It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Announce Universal Flu Vaccine and more To Come

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Scientists announce Universal Flu Vaccine and more to Come

A team of researchers from the National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Hokkaido University, Saitama Medical University and chemical maker NOF Corporation, working under Japan’s Health, Labor and Welfare Ministry, has developed a new universal vaccine that is effective against many types of influenza. And although clinical use of the vaccine in humans is still years away, trials in mice have shown promising results, even on strains that can quickly mutate.

Unlike previous vaccines, which were developed based on proteins covering the outside surface of the virus that differs between influenza strains, the new vaccine is designed to target the proteins inside the virus, which are more stable. The researchers used internal proteins from three common influenza strains; the Hong Kong A, the Soviet A, and the highly pathogenic H5N1 bird flu strain to develop an artificial version of the protein, which was then attached to a special lipid membrane. When the vaccine is injected, the immune system attacks the cells infected by the virus.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
www.healthnews.com...

I'm thinking I am legend here

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I'm a huge germaphobe
so I believe anything that kills germs/viruses that are major threats to humans is good news. This research is very interesting because it attacks a mutating viruses core and we know (if you follow these types of subjects) that viruses are human nemesis. Take HIV for instance: what if the scientists could use this vaccine to eliminate this threat.
I'd be proud.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
maybe it's a mind-control vaccine but hell, i've been sick for 2 weeks
stupid flu
. Im gonna get the first vaccine they can give me

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by aNdReSk

I hate sickness too!! The first signs of flu and I'm drinking every hot or cold liquid I can get my hands on.
I usually go into hibernation when the flu season hits my city, then whatya know a sick visitor comes knocking at my door.
They always say the same thing to me "you're not talking (cough/sneeze) much Aubry something wrong".....um

[edit on 7-2-2009 by Aubryish]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I have started to wonder if manipulation of the immune system has some kind of repercussions on the function of the brain, what else explains how so many people have so many varied reactions to vaccines? We have so many cases of people having not just autism but other kinds of mental problems and they have to have something to do with manipulating the immune system, we are probably still quite ignorant as a society about how our brains are affected by infections, could mental illness actually be some kind of virus? Or a model of a virus in the form of an idea, can consciousness affect our immune systems ability to function alone? I tend to think we do have an effect on ourselves.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Finally!

Speaking as someone who gets the flu reliably every year (never get the flu shot, since it's usually for the wrong strain of flu for our area, argh) I'm soooo down with this.

And yes, if they can expand this to other mutating viruses, that could prove very beneficial indeed!

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
This Universal Flu Vaccine made me think of I Am Legend. We are advancing technology wise but our internal bodies may not be able to keep up with our hands. The Scientist mentions attacking virus protein in the article and this protein has something to do with alzheimers.

The virus behind cold sores is a major cause of the insoluble protein plaques found in the brains of Alzheimer's disease sufferers, University of Manchester researchers have revealed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
www.sciencedaily.com...

Hopefully all the Kinks will work out and we can begin saying good riddance to Flu Viruses.

[edit on 8-2-2009 by Aubryish]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I've seen this Movie. It turns everyone into a vampire and Will Smith has to fight them.
On a side note i dont think were going the right direction in medicine. All the cures have more side effects and are sometimes worse that what you originaly had. We need to start from scratch.

new topics

top topics

join