It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something's wrong with my cat....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I know a lot of people might not see something like this as a big deal but I care for all creatures, including my cat a great deal. I don't know if cat's can have a mental illness but I'm afraid she might have one.
For the past month or so she has been acting extremely strange.
She's very well able to open the door to my bedroom because it's left ajar but she wants to come in and for some reason won't open it so she just sits out there crying to come in. It's so sad. She's always up in my room sleeping on my bed and it seems to be the only place she feels safe. When she's not sleeping in the bed she's running around staring at random things and then running away with the wits scared out of her. She also is doing something shes never done where she'll start freaking out and clawing up the ground and rolling around and panicking, jumping all over. You see it's very frustrating because I can't speak cat and can tell she's suffering a great deal. Does anyone know what might be going on?

I consider this a medical issue but I still don't know if it's in the right section.

[edit on 7-2-2009 by NativeAmerican]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Why don't you take your cat to the vet?

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by NativeAmerican

Get her fixed!
Is she fixed?
Our cat did a lot of the same things when she was in heat I dont know if you have gotten her fixed yet also lay off of the catnip

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I would definitely have a vet check her out. You know it might be a physical problem like a tumor. Hope your little buddy gets better real soon.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
May I ask, how old is the cat?

We have an older tom who gets, erm, "confused" at night, it's due to his age, basically--he just forgets where he is and gets scared when we're asleep and the place is too quiet.

Also possible for cats to have anxiety disorders, or... it could be losing hearing, another thing that affects nighttime behavior in older cats, as I understand it.

Either way--definitely should have a vet look into it, see what they recommend.

Good luck!

Ex

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   

I would say by your description of her change in behavior
either something has scared her, or she is sensing something
that is amiss or different.
Is she pregnant? Have you changed her diet?

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by quitebored

It's interesting you mention that. The cat is about "13 human years old". I'm not exactly sure how long the expectancy is or what kind of cat it is. My parents handled all that. It does seem to happen most the time at night, if not all the time.
I didn't see the vet, because it's technically my parents cat and they don't seem to take a possible insane cat seriously.

Oh and she's not in heat. She's fixed.

The diet's been the same all of her life.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I've never had a cat but I have a dog who as old as dirt... like maybe 12 human years, at least (don't know for sure.)

He has canine diabetes and cushing's disease, that and his age makes him do some really wierd crap.

I'd take him to a vet but it may be just age, or he may have an underlying condition.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Take him/her to the vets.....best advice

Poor kitty im an animal lover too....

Lets us know the outcome.....

====
Mod edit: All caps case changed

[edit on 2/8/2009 by Badge01]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Also if there's anyone here well versed in animal behavior I can probably get some videos of her doing it. She's actually pretty calm though at this moment.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Could be fleas... My cat did some of that behaviour when she had fleas, especially that looking at something on the ground... Remember their eyesight is far superior to yours.

Or have their being any new radio towers like a cell phone tower put in any where near? Or maybe she is being bullied by other cats??

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   

That's getting on up there, in cat years. 14-18 is about the average life expectancy, though I don't want to worry you. Any chance they might go for a vet visit just to rule out anything physically wrong?

In my experience, vets will always ask what the owners want to do before treating, so it will be entirely in their hands.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Sounds like heat. My kitten isnt fixed and she does the same things, will sit outside my bathroom and yowl while im taking a shower. She is perfectly able to get in as she has done before.

Does your cat also roll around randomly? What's weird is that sometimes she will stare at a wall while nothing is there and swivel her head.

I think our animals can sense it when poo is about to hit the fan. She would not shut up during the 2008 hurricane season.

Also if she is pawing at the carpet, she might be trying to hide her scent, or some litter got stuck on her paws and dropped on the spot and shes trying to bury it as cats do. Mine sometimes does this.

