seen them do heinious things. and I'm sure I'm not the exception.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I know many cops, being that my grandfather was a cop. My mother is still very close to their children, and they also went into the police force.

However, they are also violent. Of the 5 my mother is close to, I have personally witnessed 3 of them hitting their children unnecessarily.

A lot of them are horribly violent. It is often a mix between their home lives and their work lives. Being a cop is hard and frustrating.

Is there any reason you can see for them having hit this Code Pink protester? She was being completely nonviolent.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
There is an old saying: Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

This is true of many people who become police officers. Obviously not all but more than those that are caught. Those that are caught are but a small percentage of the total amount of corrupt cops.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
So yeah. it's safe to say that by and large almost every police dept. is corrupt in one way or another.

You're equating all police services to the LAPD?

Sorry to laugh but that's like comparing the Boy Scouts to the Nazis just because they were both male.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Actually Intrepid you have a point. the LAPD is pretty militaristic. the Santa Monica police dept. is a good example of a police force with a good standing with their citizens. They are pretty pro.

But it is true the power corrupts. Cops are no exception.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I see what some of you are saying (LAPD stories for example).

Power corrupts you say?

Well, there will always be leaders (whether you incorporate that with cops or the president), and there will always be followers.

So - by that logic there will always be corrupt leaders!

How do we as the followers (some of you may be a leader, but I am saying follower with the definition of having no "real" power), make sure the leaders do not go over the top?

The point I am trying to make is that there is a stereotype that COPS are all bad. That the people who join the force are bound to become twats.

I will agree that cops are prone to be more violent by my own observations of the ones I know. Abuse may be a bit far - but I have seen the whistle blow a few times.

Stereotypes are not "bad". Generalizations are not either. It is the easiest way to describe a group of people. It seems to me though that the ones made here on ATS are false. One video does not portray ALL cops, and one voter does not portray ALL voters for a given candidate. It just makes me annoyed when I see such biased rhetoric with no real fact.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Many users on ATS love to hate on the police and ride bandwagons since they don't have anything else better to do. Hating on the police is the new thing now with everyone which shows the class of most people. Pretty sad if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I have known all kinds of cops. Some are even my friends but I do notice a certain kind of mindset...

My Father was the chief psychologist for Rehab and Corrections in the state of Ohio. He worked in almost every prison in Ohio at one time or another. I watched him over the years become more jaded towards inmates. Never at the personal level always at the more generic levels. There were days where he would go to look in at an inmate because of true concern, and that inmate would see my Dad as "part of an oppressive system", and throw feces and urine on him. Over the years this had a wear on him and he became somewhat jaded. It was light and when I would confront him on it he found release but it would happen nontheless.

I think people's attitude towards cops follows a very similar pattern. Very few people when confronted with interactions with law enforcement see the very militaristic actions as appropriate for their moments. This as well as a resentment for "being caught" leads to a true resentment towards authority that in their opinion should be righting greater wrongs than the fact that they were speeding or whatever.

All cops are not bad, but some are. Law enforcement is a difficult job when you consider they must balance their safety against your rights.

Unfortunately many cops are caught up in the power that the position lends them. They ruin the honor and nobleness of an officer that really upholds the spirit of the law.

I pray that officers have the courage to stand against a system they may find themselves in that is very corrupt, like Frank Serpico did.

Cops are not bad but there are many, many bad cops.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
The area of the country makes a big difference in cops. California cops are typically a beast by themselves. I believe that people are also tending towards dislike of cops because the court system seems very pliant to the cops point of view as opposed to impartial.

Another old saying: There is a fine line between police and criminal.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I have not been against a cops word or court at all (yet!).

I thought the citizen was supposed to be looked at in a brighter light then the cop? Now - that does sound naive, I can not give a certain word.

Obviously, there will be more corrupt cops then lets say plumbers. No one has yet gave me a good reason to hate the "job" of being a "cop". None of you have had that intention either (so it seems).

You fellow members made me see the general population of ATS in a more realistic light. At first, I was getting the impression that many hated the law for no real reason

Long live justice...

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
If you check this thread out you should be able to find out the reason for your question.

Quite an extensive mix of views and covers the same question you raise...

Rgds

top topics

<<   2 >>

join