It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. vs. China

page: 61
<< 58  59  60    62  63  64 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Here is some info of the FT-2000 some of you guys were talking about

FT-2000 Anti-Radiation Surface-to-Air Missile

PROGRAMME

Although being generally regarded as the most effective means of air defence, the current high- and medium-range surface-to-air missile (SAM) systems such as the U.S. Patriot and Russian S-300 (SA-10) are still insufficient when enemy ‘leakers’ can launch their attacks by taking advantage of barrage electronic jamming tactics. Most current high- and medium-range SAM systems are vulnerable to disruption from S- and C-Band airborne noise and deception jammers, used for the temporary suppression of enemy air defences (SEAD) with lethal effect.

A novel solution to this operational handicap is the integration of ground-launched passive anti-radiation missiles (ARM) with the deployed high- and medium-range SAM systems that will provide hardened air defence. Such ARMs must target and successfully neutralise airborne standoff jammers. Thus, in addition to homing on to radar frequencies, the ground-launched ARM must also incorporate a 'home-on-jam' capability, including the option to home on airborne or land-based jammers which try to disrupt the ever more important GPS navigation system (used by many of the latest precision-guided weapons).

The unique FT-2000 is a long-range (up to 100 km) ground-launched ARM system developed by the China National Precision Machinery Import and Export Corporation (CPMIEC). The existence of the CPMIEC FT-2000 SAM was revealed late in 1998 when it was reported that the first version to be deployed featured an anti-radiation missile (ARM), which is the first of its kind in the world. The ARM is designed to engage airborne jammer aircraft and Airborne Warning and Control System aircraft at long ranges.

It was reported that unknown number of the FT-2000 may have already been equipped by the PLAAF air defence forces based in Fujian Province near Taiwan Strait, where the FT-2000s are co-located along with Russia-made S-300PMU1 SAMs, but this has yet be confirmed. The FT-2000 has risen potential concern that this missile will pose a serious threat to Taiwan's US-made E-2T early warning planes.

DESIGN FEATURES

The FT-2000 could be deployed as a stand-alone air defence system or deployed as part of another system. A complete FT-2000 battalion probably would consist of a command platoon and three batteries. The missile is transported and launched on an 8 X 8 cross-country TEL, which has four canisters that look almost identical to those used in the S-300PMU1.

Some sources have speculated that the FT-2000's missile is based on Russian 5V55 series SAM but with a new active seeker that may have been developed with assistance of other countries. Like the normal version of Russian 5V55, the FT-2000 is cold-launched.

When the missile detects and locks on to the radar or jammer, it can home on the target autonomously at 1,200 m/s while sustaining a 14 G overload. The FT-2000 can also be used in co-operation with friendly aircraft when the onboard rader warning receiver detects hostile signal. In addition, the FT-2000 missile has a built-in inertial navigation system, so that whenever it has acquired a lock-on, it will continue towards the target even if the emitter is shut down (although the CEP is larger in this case).

The FT-2000 has a slant range of 12 km to 100 km up to an altitude of 18 km. It weighs 1,300 kg at launch. When fired in a salvo of two missiles, the FT-2000A has a kill probability of 0.95. The FT-2000's proximity fuze has an effective range of 35 metres, which goes active when the missile is 5 km away from its target.

For the detection and localisation of hostile radar emissions and jammers the FT-2000 makes use of four ground-based Electronic Support Measures (ESM) sensor posts, each of which is mounted on wheeled vehicles and can together track 50 targets simultaneously. The ESM sensor posts are deployed at a distance 30km from each other. The missile launchers are deployed near the central ESM sensor station at a distance of 150 metres.

The FT-2000 can also be used in conjunction with surveillance and target acquisition radars of the 3-D non-phased-array type. CPMIEC is now developing an active phased-array radar will be used for fire-control of future variants of the FT-2000.

A complete FT-2000A Battalion consists of a Command Platoon and three Batteries, each equipped with one central ESM sensor station and three auxiliary ESM stations, two power supply vehicles, 12 mobile launchers equipped with missiles in three motorised vehicles (with four launchers each), and 12 transportation and loading vehicles.

Future variants of the FT2000A will incorporate a GPS receivers to greatly increase hit accuracy when radar lock on is lost after emitter switch-off, because GPS guidance will keep the missile within a narrow box towards the last known emitter position.