[edit on 7-2-2009 by LeTan]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
It might be possible that your cat sense that something is about to happen. A lot of bad things are happening around the world and your cat could just be warning you of inpending doom.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I believe these are just symptoms of her age... they get more needy and a kind of senility can set in. You've given her a loving, happy home and life, that's good! Please just keep doing what you're doing, and be there for her. She's lucky to have you.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I wish you the best with your cat. They are sensitive, perhaps you could do come cleaning of energy in your room and then start meditating and also light candles during your wake time.

I am sure your little cat brother is going to be fine, going a bit blind maybe and picking up on trails of residual energy signatures.

Try changing the food for a few days and it may turn out to be diatary.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Need more info before making any suggestions...ultimately a trip to the vet might be a good thing if she's due for boosters or spaying (if not already done).

my first question is: is your kitty an orange tabby by any chance?Or even a pale orange cream colour? (no browns just orange to creamcicle orange)

What does she eat
Is she spayed and innoculated
Does she go outdoors
Does she have toys
Are you home a lot
Are you on a busy street
Does she look healthy (nice shiny fur, not dull and greasy, bright clean eyes and tear ducts, cool moist nose and cool ears, no scabby skin or missing fur, clean teeth with none broken or missing....)
Are there other cats in your immediate area that yowl or come to your windows or doors

Your vet will likely ask the same types of questions

Assuming she's spayed and is indoor only.

I'll tell you about my lunatic cat Gus (Gustardio). he does have a neurological condition that has yet to be labeled by our vet.

Gus is an orange Tabby. 2 yrs

he is neurotic to the point that he literally bites and draws blood on his own tail. he doesn't associate it as part of him and thus it is a nuicance and irritates him with it's endless twitching. his tail is scabbed with so many bite marks.

Gus is also afraid of the evening-window-boogeyman. The glare from the street at night reflects on our windows and terrifies him. Every night he slides across the room, belly to the floor and hugging the walls for safety until he finds his basket which I have blacked out for him with a towel. he does come out with coaxing and will try to sit and snuggle but the slightest noise or light reflection that catches his eye he will freak and hide again.

Gus's day routine is similar to your kitty's. For the most part it seems "normal" for Gus to attack the floor and even try to chew up bits of it at random and just for kicks. I wouldn't say he's in physical pain but it's become pretty clear he suffers mentally. he's very skitish and will flee in terror at anything unknown, unseen, or unusual in anyway...no curiosity to come check anything out once it's scared him. he will remain scared of things even long afterward.

he will attempt to break into every cupboard and we now have babylocks on all cupboards to keep him out as he shreds things when he gets inside. he has destroyed at least 50 bucks worth of TP since we got him, eaten numerous hand towels, scratched out pots and pans and chewed on anything and everything plastic handled he can sink a tooth into.

he has a scratching post and more toys than some human kids...still he will look for things to demolish.

he also prefers to sleep on the bed but is not allowed unless I give permission while I'm napping. It's treat for him.

At night he brings out all of his mice to the bedroom door and plays there in front of the closed door pretty much all night. occasionally he'll beat up our other cat, but they are very different in age and personality so they don't play much together.

Gus is an oddfish for sure, physically healthy but mentally a bit damaged. he may have nerve damage that causes his tail troubles but the other things we're still trying to sort out.

the vet has asked for him to come hang out at the clinic for day or two for observations.

Gus is neutered btw and is negative for feline aids or leukemia. he was a feral cat but was so affectionate he went on the rehoming list and we scooped him up
His blood work is a-ok and the vet is a bit unsure how to proceed. medications...or just learn to live with it.

the tail will definitely be docked as it's too risky to have him chewing holes in it all the time.

Indoor cats can suffer some natural neurosis from boredom, poor diet, illness or just personality quirks.

The things you describe I imagine are a bit weird to watch, but unless you really feel the cat is in physical pain when it's trying to eat your floor...it's more than likely just playing and imagining an adversary. Cat's have great imaginations.

I also have a Maine Coon (16 years) and he always tries to kill the floor...growls and claws and spins out on the hard wood. he'll jump from one piece of furniture to the other like his tails on fire. This is called "the rips". cat's will often get a sudden burst of energy and they simply have to release it. he also screams sometimes at fluff before pouncing on it and devouring it only to spit it back out and head for a nap.

