It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bright star half full?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I was just looking at the bright star (I think its Jupiter) in the west. And it looks to be half there. Kind of like the moon when its half full.
I showed it to my wife(without saying anything), and she instantly said "look it going througa an eclipse.
I didn't think that was possable.
Can someone else please give it a look.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Venus goes through phases =D Perhaps it was that?

Cuz it's so close to the earth and the sun, y'see. We can see its dark side.

en.wikipedia.org...

And this is fun, too:

galileoandeinstein.physics.virginia.edu...

Hope that helps =)

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
It's Venus and it is never 'full' when viewed from Earth due to the fact that it's closer to the Sun than we are.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Thanks all. It just made me wonder.
Learn something new everyday.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by only onus

Im seeing this too, and im in the UK,

to the west there is a Incredblie bright planet, so bright when thin cloud cover went cover it, you could still see it just like the moon does.

now im pretty sure its not venus, if i remember coreclty venus sparkles a bit more and is low on the horizan, This other bright one is a lot higher up and stays in the sky a lot longer then venus does,

i read some where here that it is jupitar but im sure they said it should of moved away and not be so bright,

Im not a 2012 follower but ive read there theorys but could it be something heating up jupitar and maybe its going to go all 2010 on us
LOL!

tho im pretty sure its just jupitar having its moment in our limelight, once in 2000yr or so condtions, star of bethleham?

TreX

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TreX-UK

It's Venus. Check for yourself. Link. Just enter your location and time of day and it will give you a map of the night sky for your location.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

May I suggest that you contact a local astronomy club and ask them to check on the exact location and get a correlation that way. Everyone seems to think that its a planet without actually checking with anyone who can actually do a measurement.

We're on a website that uses proof as evidence and we use someone's word saying " I know astronomy, its venus... or jupiter"... well how about using the resources we have of these great knowledgeable people who would be glad to have the chance to assist.

You must also remember that it may not be a planet.... Check out this website that states

Fm Share
Look now for the biggest miracle of all. In the very near future a large, bright star will appear in the sky visible to all throughout the world – night and day.

It could be part of project BlueBeam , using holograms and projections.... It's been prophesied by those knowledgeable in the coming deceptions.

Rgds

[edit on 11-2-2009 by AllTiedTogether]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllTiedTogether

May I suggest that you contact a local astronomy club and ask them to check on the exact location and get a correlation that way. Everyone seems to think that its a planet without actually checking with anyone who can actually do a measurement.

I can confirm that it's venus.

I took that photo of it with my scope not long ago. It's not a hologram, goto scopes don't lie.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Thank you NGC... I think of all the threads I've seen on this your the first who's actually stated that he used something that confirmed the coordinates of said star.

Rgds

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllTiedTogether
We're on a website that uses proof as evidence and we use someone's word saying " I know astronomy, its venus... or jupiter"...

It could be part of project BlueBeam , using holograms and projections.... It's been prophesied by those knowledgeable in the coming deceptions.

Chill man! It's an interesting thread.

It's fairly easy to quantify a known celestial body, a few numbers would help maybe (azimuth declination and time etc)

In the same post you mentioned 'proof' etc AND project bluebeam! bluebeam is far from 'proof'
that one rates quite highly on the crackpot conspiricy o'meter in my books

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Your ability to dismiss all the evidence that has been put forward about the BlueBeam subject is amazing. I mean the fact that you can say that its all wrong and has NO bearing on anything else.. Amazing... but you do your research differently...

As for quantifying a celestial body, that's why I suggested it.... as I stated, I haven't seen anyone yet provide what NGC provided, in the way of pics and a statement saying he used a "GoTo" telescope that steered toward venus.

As for chilling... Yes I am.. it's 13DegC in here..

Thank you and have a great day...

