It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It’s creeping up on us faster than you think.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
You may argue its not global warming its global cooling or whatever the hell you like. It’s creeping up on us faster than you think. While the majority of members on ATS are more concerned about UFOs and 2012, our survival is at risk. Australia is going through a climate change that everyone is feeling at its full force right now.

The article I have attached “Australia Faces Collapse as Climate Change Kicks in: Are the Southwest and California Next?” is not sensationalizing everyone should take heed of what’s changing and how fast it’s changing.
In the article the author I think rightly suggests that “Australia is the canary in the coal mine for climate-driven desertification”. He goes on to point out that “Australia, the driest inhabited continent on earth, is regarded as highly vulnerable. A study by the country’s blue-chip Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization identified its ecosystems as "potentially the most fragile" on earth in the face of the threat.”

There are cyclones and flooding to the north and fires killing a hundreds of people to the south and that’s the headlines. Behind the scenes we are losing the barrier reef and other eco systems that have been around millions of years.

Irreversible for 1000 years is a gloomy prospect not for us but the generations to follow. I like this line from another article “we have forced the next 50 generations to endure endless misery because we were too damn greedy to give up 0.1% of our GDP each year”.

Well it’s too late now we have stuffed it well and truly. If only governments took some notice we could have started doing something about it 10 years ago that may have limited it to perhaps 800 year recovery. John Howard blindly followed Bush with his stand there is no global warming, instead he should have listened to his own scientists CSIRO.

Whatever you think - It’s creeping up on us faster than you think.

Australia Faces Collapse as Climate Change Kicks in: Are the Southwest and California Next?

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
The earth is changing, that we all know, but i don't think it's fair to assume that it's happenning any faster than it would have. We all know that Global Warming, as far as it being man made, was simply a Hoax to get some cash into Gore's pocket.

The Sun is getting hotter and hence our climate is changing, yes I agree that our governments aren't doing anything even remotly usefull about this, they seem to be preoccupied with they're precious made up economy.

In the end whatever comes will come, we might never recover, there is drastic change coming to the world and nobody on this planet can say what and when that will happen.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Far out thread,starred,Unfortunetly most will overlook these most important signs of the times and not have any idea as to what is really going on around them.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
It's too bad that environmental stuff has become so politicized, a "right" versus "left" issue. It's something we should all be working on but too often people's rigid ideological stances lead them the knee-jerk reactions. The fact of the matter is that the earth is fragile in many ways (fragile to human survival that is...the earth itself is quite robust and life in some ofrm will continue for billions or years...it just might not be human life...).

We need to nail down exactly what is happening on various fronts and then make some hard decisions on what should be done about it. Unfortunately, since the issue has become so ideologically loaded, there seems to be little chance of this happening any time soon.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Oh realy? Let me tell you what will happen.

First of all the goons who run our planet aint got a # clue..

2nd the rape and pillage of this wonderfull planet we will on will not sustaine the human population in the next 10 years..

civil unrest and petty arguments over greed and idoligy will mean war..

we have 2 very clear choices here Regardless

END UP LIKE TREX or get the # out of doge....

its creeeping slow like a cancer in ones body.. its out MINDSET that is our cancer here..

why do so many people think utopia is such a distant dream? why?

GREED POWER CONTROLL AGENDA "IM RIGHT YOU ARE WRONG"

well blow me # over ... we are DOOMED to fail

humans have and do lack more brainpower than ANTS

one day sit on the sidewalk or in the garden and watch ANTS

tell me how the "human race" is or can match "ants"

do you know what happens ? WE FAIL epicaly..

the most smarted up your own arse dumbest # bug on the planet is US

Its not some joke god played on humans ITS REAL we are going to all bring about armagedon becouse we are obsesed with crap meaningless # crap that bares no realtion to ANY normal thing on this ROCK we call home..

its like we are sleep walking into our own demise..

what is NOT possible one asks himself as he wakes up in the morning.!

what IS possible? "infinity"

well unless you cant addup and then you end up in the total # mess we are in today..

headless chickens all clucking away as we get our collective HEAD rammed in that "thing" they chop chickens heads off with

we are totaly fubard unless we start acting like the borg.. # the federation i want humans to stay around..

and NO i dont want us all to hold hands and sing kum by yaaaaa.. but lets face it here we are in deep # and its not getting better anytime soon...

people tend to think short term 4 years 10 years..

let me ask you this WHAT do you think the world is going to look like in 50 years from now??

IT SURE AS HELL AINT THE JETSONS!!! tryy something on the lines of totaly wasteland.. with domes you look out of the window becouse the envirotment we wasted used #up and took for granted is GONE

GONE GONE GONE

it makes me happy knowing i wont live forever becouse if i did i would go # insane with the amount of brain dead people who watch pop idol and have NO CLUE why they was PUT HERE

CREATED FOR A REASON.. and it was not self aniolation..

makes me so # mad

i had to rant becouse the topic is sooooooo "grrrrr" in a good/bad way..

