It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you not perpetuate the lies/unclears?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
My kids and all their friends are getting the 'official' line on what happened at school in history. They come home with questions and I can't answer them. I can't lie to them, but I don't know how to tell them ....what I think. Any ideas on how to present alternate ideas without having them engage on it at school? Help appreciated.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I had the same problem with my kids while they were growing up. The important thing i realized is the tell them you're views and present them with some information they can clearly understand and have discussions about them.

The most important thing you can teach them early involves propaganda and it's use on children. I always taught my children to be steadfast, and to ask questions, always doubt where they're information was coming from, and try to find alternative sources.

Ask them how, if they were making up history, how they would envision it, what would have happened in they're book and just relate it to what's being taught in the classroom.

If they return to school and attempt to argue the point to the class, tell them only to do so if they have the documentation or the facts to back it up, becaus then you're child is doing everybody else a service.

Actually in my experience, you want them to challenge the school's teachings, it will force them to get better teachers or for the teachers to involve the students in objective discussions arguing points on both sides, instead of just saying...this is how it happened.

It will encourage debate, the school can't argue against kids learning from different points of views and being exposed to all kinds of knowledge, that would be counter-productive.

[edit on 2/8/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Thanks...useful ideas. I earned myself a bit of a rep when I disagreed with creationism...trying not to rock the boat so much this time around. any sites you know of that would have information that kids could digest on different 'theories' without being too out there?

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by valedintent

Well i don't know of any websites that would provide such services, they're mostly filled with propaganda and what not.

Trust in your instincts, you more than anybody else knows how to talk to your kids and get information accross. Just do what you normally do when you're having a serious conversation. Engage them maybe in a documentary about world affairs or pertaining to what they're learning right now.

There are tons of tools available, but the way to go about it is all in your head, you're they're parent and parents know best.

Might i ask how old they are?

Ohh and feel free to U2U me if you need anything else, i'll keep an eye on the thread aswell.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
They are nine and six, but really really bright. Appreciate your support. It's hard to listen to them tell me about 911 (and other things) that I don't believe to be true. With an adult, I'd level with them. I am not so sure I want to instill my distrust of the milksop we are fed by the media so young...but I can't have them growing up buying it.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

In that case with children that young I would start by explaining mis-information and how it can be used to help others fuel they're own agenda.

I'd use examples of things they like...TV shows, movies, you can find examples pretty much anywhere.

Encourage them to ask questions and demand an answer.

As worried as you are about it, I know you're doing a great job already, and you'll be just fine.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Probably not supposed to post just to say thanks...but your encouragement makes me think that maybe I can talk about this without screwing it up. Cheers for helping the newbie.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

You're very welcome, and until you get you're 20 posts in and are able to use the private message system, posting thank you's in threads is just fine.

~Keeper

new topics

top topics

join