It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bushfires in Victoria kill 76, death toll will rise [update: 181 dead]

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by theflashor

Mate, your barking up the wrong tree. We have a history of bushfires being lit by arsonists and there is no reason to think that some of these fires were not caused by arsonists. Police are setting up crime scenes at the worst affected areas and are trying to determine which were lit deliberately and which were accidents.

I don't think anybody claims to know what goes on in the minds of these absolute bastards who deliberately light fires. And quite frankly nobody cares. They will be caught, locked up and left to rot in their jail cell.

[edit on 10/2/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
yes but as of yet there is no witness reports no one saying of somone doing such a thing, or threatning to. No one seeing nothing (apart from fire) Spreading like crazy! one fire fighter said he has been in the force 10 years and he has never seen nothing like that. Well that says it all.. i think

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
by the way you say the worst affected areas. We are talking towns have been burnt down. where do you start?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
whole town have been declared crime scenes and closed off to anybody who didn't have proof of living in the area or lived in the area before the fire.

the fire fighters say they've never seen anything like this before because there's never been anything like this before in Australia's history.

if you want to get a perspective of the size of these fire look up Marysville and Kinglake they're the worst of the worst.

[edit on 10-2-2009 by iced_blue]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   

The investigation is going to take months, even years. Some experts are even looking over news footage at the locals talking - looking for telltale signs of an arsonist amongst them. These guys are trained to spot such things.

There are many ways investigators can determine if a fire was lit deliberately or not, I do not claim to be an expert on the subject but I do not think there is a doubt in any Aussies mind that some of these fires were from arsonists.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
SO that dont mean that arson was the cause you watch. there will be nothing found how could there be? have you seen the state of the roads they have melted!

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
according to a fireman of the news earlier fires that have been light deliberately behave in different ways then natural fires, they spread differently, move at different speeds. this is all i know

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   

No offence mate, but we don't care. The investigators will do their very best and all Aussies have full confidence in them.

As of this moment, most, if not all, Aussies are more concerned with helping those who have lost family members and homes, and with preparing for the next wave of fires expected to flare up again this weekend.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
well at the very least we shall be spoon fed when the report comes out is that it was a group of people because im sure this fire is pritty unique and 1 or just a few people starting it would not make sense. Taking into account the shear number of people that just didnt see it coming it closed in on many people from all angles before they knew anything.

look at how many dead. Any aussie will tell you this fire is not normal, And if arsonists is normal well thats even more concern!

When you can rule out global warming aswell what else does it leave?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Please refer to my post above yours for your answer to this post also.

You are trying to force a conversation about Global Warming and whether or not we can catch the arsonists. Mate, WE DON'T CARE. There are MUCH more important things to be thinking about at this point in time than silly things like that.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
NEWS UPDATE : 181 CONFIRMED DEAD

this is almost depressing the amount of people that have died in just 4 days

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by iced_blue
this is almost depressing

Almost? That's the understatement of the century. I've never seen so many grown men cry over what is happening here, including myself.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
agreed! awfull event.

I just would like to know what has caused it im not implying global warming if you read my posts i have allready said global waming is bs! and i gave a link why it is

===========================================
There are 3 sides to every story - your's, their's and the Truth

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   

The fires were fueled by the exceptionally hot conditions (but nothing new to Australia during summer), the fact that no back-burning had been done for many years in those areas, and the strong prevailing winds. All 3 put together create the perfect firestorm.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Does no one else think this event is strange. were talking at least 200 dead im thinking thats going to be much more. In this day of age if it was that common for fires to spread like that killing hundreds of humans dont you think we would have alarm systems and do you think people would stick about knowing how furious these fires are. this was different the numbers of dead say it all!

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Originally posted by iced_blue
this is almost depressing

Almost? That's the understatement of the century. I've never seen so many grown men cry over what is happening here, including myself.

Exactly, I'm over here in WA and the enormity of the tragedy just stops me in my tracks...

And as Chadwickus said on page 1, we're heading for a scorcher here so we'd better be prepared for copy cat morons who will think this would bring them great attention.... god help us.

One thing that I've found inspiring however, is that those most affected by loss of property are more concerned about finding people and thinking of those who have lost loved ones. To lose everything and still think about others.. wow.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Nothing strange about it mate. Scientists and firefighters have been warning this would happen for years.

The fires were so ferocious, and so fast because of the high winds, that the CFA had no chance to warn residents and the residents themselves didn't even know about the fires until it was too late. That's how fast and ferocious they were.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
remember the fact firefighters are saying they have never seen nothing like it. The aussies involved never seen anything like it. The amount dead (never nothing like it)

Australia’s wildfires could exceed 200 dead, a top official said Tuesday, as investigators warned it will take months to identify the bodies and determine whether arsonists were responsible for the worst blaze which killed scores of people.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
kay, couple of things. I live in Eltham, Victoria... i'm not sure how far that is from kinglake and whittlesea where the devastating deaths and loss of homes, habitats has swept through. You could hear the fire brigade bell though, at different times of the day from sat onward. There's hasn't really been any ash but i guess thats because of the wind I think... 173 and it's expected to rise as has been said.

oh geez, um.. well first off everyone's getting behind the salvation army... there was a point there where they were saying they had enough but of course they can always take more. It seems like everyone is helping out - now, ive heard also that Myer's department store will match any donations customers make towards bushfire relief - dollar for dollar, on Friday i believe it's ALL proceeds (but i may be wrong and will check that if anyones interested) from Coles supermrket will go to bushfire relief. Also on a side note.. heh.. The APL (Australian Poker League) are running cash buy in games to go to disaster relief as well...

so there you go, there's really no reason not to get behind and help if your in victoria/australia

I reckon, this whole stimulus that Kruddy's been going on about should now go to disaster relief as well but i dont see everyone agreeing with that...

Also, Kinglake has been evacuated. mostly. there are still some people who've been uneffected... actually, an even more terrible thing, my mate was speaking to his uncle who's decided to stay behind and apparantley with no one really behind folks are just breaking into
the places still standing and taking from their neighbours

really hope that last part isnt true

but yeah, you can leave Kinglake if you're already there but you cant go back in.

R.I.P everyone who got caught
and to all the native wildlife

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Sure they've seen nothing like it, it was the most ferocious fire in Australian history. But that doesn't mean there was anything strange about it mate. The scientists and fireys warned that something like this would happen, I don't think they knew exactly how bad it would be, but there is no conspiracy in it mate.

Once again, most Aussies are more concerned with helping those in need now than thinking about conspiracies. I would appreciate it if you could honour this wish and cease trying to make this into something it is not.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join