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AllTiedTogether

Yes, it's true I used Goto on my scope to get the above picture, but it's also true that it's far from necessary (I've just been made lazy by my scope). You can always do things the old fashioned way, simply by knowing where and when the planets should be. Star charts are the main resource that anyone can use; I recommend Stellarium or Cartes du Ciel, both free programs.
www.stellarium.org...
www.stargazing.net...
I use both, sometimes even to control my telescope remotely (remember, I'm a lazy astronomer). If ever you have any doubt about a star in the sky, you can look it up with either of the above if you know how to read a chart. Is a goto scope more precise? Sure, but if your chart says that Venus is at some crazy negative magnitude and is located 30 degrees in the west just after sunset, you won't be able to miss it. If there's something there that shouldn't be there then you'll see it in addition to Venus, and if Venus isn't there... well, then start looking for darth vader lol.

[edit on 11-2-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Sky at 10 tonight

Ok that big star just left of the bottem left hand star in the Orion constastion is what im seeing REALLY bright,

its not marked up as being a planet....The top left star in Orion is Bettleguse which is one of the largest starts known,

so what is this object?!?!

going to try and get some photos tonight but only got mobile to catch the photos on

Just been doing some more looking,

It could be Sirrus we are seeing, but why it is SO bright who knows

[edit on 12-2-2009 by TreX-UK]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by TreX-UK
Sky at 10 tonight

Ok that big star just left of the bottem left hand star in the Orion constastion is what im seeing REALLY bright,

It could be Sirrus we are seeing, but why it is SO bright who knows

Yes, it is sirius, and it's the brightest star in the night sky.

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

aye but ive never noticed it this bright before, and ive been watching the sky for years

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TreX-UK

So have I, and I can promise you it's no different than in previous years. Sirius is very slightly variable due to its orbiting white dwarf companion star, but the change in brightness is extremely slow with a period of 50 years and it's a visually imperceptable change as well.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

What are the specs on your telescope?

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I'd have to say that unless someone gets a real professional astronomer to check this out we will all be wondering... right? I mean ngc appears to be an astronomer but would you use his word to confirm that it's what he says or would you ask for proof? Wouldn't it take a picture from an astronomer to prove he saw an asteroid?

Noone, not even those that have the stellarium program or any other program that plots the sky has come out and said that it perfectly matched this or that and provided a picture to confirm. Why? because they can't confirm, because they don't know.

Hence what I'm saying below.... whatever this thing is, my suspicion is a projection of some type, they know about it and thats why NO astronomer will talk publicly about it. They would look like fools....

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AllTiedTogether

Yes it's Venus, and it appears half full due to the position of it in relation to us viewing it from earth and the angle of the illumination (sun's light).

Here's a chart that explains graphically how the moon has different phases:

I'll dumb the chart down for those who aren't math-inclined. When the moon is between our viewing position and the sun it is a new moon, and we can't see it because the side that is being lit up is the side away from us. When the moon is at a 90 degree angle from our viewing position, we can see 1/2 of what is lit up, which is why the moon looks half-full. When the moon is on the other side of us (not literally, but on the chart!) it appears full, because the suns light is lighting up the entire side of it we can see.

The same thing happens to Venus and all the other planets in the sky that are closer to the sun than us (not the same phases of the moon, obviously).

Looking at the photo of Venus posted above, it appears we have about a 90* angle view of it, so it appears half-full because we can only see half of what is illuminated by the sun.

It's simple math and angles.

[edit on 13-2-2009 by ProfessorRusso]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorRusso

You may be dumbing that down for those that don't no math but I'll state this down for those that don't understand what I said earlier...

A group that use to be pushed into the public eye by the United Nations called Share International made statements in December that all around the world people would see a bright object in the sky. It would be bright and seen during the night as well as the day.
We are currently seeing evidence of this unknown bright object on several websites, ATS is one, where people around the world are unable to prove that it is infact a planet or star. No one has provided documented proof.

This proof would be in having pictures that could match where these starcharts put the celestial bodies at any given time.

The chart you have provided is as good as getting a picture and suspecting its from the US and finding out its from Australia. Not much good.

Hopefully we can find a motivated astronomer who can provide evidence instead of conjectures.

Rgds

[edit on 13-2-2009 by AllTiedTogether]

[edit on 13-2-2009 by AllTiedTogether]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join