It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bushfires in Victoria kill 76, death toll will rise [update: 181 dead]

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by possible_psychotic

lol well be fine night :-)

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Personally I am feeling rather emotionally drained from watching it all day on TV, seeing the nuclearesque devastation and the tears of the victims. I'm going to turn into bed now and get some rest and think up more ways I can help them.

I know how you feel.
I haven't been able to post until now(just got word from friends in Stanley who are safe) due to emotional stress.

Watching the news is so depressing, I feel so dam helpless..

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties
Too bloody right, mate! How anybody can suggest this disaster is the result of some kind of conspiracy is just beyond me. Some fires were deliberately lit and if they catch the scum involved, then...

No, can't say what I think they should do to them. But you can guess. Anyway they're not conspirators, just murdering sickos.

I was out with the volunteers in the CFS (Country Fire Service, South Australia) on Ash Wednesday in 1983 and some of the volunteers who died that day came from the same area that I did... These fires are gut wrenching, terrifying...anyone who's not been near one has no idea how bad it is. When you come round the corner of a winding country road in hilly country, and the bitumen road up ahead is actually on fire and somehow you've got to get that truck turned round and out of there while the heat's blistering the paint on the truck... How our driver got that truck turned round I'll never know... When you see a fire jump over from one ridge to another, half a kilometre or more, and the sound's like a hundred jumbo jets taking off... When you see cars melted down into a bitumen road so they have to cut the road up with backhoes to get them out, and there's still the people inside them...

I still get flashbacks, mate. Even living over here in Europe now. All my family's there, in South Australia. Heaps of old mates there, and around Ferntree Gully and Lilydale in Vic and up in the Blue Mountains out of Sydney.

I lost my home in a fire in 1984. Wasn't a bushfire, just burglars covering their rotten tracks after they robbed the place two days before Christmas. Rotten experience, but I got over it. Amazing how you can get by with almost nothing, and people were great. It was not as bad as these bushfires.

Nothing's as bad as these bushfires. Anyone who jokes about it or just cannot get it that we're talking about real people and their lives and homes and everything they had... I'd make them help with the cleanup and then the word "nightmare" will have a whole new meaning to them.

God, I love Australia. I'm here in Prague but I'm not. In my heart I'm still there and I'm not ashamed to say I'm crying right now.

Bless you all.

Mike

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by brentoncrazy
reply to post by Nventual

lolololololol as i right this post, one of the fire front's is less then 2k's away.
and its heading this way, i no ppl who have died and heaps who have lost there houses. but on the upside, im gettin a load of days of skool :-)

what a weird post..

anyway I use to be from churchhill.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by yizzel
I hope you won't mind if I offer a bit of advice, mate. From someone who's been through it.

If you can, get yourself away from the computer, from the TV and all that, and go outside. Just go outside and take a few breaths and be grateful for being alive, and send your thoughts of love to your friends, and not just your friends, but even people you don't know personally, but that you know must be hurting so bad right now. It'll help them, believe me. It's what kept a lot of us going during the last really bad one and even long after, just to know that other people understood and cared, cared enough to think about us.

Blessings,

Mike

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
best advice, justmike!
for all of us i reckon! I cant even fully imagine what you went through and what so many people have and still are going through right now - not fully anyway. And all those people TRYING to sleep in those tents with noth- well anyway i will stop right there.

P.S i didnt realize there were so many aussies on this site

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

That's good advice, thanks.
I should of thought of that myself but when one's in shock it's hard to think straight.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
good source and up-to-date fire info

mp3.news.com.au...

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

i wasnt suggesting a conspiracy rather i was suggesting a natural event maybe.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by yizzel
I get where you're coming from, and I understand exactly what you're saying mate. That's what friends are for... and some of the best friends you have are the ones you haven't even met yet.

@ possible_psychotic: I can't imagine what some families are going through right now either. It's far worse than anything I ever experienced, or most us ever did, for that matter. But with a lot of love and care, a lot of good friends -- even ones they've never met before -- they'll get through this.

The bush will grow back. It always does, and sometimes it's so fast that it's amazing how quickly it happens. And it helps, you know, to see new greenery sprouting and to see birds coming back, and animals too. It really helps to see life returning...

Lots of Aussies on here -- including a few thousand extra (honorary) ones right now I reckon. Australia's a big country, but all Aussies are very close at times like this. And every kind word, every kind and loving thought, every deed, it all adds up and helps to build the energy these people need.

Bless Australia.

