It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Arrogance + Ignorance = Creationism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
First, let me be crystal clear that I am not an atheist. I have a very deep belief in the Divine. Due to my beliefs, however, I have been called a heretic, an atheist, a blasphemer, etc. etc. etc. This tends to prove my point. Now on to the topic at hand.

"Our World Is In Peril..." These five words were the first words used in every episode of Captain Planet & The Planeteers and never have these words been more true than today. The main cause of wars and inequality in our world today? ORGANIZED RELIGION! The justification for inequality for women and gays? ORGANIZED RELIGION! The underlying reason for the endless string of wars in the Middle East? ORGANIZED RELIGION! The reason that the NY skyline is short two buildings? ORGANIZED RELIGION! And what do the the three major world religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) have in common? THE CREATION MYTH!

Every Religion and all of the different denominations of Christianity assume that they are right and everyone else is wrong and doomed to an eternity in Hell. Arrogance! They all assume that they know how & when the Universe was created dispite what science says. Arrogance! They all assume they know who & what "God" is. Extreme Arrogance!

The justification for these beliefs? "God said so!" through ancient texts written by ancient peoples who thought the world was flat and the center of the Universe! And these texts have been transcribed and translated many, many times. One of my favorite assuptions, "God created Man in His own image." Talk about human arrogance!

To assume that we can even comprehend who or what "God" is is extreme ignorance and arrogance, plain and simple. To not question spiritual matters and to explore them on your own is a waste of the incredible mind that you have been endowed with.

IMHO, it does not matter how or if you believe. That is not why we are here. "God" does not care whether or not you believe or how you believe. We are here to learn and grow so that we may eventually return to the Divine Source from which we were once a part of. We are not 'judged' on our spiritual beliefs while on this plane of existance, but instead we are 'judged' on how we lived our lives (not just this one, but all of the lives we have lived and will live. If you do not believe in reincarnation, I suggest past life regression. If you are right, you have nothing to lose as you will not recall any past lives. If you are wrong, it will expand your knowledge of the Divine.) Did we treat others fairly and with love for our fellow man? Or did we treat others poorly with distain and inequality? (California Proposition 8, anyone???)

Spirituallity is an individual and personal journey that is hindered and not helped by organized religion. I challenge those who practice an organized religion to explore other philosophies and come to your own conclusions. Do not just blindly believe what you have been told by others. None of us will ever really comprehend Divinity, and that is the begining of true knowledge. We are about as likely to understand and comprehend spirituallity as an ant has of understanding and comprehending the Space Shuttle.

On the topic of spirituallity, the ATS motto does not fit, but instead we should 'Accept Ignorance' as we will always be ignorant on the true nature of Divinity while on this plane of existance. Equally important on this subject is that we should 'Deny Arrogance'. The "we're right and you're wrong" mentality abundant in most religions is the ultimate example of this arrogance. Try to remember that science may have disproven the ancient notions of our origins, but it has not and cannot disprove the existance of the Divine, but it just may help us define who and what it is, at least to some small, microscopic extent.

Religion is not the answer to the problems our world faces today, and in many instances it causes or contributes to the problems we face. What do we need? I think the Beatles said it best:

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I wrote a poem with almost the same thought.
The line in the poem is something like this...
Ignorance and arrogance can blind a man,an illusion of elegance is in his hand.
I had to reply to this one.

[edit on 8-2-2009 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Don't forget the fact that religions that teach creationism do so because without it, their religions would be null and void... and that means No More Money!!

I always found it odd that the Catholic Church doesn't teach it... not here in Ireland anyway.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

That's because the Catholic Church has moved to a contextual view of the Old Testament and away from a literal view. I believe that it was John Paul II that formally accepted evolution.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
It's such a pointless debate. The Bible doesn't say literally how God created the world, other than that he did, so no one who subscribes to that book can say they know exactly what happened.

Personally I think it speaks much more to the wisdom of the God in question that he would create man and animals with the ability to adapt to their situation.

Besides that I think it is rather silly to focus this much on the past, essentially arguing over the right of which group can say "Haha, I'm correct!" when there are so much bigger problems in the present.

[edit on 8-2-2009 by asmeone2]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
From what I gather your agnostic. Big difference, like religion ignorance creates a ton of things, but thats the human mind, when we don't know exactly how to explain something our brain will make something up no matter how bizzare put it in there and believe it with everything.

This even goes for False Childhood memories, I believe most of us remember things from when we were small children that just never happened. Very embarrasing at family reunions......

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
All that I have to say, is how can you claim something is a "Myth", when you actually have no knowledge of such?

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
reply to post by Dermo

That's because the Catholic Church has moved to a contextual view of the Old Testament and away from a literal view. I believe that it was John Paul II that formally accepted evolution.

Yes, thats actually exactly how they explained that to us in school. Thanks for the info

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

myth- noun

1. a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, esp. one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.
2. stories or matter of this kind: realm of myth.
3. any invented story, idea, or concept: His account of the event is pure myth.
4. an imaginary or fictitious thing or person.
5. an unproved or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.
   

Dictionary.com

Since the Creation story is unproven and has no determinable basis in fact, it qualifies as a 'myth'.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Human Arrogance + Ignorance = Creationism

Lol, makes sense to me.

And all you need do for proof is look around the origins forum. quod erat demonstrandum

reply to post by asmeone2

Why are you posting if you're feed up with the pointlessness of the argument?

Besides that I think it is rather silly to focus this much on the past, essentially arguing over the right of which group can say "Haha, I'm correct!" when there are so much bigger problems in the present.

So you don't want your bragging rights? Cos I'll have yours if you don't want them.

[edit on 8/2/2009 by Good Wolf]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Good Wolf[/i

Why are you posting if you're feed up with the pointlessness of the argument?

So you don't want your bragging rights? Cos I'll have yours if you don't want them.

[edit on 8/2/2009 by Good Wolf]

I just feel like it is such a waste of time and energy.

When it comes to religiously tinged matters like this I think it is best not to feed the delusions.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   

But if it is never discussed by those who do not believe, it will never change. Silence is not the answer! (I'll split the bragging rights with Good Wolf if you are giving them up!)

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

(I'll split the bragging rights with Good Wolf if you are giving them up!)

Nah I already got dibs.

new topics

top topics

join