SPECIFICATIONS

Missile length: 6.8 m
Missile diameter: 0.47 m
Missile wingspan: N/A
Launch weight: 1,300 kg
Propulsion: Solid rocket booster
Operating Altitude: 3 ~ 20 Km
Slant Range: 12 ~ 100 km
Maximum Speed: N/A
Guidance: Passive radar
Warhead: N/A
Single Shot Hit Probability: N/A

Sounds like a decent AWACS destroyer

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Broadsword20068
They also lost an Abrams because the driver fell asleep while approaching a bridge and drove off the bridge by accident. The tank turned upside down and sank to the bottom of the river.

wow never heard of that one!

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Ok but that is not funny
especially if someone was hurt or killed. Combat fatigue is not a funny subject.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Ok sorry. Not a good time to be falling asleep though. Don't they get those pills that make you stay awake? Or is it only for the pilots?

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Don't know, I know they have those pills but maybe the poor bastard didn't get any.
We have to put up with Combat Fatigue till they gat the patches and microchips installed in them to provide them with nutrients and anti sleep medicine.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   
us would win if china didnt pull out the nukes but if they did evryone would lose

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
how on earth did the driver of the Abrams fall asleep?

The din inside a tank is unbelievable and those gas turbine engines in the M1a1/2 make a hell of a racket

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucretius
how on earth did the driver of the Abrams fall asleep?

The din inside a tank is unbelievable and those gas turbine engines in the M1a1/2 make a hell of a racket

You'd be suprised how hypnotic loud noises or vibrations are...I once fell asleep against the hatch for the main engine of a chevie (a boat beforeyou ask) and believe me its really hypnotic..

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Actual the engine of the Abrams is surprisingly quieter than normal engines, plus when you have been driving over 300miles of Iraqi desert night and day you tend to collapse, if you don't get a brake.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
We keep talking about what would happen if we go to war with china, but how would we get into a war in the first place. what is all the Possible reasons we could go to war.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Taiwan is currently the only realistic reason we'd go to war with China.

Anything else is far-fetched.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
My God I cannot believe this thread is still around, much less on topic. Shows you how impt. the topic is to people I guess... Whoever started it must be a very rich guy right now (point wise)....

I'm not trying to derail this thread. By all means continue!

NMS

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by NothingMakesSense
My God I cannot believe this thread is still around, much less on topic. Shows you how impt. the topic is to people I guess... Whoever started it must be a very rich guy right now (point wise)....

I'm not trying to derail this thread. By all means continue!

NMS

Hmm.. I never realized I got points for that! LOL

I don't seem to have garnered too many points, tho.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Yes something must be up you should have gotten more points than you currently have. Also I agree Taiwan is currently the only way we could get into a war with China.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Nice posts.

I did like the info

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Yes something must be up you should have gotten more points than you currently have. Also I agree Taiwan is currently the only way we could get into a war with China.

My college T/A was telling my discussion section we'd eventually have to deal with China. Militarily, I can't see that happening besides through Taiwan or possibly Japan.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Ok but that is not funny
especially if someone was hurt or killed. Combat fatigue is not a funny subject.

Yes, the crew was killed. You're in a 70-ton tank and the thing turns upside down and sinks to the bottom of the river and the only way out is through the top hatch, which is impossible to open with the tank upside down like that, you suffocate.

Freak accidents happen though. At the beginning of the Iraq War, two high-ranking officers, who were very, very tired, got out of their Humvee, dropped to the ground, and went to sleep. Later on that night, an armored tracked vehicle drove over and crushed them. After that, all vehicles traveling through such areas had to go through with a guide.

Also, a female soldier lost her legs when helping to unload an armored tracked vehicle from an aircraft because something went wrong, and the vehicle slid out too fast and she was in the way. Freak accident.

I think we will eventually have to deal with China, but in the future I think.

[edit on 16-4-2005 by Broadsword20068]

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Ok. Think about Iraq. Lost around 1000 souls in 2 years. Lots of public outrage. Amazing that Bush is still the President.

Think about China. Imagine if you lose that much every day. Seriously, if war happened, it will NOT be conventional. MAD will occur, everybody loses.

[edit on 17/4/05 by W4rl0rD]

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Actually we have lost 1500 in 2 years that is not a lot considering the history of warfare. I value every soul but its not a lot considering in past wars we lost that many in one week.
And there is outrage because Americans now have become too soft and think war can be fought and won in weeks and with no casualties, this of course is complete idiocy.
And we are talking about a non nuclear war.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Look, if either side is in danger of losing its land, they WILL use nukes. Thats why the cold war never gone hot.

top topics

<< 58  59  60    62  63  64 >>

join