It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bushfires in Victoria kill 76, death toll will rise [update: 181 dead]

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
if you read this

“We have people that left their homes, drove, got trapped, left their vehicles; pedestrians were picked up by other motorists trying to escape this tragedy and were killed in cars,” Mr. Moloney said Melbourne. “We must pin all this together.”

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Victorian Bushfire Appeal

1800 811 700

(not sure if there is an international number) or...

www.redcross.org.au...

Anyone who wishes to make donations to help those who have lost their families and their homes should call this number or visit this website. $26 million has already been raised but it is not enough.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Many of those who survived the most devastating fires said there was no time for an orderly evacuation and witnesses said several people died while sheltering in homes that collapsed in a matter of minutes. Were talking fire spreading like a match to petrol people but without petrol. Ok i know the weather conditions was perfect but really?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
i will be donating

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by theflashor

DUDE!!!! I've already asked you to drop the subject please. There is no conspiracy here....only hundreds of dead and thousands of people homeless. THAT is what we are focused on right now. There will be time for the conspiracy stuff later - even though I don't believe there is one.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by theflashor
Does no one else think this event is strange. were talking at least 200 dead im thinking thats going to be much more. In this day of age if it was that common for fires to spread like that killing hundreds of humans dont you think we would have alarm systems and do you think people would stick about knowing how furious these fires are. this was different the numbers of dead say it all!

Australian bush, especially in the extreme heat, is well known for how fast and intense it gets. This isn't the first bush fire we've had that has been catastrophic. But conditions were right for the worst case scenario, an extreme heat wave, strong high winds and the Aussie bush.

Once it started however, people were still reluctant to get out right away and opted to try and save their property. That is where the problem really comes into it. Once the fires are too close, you don't try to outrun it. Which is what most people who perished did.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   

That is where the problem really comes into it. Once the fires are too close, you don't try to outrun it. Which is what most people who perished did.

people was trying to outrun it in cars and failed!

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   

You've obviously never seen how fast a fire can burn through a forest that has years of leaf matter on the ground, hot conditions and strong winds. The fire can burn as fast as the wind is pushing it. There is no escape from a fire of that ferocity.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by theflashor

That is where the problem really comes into it. Once the fires are too close, you don't try to outrun it. Which is what most people who perished did.

people was trying to outrun it in cars and failed!

It happens when you can't see the road in front of you due to the smoke and become overwhelmed by the heat.

Anyway, I'm with Kryties, if it must be discussed then make another thread and leave those concerned for the people at this moment with this thread.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
The flames were over 10ft high and travelling at speeds of 100km/h. You can't outrun that, and most cars couldn't get away either. People trying to escape had no chance, it was too dark wih all the smoke they ran of the road or crashed into other cars, and then the flames got them.

This really is a tragedy, and all of us aussies need to rally together to help out.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
This isn't new - at least, it isn't new in this part of the country. It happens pretty much every year... it's just that this time it was way hotter than it's ever been on record.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
the question of wheather or not it was climate and fire conditions that caused the mass devestation of loss of life is not in question here it is what caused it! was it a huge failing in notifying people

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Victorian Bushfire Appeal

1800 811 700

(not sure if there is an international number) or...

www.redcross.org.au...

Anyone who wishes to make donations to help those who have lost their families and their homes should call this number or visit this website. $26 million has already been raised but it is not enough.

heard a red cross spokesman on the radio before who was overwhelmed at not only the monetry generorisity of victorians/australians though also people donating blood. i dont know anyone who hasent donated money/clothing or blood as yet which makes me dam proud to be an aussie right now.

the stories which are comming from this are devastating and my thoughts and prayers go out to all effected.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   

We have explained this before. The fires flared up too fast and too ferociously for everyone to be warned about them. The winds changed direction so suddenly that some towns and properties that thought they were safe, that the fires were heading away from them, suddenly and without warning became engulfed in flames.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Suspicions that some of the more than 400 fires were deliberately set led police to declare crime scenes in towns in Victoria incinerated by blazes.

they are not investigating wide spread arson without cause!

But they have only suspicion about arson but i have suspicion that thats to big for arson! terrorist attack maybe, maybe somthing else

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   

I don't think it was an error in informing people, if that's what you were asking i dont think that at all...

Yeah, everyone's really getting behind the relief efforts. Makes you feel like you should be doing more... its just a horrible number

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   

terrorist attack???

dude, gain some perspective

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
lol i dont know why no one seems to be discussing my posibility as it does seem quite likly i think. So do the experts 400 expected arson attacks and different locations., hmmm they are not saying 1 big fire started it they are not saying 400 small fires started it! they havnt told us much about it but the bbc news hasnt said much about the climates contribution to it. Rather It explains how theres a widespread search on for the arsonists that caused it. I have explained prob 20 / 30 points that dont add up but all posters on here so far (the same 3 people) seem to not want to discuss the possibility. It seems quite obvious theres somthing more to this.

Ignorance is Bliss i suppose

, Discussing possibilitys for the cause of this HUGE!! FIRE ! that started at hundreds of suspected locations does not mean that my heart felt sympathys does not go out to the aussies. But knowing the cause is a must. And from where im sitting it dont seem to be nice.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I don't know about the others, but I personally will not be responding to any more posts about it being 'terrorists' or some widespread conspiracy. The fact is that every year Australia has fires and some years they are much worse than others due to the prevailing weather conditions.

The police and investigative services will do their very best to determine which fires were lit deliberately. The Aussie people have full confidence in these people and we are not deluded into thinking it's a certainty they will be caught, but we know they will do everything in their power to catch them.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
weather that be terrorists, or somthing else.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join