It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

That Call

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Setting the Scene…

You phone your dear friend or work colleague or maybe even your gf/bf. After a nice friendly discussion, the conversation comes to an end and they say, “I will call you back later tonight” You both say your goodbyes and put the phone down.

Later that night…

Maybe your watching TV or chilling out on ATS/BTS, you glance at the clock…it’s 11:45pm. Naturally you start to wonder, when is “that call” going to arrive. You check your phone…you have no new massages and your phone is working perfectly fine. You glance back at the clock and it’s now 11:55pm.

You can’t take anymore and decide to phone THEM back. When they answer the phone, you say, “Hi, is everything ok” to which they reply, “Yeah everything’s fine” and here it comes, you’ve probably all heard this one before…next they say “I was just about to call you lol”

And you reply, “Yeah, Right” and slam the phone down.

Luckily, this doesn’t happen to me, very often but I’m sure we have all been there.

Maybe this rant should be in the joke section.

- JC

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Joecroft

I was just about to reply to your post.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Excellent SDog

Did we talk earlier? lol (Scratches head)

- JC

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Joecroft

Did we talk earlier? lol (Scratches head)

I was going to.

So you hung up the phone, did she/he call you back to apologize?

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Yeah She called back and apologized...

And I said that classic line "I was just about to phone you and apologize" lol

Seriously though - I was just wondering if people had any similiar experiences, that they would like to share.

- JC

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Uh Oh... I am SO that person. I'm that person that everyone calls while I'm in class, writing a mid-term, hiking up the stairs to my dorm room, or driving down the road next to a cop. YUP.

I'm the "I'll call you back later" girl - who sometimes doesn't get a chance to call back because sometimes my homework has to take presidence to whoever is on the phone (Trust me, sometimes i HAVE to do my work...)..

Except I don't lie and say "I was just about to call."

I say "Sorry dude, I couldn't get to calling you tonight, nothing personal, lets talk tomorrow, I just have (insert reason that is due tomorrow/mid-term) to study for my class tomorrow. Is this an emergency? Cuz if it is, I can put off the paper for another hour).

I try to be courteous and call back to say "sorry i can't talk tonight I'll call you back" - but sometimes I can't get to it....

- Carrot

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Happens to me ALL the time buddy... In fact I'm starting to interpret "I'll call you back" as "blah blah blah..."

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
"Call you later" can loosely be translated as " I don't hate you and you haven't inadvertently called me fat lately so if you want to call me back you can and I will act happy about it while secretly telling myself that you are too needy and lucky you have me. "

If she says " I was about to call you." then you know that the above statement is still true.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I'm so angry I didn't get to that joke first...well done

and yes this is frustrating

-Kyo

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Joecroft

The line you DON'T want to hear is: "We need to talk."

That is never a good line or sign.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Oh My God I hate when people use that line....

"We need to talk..."

- Carrot

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Carrot

"Carrot...we need to talk" lol (Joke)

Kidflash2008

Yeah that line “we need to talk” scares the crap out of me

Here’s another line you DON’T want to hear “I think you’re spending a bit to much time on ATS/BTS” lol

edit- spelling

[edit on 9-2-2009 by Joecroft]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Joe... You're not breaking up with me are you?

What I hate, (coming from the opposite spectrum of course) is when you've told someone you will call them back - and you have every intention of doing so... only for some reason it has become literally impossible to call them back due to some unforeseeable circumstances.

So, when you finally DO get a chance to call back - they give you the third degree of "Why didn't you call me!?" and rant for ages about how they needed you and you weren't there... Then when you finally say "Listen something came up (insert reason here)" they go "Oh okay."

What? No Apology? You just ripped a strip off of me for taking care of my own Life first (for once) and all you can say is "Oh Okay....?"

That bugs me. That makes me never want to answer my phone again when certain numbers pop up.

Trust me, I'd rather be the person you call at 3am when you can't sleep and your boyfriend broke up with you and your cat just died. Or when your having a bad hair day and you want to sue your stylist, sure - I don't mind that. But for godsake, cut me some freaking slack when my life goes to hell too and I just need some quiet time to deal with it myself.

That's what bothers me...

- Carrot

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Hey Carrot…

Joe... You're not breaking up with me are you?

LOL No way, I wouldn’t break up with you Carrot, because I like your style…plus…I need the Carrot point’s lol

So, when you finally DO get a chance to call back - they give you the third degree of "Why didn't you call me!?" and rant for ages about how they needed you and you weren't there... Then when you finally say "Listen something came up (insert reason here)" they go "Oh okay."

What? No Apology? You just ripped a strip off of me for taking care of my own Life first (for once) and all you can say is "Oh Okay....?"