Humanity is better than this #fest we find outselfs in!!

forgot to S+F

[edit on 8-2-2009 by theresult]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
yes I argee we the morons in chrage would rather sit back on there fat asses then actually od something useful. lets take the atom bomb for instance some say it was humanity's greatest creation but everytime you use it you screw the environment up for hundreds of years. global warming is real no matter what the dumb # up in washington say. 10 or so years ago hurricanes rarely reached cat 5, nowadays they seem to be getting stronger each year thanks to global warming. I weep for furture generations because there the ones who are really gonna feel it.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Global warming came along and was taught in schools long before Al Gore ever came along, those of you who use Al as a reason to deny the facts are simply masking the truth. Al Gore did not orchestrate a global warming scam, he may be making some money off it, but it is real, it is happening.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Hay Result - I haven’t agreed with you in a number of threads to the point I didn’t even reply to you on them. I know you had a bit of a rant here but its okay it makes me furious too. Stick around and support this thread with your usual gusto.

------------------

I found it hard to tame down my OP but in my way it was also a bit of a rant because I’m sick and tired or people still denying we are in the crap. The financial melt down doesn’t even rate it’s not a close tenth position to this.

I am an amiable person and will try to remain so but I got to say “Wake up world” give your self a good shake.

MJ2

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet

Global warming came along and was taught in schools long before Al Gore ever came along, those of you who use Al as a reason to deny the facts are simply masking the truth. Al Gore did not orchestrate a global warming scam, he may be making some money off it, but it is real, it is happening.

Hear you space cadet you got that right. What burns me is we wasted so much time when we could have been doing something just because governments didn’t want to shell out any cash. Their usual lack of foresight is keeping them busy with money matters right now. Wouldn’t mind betting they are saying they will put climate change on the back burner for now.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by majestictwo

It really upsets me to see so much denial, when I was a kid, first grade, we learned about global warming, I can never forget the illustrations of catstrophe! Flooding,fires earthquakes,mega storms, the melting poles and dying wildlife of them, volcanoes erupting, the helpless looking people, then it was followed up with ' but it will be a thousand years or more, if we do something now...ect', and no one did. Well, it hasn't been anywhere near a thousand years, more like 40 years. The only thing I can remember that has ever really been done was removing cfs from refrigerants, and some spray cans. We had lead in the gas too, when gas went unleaded a deadly rising count of lead in the air just stopped being an issue.

Nobody was making money off it then, we just got a warning, and ignored it. I don't care if Al Gore makes a ton off educating people about it.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I think we have enough data to understand that we are facing major changes in our nature and they endanger humanity.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
hey nps MJ2

Alot of people missunderstand me sometimes "but thats normal"

BUt this Thread is something I totaly agree with, and I just had to rant about it "with my usual gusto" and a pinch of salt hehe

ill stick around

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Thanks all for your input.
The thing is we can’t do much about it now the damage has been done we are trapped with the timer running. We all know this but not everyone sees the sand in the timer running at the same speed. (quote MJ2)

To avoid the worst of the misery we are going to need energy but not energy that will contribute to the effects. We will need energy to keep us warm if you live in a ice age type area. If your down in this neck of the woods energy to run ever bigger a airconditioning units to cool us.

Here’s a couple of news articles you may find interesting.

Australian wildfire ferocity linked to climate change: experts
Wild fires

Governor-General calls for 'best and bravest
Best and bravest

181 people burned to death (and rising) and nothing anyone could do to help.
Forensic investigators are stretched to the limit, 4000 homes affected

Then there is this

Ellie's fury leaves Queensland awash
Cyclone Ellies Fury

I dont mean to be doom and gloom but govenments cant help we have to stuggle through. Do you know the flood victims are raising cash to send to the fire victims

Nothing to do now but get ready for what is coming.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I believe the phrase "global warming" should now be referred to as "extreme climate".I started logging info on the world's weather over 3 years ago and it is evident now that most countries are experiencing one of three things---EXTREME HEAT,EXTREME COLD or EXTREME RAINFALL.Also certainly here in the uk I have noticed the winds are getting pretty ferocious.I really think the line has been crossed.Even with the depression we are currently in I d'ont think less consumption will have too much effect.It may mask things for a while possibly with global dimming but I fear for our children and grandchildren.Hopefully the planet will survive but as far as man is concerned it really could be the end.A good read if anyone is interested is "the revenge of gaia" by james lovelock.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
cut back on arson first?

www.aic.gov.au...

maybe, just maybe the pattern is emerging

www.abovetopsecret.com...

let's just ask who could profit from wildfires besides speculators. maybe it's even a PR thing...

top topics

join