It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something's wrong with my cat....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I love my kitties, too... but yours does need to see a vet.

For a "general" reference of relative age, during the first two years they grow to about "age 14" for a human. But cat life expectancy is around 20 years for a neutered indoor cat, and it's not unusual for them to live longer. My little Lindsey is a 15 year old kitty and I notice she likes to stay in quiet places now (I adopted her when she was 13 years old. )

My Siamese, who's only 7, has occasional instances of fear. I adopted him two years ago and sometimes I think he gets terribly lonely for his original owners although he really loves me.

Cat behavior is as complicated as human behavior. Take her to a vet and make sure she doesn't have a urinary tract infection first.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by NativeAmerican

I think I might have seen that before.... I ran a dog kennel that boarded cats just after retiring... Does she sometimes lick also and suddenly do a "Kramer" like on Seinfeld. You know sudden run and sudden stop and lick?

This may be a sign of a parasite. Do you notice small almost rice like bits where she sleeps regularly? If it is a tapeworm, which is indicated by the rice like eggs that fall and dry from the anus, then it could be large enough that the movement within is causing discomfort. If these match her symptoms then all you have to do is get a broad spectrum deworming that does tapeworm. Describe the rice residue to the vet and he'll know the pill. Then treat every three months with a liquid dewormer.

Hope this helps...
Rgds

***ADDED** After relooking at your post it appears enen more that is what's going on. She's seeing things in front of her and chasing things that aren't there. The worm eggs can be so bad that they get within the eye socket and this leads to the cat seeing things appear before its eyes.

The treatment I suggested should suffice and save the vet visit fees...

[edit on 8-2-2009 by AllTiedTogether]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
as now_then mentioned, it could be fleas. it sounds trite, but it could be as simple as that.
they don't know what's bombarding them and it can drive them mad.

our cat had them as she was afraid of carpet. all she had was fleas.

get her to the vet - obviously, but behavior can tell a lot.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Sounds like normal cat behaviour to me? For example running around fast and crazy for no reason is normal. It's their way of relasing enegry that stores up.

Have you ever had a cat before this one. That would help me see if you have past experience to tell the difference.

I'm probably wrong. I hope everything turns out ok.

[edit on 8-2-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton
as now_then mentioned, it could be fleas. it sounds trite, but it could be as simple as that.
they don't know what's bombarding them and it can drive them mad.

our cat had them as she was afraid of carpet. all she had was fleas.

get her to the vet - obviously, but behavior can tell a lot.

Yes they know there is fleas. If it's in the carpet, they will avoid it, and run over it. If they feel a flea on them, they will sometimes jump, then look for the flea and eat it lol. Fleas are annoying!!

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I'm not sure if it fits the description or not but rey looking at the symptoms of petit-mal in cats/dogs, it is a form of epilepsy.

I have found a link for you so you can see if the symptoms sound famililar at all.

Hope Kitty is ok soon

best wishes MCoG

www.peteducation.com...

[edit on 8-2-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Some of these stories almost made me cry. I hate to see anything bad happen to anyone, including animals. I consider myself an animal rights activist though I don't belong to any group. I will talk to my parents about taking her to a vet tomorrow.

There is also mention of certain abilities being attributed to animals. I have heard of this and my mom bought me a book about it this past Christmas. Someone also mentioned that dogs can hear high pitched noises. I can hear them too. Like dog whistles and sirens from far away. My terrier and I both hear the noises but no one else in the family does. I read something that the people in my tribe consider this Bat Magick. I'm not to sure about that.

Thanks for the help and I'll give an update.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AllTiedTogether

Yeah that's it. Oh my God. Will this also spread to me if she's sleeping in my bed?

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Yes if your not careful. It gets past to humans... they usually tell you not to let the cat sleep with you. But try to keep her out of your bed and you don't get any sleep...

A stool sample will let you know for sure if she has them, or probably ten or so dollars for a pill. If she has them then you'll notice a change in her attitude saving the stool test fees.

For you...

Just wash your hands regularly and watch for contamination or infection on your part. You may have some of the same symptoms.

Things floating on your eyes, could be a sign of bad infection. May appear as dust floating around on your eyes. Eating more than usual, tired.

Treatable with a pill...

Have fun pilling her though... good luck..

Rgds

[edit on 8-2-2009 by AllTiedTogether]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   

My cats do the same thing ALL the time. Yeah they are nuts but the neighbors get a kick out of them doing it. It is mostly play but you can tell when they have a problem.
Check its ears and make sure they are clean and that there isn't any black looking build-up in them could mean ear mites. Really easy to treat just put in some drops; only problem is they hate it sooooo much so get a sheet and wear some BIG gloves.
Also some types of air fresheners make my cats go NUTS, I have no idea why. All we use is Lysol and now Oust sometimes too, they don't seem to bother them.
Let me know how things go. I am going out to the ranch tomorrow and I will see if I can hunt down one of the vets in the area and ask him.

[edit on 8-2-2009 by xoxo stacie]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I do concur that a trip to the vet is a good idea.

I have three chihuahuas, one miniature dachshund and the youngest one...a dachchi.

Each one has it's own personality and form of mental illness just like humans.

The three and a half pound one thinks he is 100 pounds of pure meanness and acts like he is going to kill anything that gets in his way. His name is Tiny.

The biggest one (11 .lbs) is very shy and gets her feelings hurt easily. When someone visits she goes to a corner.

Rosie has an inferior complex and acts like we beat her. Never hurt her at all and had her since she was 6 weeks old.

