It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New bible found in cyprus

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Hey guys just doing my surffs as always and spotted this.

news.yahoo.com...

let me post a snipit

NICOSIA (Reuters Life!) – Authorities in northern Cyprus believe they have found an ancient version of the Bible written in Syriac, a dialect of the native language of Jesus.

Interesting!! oh and the bible they found is writen in "gold" meh??

any thoughts??? "Would love to read this book" I can say that much!

Mod Note: Quote Reference-Please Review This Link.

[edit on Wed Feb 11 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Hey, it is always interesting to throw something new into the religious mix.

Perhaps this will shake things up a bit?

I love 'new' info coming out, about 'old' religions. Especially when it contradicts what the old info brainwashed others into believing so fully. It helps to keep them on their toes.

Turkish Cypriot police testified in a court hearing they believe the manuscript could be about 2,000 years old.

Hmmm?

"On the basis of the one photo...if I'm not mistaken some words at least seem to be in modern Syriac, a language that was not written down until the mid-19th century," he told Reuters.

So, I wonder which it could be?

Mod Note: Quote Reference-Please Review This Link.

[edit on Wed Feb 11 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I would love to know more. If they can verify the age and scan it to the internet for all to see.

Would be wonderful if this was 2000 years old. A pristine copy of the bible without any omissions or changes.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Heres a pic of the bible released on February 6

wow does make you think a little bit like what if there are thousands of other bibles hidden or even lost and what could they all say also i wonder what is written in this bible i cant wait to find out actually definitely going to keep my eye on this story

S @ F

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
i love things like this as one poster said, it puts a cat amogst the piegons

What did make me laugh reading the artical is that they found this book on a raid!!! haha some smugglers had it!! and some other bits and bobs!

makes one wonder what "other" people think they have the right to own without sharing it with the rest of us plebs who are very interested in "all books"..

I love that picture of the "tree" thing "its IN GOLD" how amazing is that even if its 1000 years old that book is IMPORTANT for historical reasons let alone the fact they used gold?????

im going to keep my eye on this little gem!

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti - Government

I agree.

Hopefully they will get right to work on issuing a translation for us to read. Would be a huge disappointment if they let this story go out, but then lock it up to keep it to themselves, like many 'ancient' artifacts.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

I agree its very mad, the only thing im confused with not so much the date "1000" years or "2000" the fact this book/bible was writen IN GOLD is what baffles me!!!

and the dates are going to be interesting.. 1k or 2k if this book was made it has info we all deserve to be aware of so we can make our own judgements

I still think its a very very interesting find no matter how one looks at it...

Dead sea scroll kinda thing

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Ye hope that the translation get done pretty quickly also one thing that I am slightly worried about on this story if it’s a hoax or something like that I mean during these times people have lost a lot of faith and this find im sure will recruit a few more people back to the faith

Also is it just me or the fact that the book is very old but it looks like it’s been tampered with or maybe burned at the bottom although im sure it’s just because it’s very old

(the pic is on the my post above)

[edit on 8/2/2009 by Anti - Government]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Very interesting find. Nice one. If the news link is correct in it's description, illuminated vellum is unlikely to be as old as Christ. It's a feature of the Medieval Ages and was used by Christians and the Ottomans from around the 11th Century. I'm no expert and open to correction on the subject. Nevertheless, it's a very interesting find. S&F. It'll be a long wait until it's provenance is understood and extracts/origins/dates etc are published in an appropriate forum. I love these kind of finds

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I hope that they figure out the language and get it translated for the public, it would be fascinating to see how it differs to the current Bible!

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I hope finding these old manuscripts exposes (our) religion to the manipulation done through the editing of it throughout the years.
To the point where even the most bible thumpeist amongst us will question what they believed all along.
Fat chance though, they, believers and denominations won't allow the current fairy tale to be re-wriiten in its original form. They are too set in their current beliefs. they won't want to change that, especially if it calls into question sacred beliefs held dear for generations.

To many, the massively distributed texts are the ones that god wrote himself, god would not allow a hoax to get this big now, would it?

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
That why this find is so interesting. If this book not a fake but is real.. then it must have some things inside it "many" others will say OH WAIT ER.. ect

I for one love that... I dont hate the bible but I do question every aspect of it.. its good to read all books no matter what is inside just so we can cross refrence the content.

I hope this baby is real and i want to know whats inside it...

The gold thing is very interesting.. anyone got any other refrences to any books wrote/written in gold???

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
If the book is 1000 years old then, I would doubt that there would be significant difference between it and the Biblical texts that we have now. Any difference would basically arise from translation--no two languages can be translated exactly. There wouldn't be many differences beyond translation issues because the Christian canon was deemed complete in AD 375, I think--somewhere around there anyway.

If it's a little older than that, it'd be quite a find, espeically if it contains the biblical texts.

My guess is that it will probably either be a hoax or it's going to contain Gnostic writings. Interesting find none the less.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by theresult
That why this find is so interesting. If this book not a fake but is real.. then it must have some things inside it "many" others will say OH WAIT ER.. ect

I for one love that... I dont hate the bible but I do question every aspect of it.. its good to read all books no matter what is inside just so we can cross refrence the content.

I hope this baby is real and i want to know whats inside it...

The gold thing is very interesting.. anyone got any other refrences to any books wrote/written in gold???

Well we don't know yet if the book is genuine or if there are more pages than the one in the photo written in gold. Putting that aside, here's a link to a collection of illuminated manuscripts from the Christian Tradition. A wikipedia page might feel left out if it wasn't linked
The Bible in question appears to lack the artistic sophistication of familiar illuminated manuscripts, but it's only one page.

Given the likelihood that it's Medieval, it's unlikely to be as schismatic as some of the Dead Sea Scrolls. I'd expect the content to be uniform and conforming to collections of Biblical writings of the period it was created. Masoretic, Koine or Vulgate interpretations? Who knows until this example is studied and translated?

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
LOL if it contridicts anything that current religious people believe..... it will just be thrown out as a fake... or a devils trick.

Such a beautiful world.... makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by theresult

A translation might take a decade or two to complete. I hope they release some excerpts over time.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Exactly! Since none of the Bible manuscripts or texts are based on original writings, but copies. It stands to reason that there will be little difference with it and other Bibles, as The Church mandated they be written with their doctrines included.

But I do feel we have entered a time of enlightenment where many antiquities will be released and will be made public. They haven't been thus far, because of the ramifications against religion that they would cause.

But it is time! Perhaps the bowels of the Vatican will open up!

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
If the book is 1000 years old then, I would doubt that there would be significant difference between it and the Biblical texts that we have now. Any difference would basically arise from translation--no two languages can be translated exactly. There wouldn't be many differences beyond translation issues because the Christian canon was deemed complete in AD 375, I think--somewhere around there anyway.

If it's a little older than that, it'd be quite a find, espeically if it contains the biblical texts.

My guess is that it will probably either be a hoax or it's going to contain Gnostic writings. Interesting find none the less.

Maybe so, but I've always thought King James did whatever he could to manipulate the text to what he wanted his uneducated peasants to believe.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Carbon dating a small piece of it would clarify it's age.

What interests me is whether it differs from the Bible altered in the Council of Nycea in 325 BC ?

I would love to see an online comparison between the Bible pre 325BC and what we have now ?

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
This is a great find, people will finally get to see what one of the originals looked like. Not some altered for somebody's own agenda bible that they use now.

I hope it clarifies alot of things within this particular religion, and hopefully they will let it out for the public to see. I also expect an annoucement from the Vatican concerning this. It's likely something they'd like to see and have they're scholars read and interpret it.

~Keeper

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join