Your vet can give you the best info though as they can see the cat themselves and check any common problems that might be of concern.

[edit on 2/7/2009 by justgeneric]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Cats can see what we cant see. My cats see the earthbound spirits that filter in and out of my home. Since I can see spirits too, I know what they are looking at. Thats why you see your cat watching something that isnt there. Not a mental illness. It is possible a spirit followed you home that is spooking your cat. I recommend doing a cleansing of your house with incense or a smudge stick and demand that all entities leave your house. This should put your cat at greater ease with the situation.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
i think it sounds like maybe your cat has just had a scare. an untintentional one. show your cat all is ok and he/she will eventually be back to normal. despite what people think cats have a great memory and never forget things that scare them.

thats one idea anyway.

the neighbours across from us had a young black and white cat called softy, one day (when she was due for being dressed at the vet $$$$) she suddenly vanished and we suspected the owner had dumped her somewhere so they would not have to pay the money.

then 3months later the cat turned up at our door like skin and bone. we reckon she was dumped miles away and she made it back to us. we kept her after tha, then one day my mum was holding her and that guy came walking over and the cat went mental!!!

this was prooof that they remember things. we knew then it was him.

sorry for the rant . cats have great memories, thats what i am trying to say.

hope your cat gets better.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   

I don't think your cat is in heat, because ones that are, generally are trying to get out of the house (to get to all the nice boy kitties), rather than trying to hang out in their peoples' beds.

Of course I don't have the whole picture, since I haven't observed your cat, but what you describe is oddly reminiscent of the stories of pet and animal behavior that people have described in the weeks before a major earthquake. Especially since this behavior seems to have started within the past month (and as I noted above, I don't think she's in heat).

Here is a thread on ATS that was the object of much controversy about this subject:
Tell what weird possible Earthquake Animal, Sky or Water behavior is happening

I'm sure some reading this page may not be fond of that post, but I happen to think there's some truth to this. Animals are very sensitive and they have retained senses that we have apparently long lost, or perhaps never had. (Dogs' ability to hear high frequency sounds that are out of our hearing range, for example.)

I'm assuming you're in the US (since your name is "Native American"), so if you're in the Pacific Northwest, her behavior may be indicative of increasing geophysical activity there. (That area, as well as California, is on the notorious "Ring of Fire".) I have a feeling--but am not making a prediction, mind you--that something big may be about to happen there. Of course there was that odd earthquake swarm at the Yellowstone Caldera late December/early 2009, with hundreds of small or minor quakes within a period of only a few weeks.
www.abovetopsecret.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Whats going on at yellowstone?

The Redoubt Volcano near Achorage, Alaska may be ready to erupt; and there was that melt ("bald spot") on Mt. Baker in the Cascades region, which was reportedly causing some fuss around Christmastime. Volcanic activity is often associated with seismic activity.
Seismic Phenomena Associated With Volcanic Activity
Alaska volcano unleashes seismic spurt
"have you felt any of the recent EQs that USGS shows have ringed around the Mt. Baker area recently?" (post by jdub297)
Impending earthquake/volcanic activity - California area (turned out to be Mt. Baker)
ALERT REQUEST any Members Live near Mt Baker USA?

Volcanic activity and/or seismic activity can also reportedly be felt by some humans who appear to be sensitive to the associated vibrations (or at least, that's my theory). These vibrations/frequencies may also be what animals sense.
The Charlotte King Effect
Cell Biology may be clue to human body symptoms prior to earthquakes

And if you live near the middle of the US, there may also be something brewing there, as well. Looking at the USGS website over the past 6 months, there's activity in places that I don't normally expect to see it. Like New Jersey, Ohio, Texas, Oklahoma...Frankly, it looks like you could be anywhere in the US these days, and potentially experience an earthquake...

(image as of 2/7/09)

Or, it could be nothing & your kitty could just be crazy. Just something to think about. Good luck, in any case.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join