Opie, Rosie's son is the family protector at 5 pounds. I have sleep apnea and wear a mask at night and he always makes sure I don't forget to wear it.

My cats lives outside in the garage and work shop and all have different personalities too.

Your animal friend may have a problem the vet can fix easily or could just be developing a personality.

The strange thing about all my furry buddies is that they all see and hear things I don't.

[edit on 8-2-2009 by dizziedame]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Well I tripped over my hubs huge black dog in the hall and landed on my face waking him up ....so I figured I would ask him. He said to get it checked for worms you can actually look your self with a magnifying glass. Also if you have mice or the cat hunts them could be getting them from there. ( He said, still check the ears too as that makes them jumpy and nutty acting)

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Great tips about the tape worms!! All of my cats have been indoor since having to have my Coco Bean PTS after a neighbor shot him with a dart. Since then I decided that outdoor life and especially in the city is too damn dangerous for the average kitty.

I'd forgotten it's been so long since I've had to worry about such parasites in my kitties.

We fostered a Mamma who had tape worm and had to treat all the kittens as well. She had no contact with the other cats as she was also positive for feline leukemia and was segregated with her own litter box and what not...she took the pill(s) fine. I remember her doing a bum scoot on the floor once and got pills for her and babies.

Been almost 15 years since I've had outdoor kitties now.

Oh and about Gus...he's a nut and will lose his tail but he's an absolute wonder of a cat otherwise. His nuttiness aside, he's the smartest cat I've had yet, and he's a "nurse" cat as well...one of those sensitive animals that knows when we're sick and follows us endlessly. last time I had the flu he was my velcro kitty, when I sat he was on my lap with a paw on my arm for hours.

Normally he's too hyper or bothered by his tail to sit for more than 20 minutes. He's also a fetcher by nature and will retrieve and bring back toys for love as a reward
(He LOVES to be called a good boy and patted like a dog!)

His life before us was sad...we love him no matter what tail-less insanity he'll bring

If you can get your kitty to the vet you'll likely get the answers you need
Keep us posted and good luck!

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
speaking from experience it sounds like your cat may have missed a flea treatment,my tabby tom cat who wasnt 'operated on to remove his...) used to go wild like a jungle cat at night and make up games for himself,running nonstop,total ball of energy for a couple of hours,he was also superfit. he would cry to go out sometimes even after he came in 2 minutes earlier,staying out all night in summer months,although he got into lots of fights that he started himself and tracked down the females he was fearless.
When he needed flea treatment you could usually tell,(scratching more than normal,prolonged,hair jumping on back of shoulder blades,etc) i always use frontline as it kills 90% of fleas in the first 24 hours ,and he seemed to be a very mellower cat after treatment, i have 2 brothers (kittens)now who are hyper at times and sluggish when you would expect them to be hyper,doesnt sound like there is anything unusual about your cats behaviour,cats don't like change,has there been a change in its life recently(moving of bed/feedtimes/)?

my soulmate passed to the otherside in 2007 ,cherish each moment you have with your special friend,take care friend.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I remember my daughters cat was acting real strange,always wanting to go out on the patio rather then inside with air conditioning,she was acting scared out of her wits,we finally figured out what it was,we had put streamers and a banner across the ceiling for one of the kids birthday,as soon as we took it down she was back to normal,check and see if you added anything new or changed something around maybe,or maybe it saw a big dog outside,I've had several cats and each one acted in it's own weird way

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
As a fellow "cat person", Please get your kitty to a vet.
My grey tabby was going nuts for awhile 2 years ago and it turned out to be a stray that was spraying my cat porch. Using his scent to mark my Tigers' territory, and poor Tiger couldn't get out to defend it. The stray eventually went away on his own, and Tiger calmed down.
Some months later, he started doing the same crazy stuff and i thought it was the same problem, but didn't see another stray. Long story short, he had a urinary block and we almost lost him. Vet said another day or so and it would have been curtains.
The vet, please.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
i can save you a few hundred bux in vet bills...

ive seen this b4

go to a sporting goods store

buy a .22 prolly a hundred bux

bring kitty outside

shoot it

its probably suffering any way, and as inhumane as it sounds, is this not better than a slow painfull death??

sorry peta, i call um like i see um

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
It's the oddest thing, but I have just locked my cat down stairs and I have had a feeling of the presence of a cat. About a year and a half ago my other cat had to be put down because of something the vet finally decided was likely to be stomach cancer.

Just thought I'd mention - well because I think the wilder the animal the closer they are to the world.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by redseal
i can save you a few hundred bux in vet bills...

ive seen this b4

go to a sporting goods store

buy a .22 prolly a hundred bux

bring kitty outside

shoot it

its probably suffering any way, and as inhumane as it sounds, is this not better than a slow painfull death??

sorry peta, i call um like i see um

Ever heard the expression, if you cant say nothing nice dont say anything at all - that my friend was not nice and very uncalled for. We have got some sick puppies among us today, this is the second post i've seen like this today, guess you don't have any compassion... that or your seriously bitter about something. Think before you speak, words can be hurtful.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by NativeAmerican
reply to post by quitebored

I didn't see the vet, because it's technically my parents cat and they don't seem to take a possible insane cat seriously.

[edit on 7-2-2009 by NativeAmerican]

What's this "technically my parents cat" load of crap. They don't care so take the darn cat to the vet. It might be a mild stroke.
You bothered to post this.....so take care of an animal that's not acting right.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join