Yeah they should definitely apologize, especially after hearing your reason Carrot. I personally would definitely apologize, after hearing a legitimate reason for them not calling me back. That’s why I made a point of asking the person first, “if everything was ok”, so as to avoid such a rant lol

I think if someone just say’s “I’ll call you later” and they don’t, then that is fine and I wouldn’t pester them or make a big deal about it. But if someone say’s they will phone you back that night or at or between a specific time, then they should at least make an effort to do so.

Sometimes people will even throw in the word “promise” lol...but I'm not sure why because that just make's it even worse, when they dont call back. lol

- JC

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Joecroft
LOL No way, I wouldn’t break up with you Carrot, because I like your style…plus…I need the Carrot point’s lol

Toldya. Everyone's gonna want the CarrotPoints - they're the new currency I swear.

Yeah they should definitely apologize, especially after hearing your reason Carrot. I personally would definitely apologize, after hearing a legitimate reason for them not calling me back. That’s why I made a point of asking the person first, “if everything was ok”, so as to avoid such a rant lol

Agreed. It makes me feel like "What the hell? I'm ALWAYS here to answer your call - don't you dare pull the "Why are you so busy" card. I have a life sometimes (rarely) that I need to deal with once in a while too! I have mid-terms! I have final exams! I have papers due! Gah. Wow, I'm not bitter about this conversation, I swear.

Sometimes people will even throw in the word “promise” lol...but I'm not sure why because that just make's it even worse, when they dont call back. lol

If the words "I promise I'll call you right back" have been said, then yes someone should return the phone call. Don't say "I'll call you back" if you have intention of doing so. That's bad phone-manners.

- Carrot

*I blame my keyboard, I keep missing words lately in my posts...

[edit on 2/10/2009 by CA_Orot]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Oh god, My sister does that when I talk to her on the phone and it drives me nuts. She will say she will call me later and if I dont call her I wont here from her in a month. GRRRR

Some times ( and this REALLY bugs the hell out of me) I will be on the phone with her talking and all of a sudden when she is in the middle of saying something to me she stops.... then she starts talking to some one who is in the room with her while I am on the phone.

For god sake, You are already on the phone with me talking. the least you could do is finish your sentence. Once when she did that I didnt say anything. I wanted to see how long she would go. She talked to the person in the room with her for over 7 minutes withe me still on the line.

GRRRRRRRR:w::w:

I never tell some one I will call them back, then dont. Its a pet peeve of mine. If I cant call some one back I tell them that. The fact that I could have some one sitting at home waiting for my call just seems rude to me.

If I cant call them untill quite a bit later I will let them know.

I need a drink, Im going to DATS

[edit on 10-2-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
When I say "I'll call you back later", or "I'll call you" It usually means that I will call you between now and the day I die.

I mean damn, don't be so impatient. :shk:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
its a delicate subject. i do it people and get it done to me, the trick is to not take it personally unless its someone you are close with.

even then they might have a reasonable excuse. the point is to not take it too seriously. fight fire with fire. see how they like it.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Oh gawd, I'm soooo guilty of this. But I don't mean to be. I used to be so OCD-ish about promptness and returning phone calls, calling when I say I will.

Not so much anymore.

And I don't intend to be that way. I get busy or scatter-brained, shut up....lol....and I forget. Then when they call me back I've been guilty of saying, "Oh, I was just picking up the phone to call you." And I'm a very honest person believe it or not, and don't really know why I respond with that. And it's not that I don't have the intention of calling someone back. Maybe it's just my underlying fear that they either want me to babysit their kids or they need $$.

Oh dear, I need therapy....I can't be trusted.

Rush

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Hey Carrot

Your gona love this lol

Exhibit A

From the (YYSLSC) Yarina thread

Reply to post by Joecroft on (4-2-09) from CA_Orot

Thank you Joe I'm really glad that you enjoyed it. (This was my first short story that I've ever actually let someone read).

I'll u2u back soon I promise, I'm off to the dentist this morning.

- Carrot

The Court Scene…

“So...Mr Croft have you or did you receive the said u2u...the one about the story”

“No your honor” lol

“How long has it been now Mr Croft”

The defense: "OBJECTION your honor, how soon is soon or how long is a piece string"

“OVER RULED! you may proceed Mr. Croft"

“About a week, your honor” lol

“How do feel about it Mr Croft”

“I don’t feel to bad, she had a lot of studying to do and she was probably very busy, so I forgive her, your honor”

“Hmmm in light of this new heart felt forgiveness, the court is adjourned”

***Court adjourned***

- JC

top topics

<<   2 >>

join