It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Best Snare Wire

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Weather your traps by leaving them outside, if using carbon steel wire or cable you can hang them under a shed or shelter so they don't rust completely away.

Before going into the bush to hunt or trap, my clothes and myself are washed in baking soda, just substitute it for wash powder in your automatic washer. Also there are commercially available scent/UV killing wash soaps.

as a final precaution, specific to trapping, keep a couple pairs of gloves in a large gallon ziplock with some moist (not wet, but fresh dug) earth and a couple fresh twigs of pine or cedar.

You can sit 2 feet from a trail and if you are still and camoflauged, critters will walk right by you.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

Regarding the aircraft cable, it is the only way to go if you are targeting large critters like deer. I plan to get some shortly to have in my BOB. Currently I have only trapped smaller animals with snares, but use box traps for the larger things like wild hogs.

I don't know how easily the cable will kink, but any kink will reduce effectiveness and allow a possible escape. I only use stainless wire snares once, they are usually thoroughly thrashed by the time the animal expires.

This fellow seems to know his way around trapping
Buckshot's page

also good info on feral dogs.

[edit on 9-3-2009 by hotrodturbo7]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hotrodturbo7

Traps are actually better than snares in terms of reliability and durability, but they're just too damn heavy for my taste, not to mention the fact that only a complete idiot could mangle themself with a snare wire, whereas all it takes is a momentary lapse of judgement to seriously injure yourself with one of those big bastard bear traps...

If your plan is to bug out to a cabin or something of the sort, then I would definitely advise you get some beaver/bear traps - those things just keep on going, year after year after year. Just don't forget to oil them, or bring a pry bar, or better yet - both!

I actually prefer snares all in all, but traps have their merits too.

<< 1   >>

join