It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Build a Snow Cave

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
In this video clip Ray Mears demonstrates how to build a T-shaped snow cave with the aid of a hand saw, which if necessary you could shelter in for weeks at a time until the weather cleared up enough to get to safety. Not many of us are likely to see that much snow any time soon, but its a great bit of knowledge to file away in the reference archives of your mind. If the opportunity ever presented itself, might make for a fun test run with the kids.

Curious if anyone has tried this approach or similar with any success.

[edit on 7-2-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Found a tutorial that covers an igloo shaped interior snow cave that is more suitable for camping.

www.outdoorswithdave.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Good here in Canada, although I'd never go any place where I'd be so remote from all other shelters that I'd have to make one.

In my opinion:

- He wasted a ton of effort digging down when he didnt have to, just dig into the side of a hill
- He made it way too big it looks like, tons of open space. Keep it fairly tight for draft.

Great tip from Les Stroud, always have a stick inside with you while you're digging... it might save your life if it collapses in on you.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I have noticed quite a few "how-tos" instruct digging a step in the entrance, to eliminate draft. Here's an illustration of a interior side profile from PBS/NOVA's adventure kid section of their website pbskids.org...

new topics

top topics

join