Mike

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
and its not just me that seems to think somthings going on

Australian wildfire ferocity linked to climate change: experts
1 day ago

SYDNEY (AFP) — Australia is naturally the most fire-prone continent on earth but climate change appears to be making the wildfires that regularly sweep across the country more ferocious, scientists said Monday.

The intensity of the firestorm that killed at least 126 people in Victoria state has stunned Australians, even though they have a long history of dealing with bushfires.

The government-run Bureau of Meteorology said Australia's dry climate and naturally combustible vegetation, including oil-rich eucalyptus forest, meant fire was an intrinsic part of the country's landscape.

The history books back up the theory -- 75 dead in the "Ash Wednesday" fires of 1983, 71 killed in "Black Friday" 1939 and dozens more stretching back to the early days of white settlement in Australia.

But the wildfires that hit Victoria on the weekend were the nation's deadliest and experts believe the problem is linked to climate change.

"Climate change, weather and drought are altering the nature, ferocity and duration of bushfires," said Gary Morgan, head of the government-backed Bushfire Cooperative Research Centre.

"This weekend's fires highlight the importance of scientific research in order to improve our understanding of the multiple impacts of bushfires."

Australian poet Dorothy McKeller described the country as a land "of drought and flooding plains" and University of Sydney bushfire expert Mark Adams said there was evidence it was becoming even more volatile.

"I have never seen weather and other conditions as extreme as they were on Saturday, the fire weather was unprecedented," Adams said.

"We don't have all the evidence yet to fully explain this day in terms of climate change, however all the science to date shows that we can expect more extreme weather in the years to come.

"That includes hotter days and drier landscapes across southern Australia."

Research by the Bureau of Meteorology and the government science organisation CSIRO predicts the number of days when bushfires pose an extreme risk in southeastern Australia could almost double by 2050 under a worst-case climate change scenario.

Australia's wild weather included a once-in-a-century heatwave that sent temperatures soaring to 46 degrees Celsius (115 Fahrenheit) in the southeast just before the bushfires erupted, along with severe flooding in the north.

Environmental group Greenpeace said such occurrences would become more commonplace if climate change continued unabated.

"As climate change continues to gather pace, Australia is at risk of more frequent drought, higher temperatures, more frequent and intense bushfires, as well as increased severity of cyclones and flooding," Greenpeace campaigner leader John Hepburn said.

"The scale of this tragedy should be a clarion call to politicians for the need to begin treating climate change as an emergency."

Monash University researcher David Packham said authorities had failed to properly manage Australia's forests, providing fuel for the fires.

He suggested they could learn from Aborigines, who for thousands of years conducted controlled burn-offs in the forests in order to prevent massive conflagrations.

"We have thumbed our noses at what these people did and knew and we just can't keep on doing it," he said.

www.google.com...

i think people are taking my thoughts to much to heart when i dont mean to offend in what i am thinking.

www.google.com...

[edit on 10-2-2009 by theflashor]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
A news article from Sydney Herald

www.smh.com.au...

IT IS only a couple of years since scientists first told us we could expect a new order of fires in south-eastern Australia, fires of such ferocity they would engulf the towns in their path.

And here they are. The fires of Saturday were not "once in 1000 years" or even "once in 100 years" events, as our political leaders keep repeating. They were the face of climate change.

They were the result of the new conditions that climate change has caused: higher temperatures, giving us hotter days, combined with lower rainfall, giving us a drier landscape. Let's stop using the word "drought", with its implication that dry weather is the exception. The desiccation of the landscape here is the new reality. It is now our climate.

People are comparing last Saturday to Ash Wednesday and Black Friday. But this misses the point. We should be comparing these fires to the vast and devastating fires of 2002-03, which swept through 2 million hectares of forest in the south-east and raged uncontrollably for weeks. They have been quickly forgotten because, being mainly in parks, they did not involve a large loss of human life or property. But it is to this fire regime, the new fire regime of climate change, rather than to the regimes of 1983 or 1939, that the present fires belong.

Saturday's events showed us the terrifying face of climate change. The heat was devastating, even without the fire.

Wildlife carers reported many incidents of heat stress and death among native animals. This means that out in the bush, unreported, vast numbers of animals were suffering. We can all see the trees and other plants dying in our gardens and parks. Our local fauna and flora have not adapted to these extremes. With wildfire, heat death becomes a holocaust, for people, for animals and for plants.

The Government is wondering how to stimulate the economy. It is planning to give away much of the surplus from boom times in handouts. It has made the usual token allocations to climate change mitigation, allocations that will in no way deflect the coming holocaust.

The Prime Minister weeps on television at the tragedy of Saturday's events. He looks around uncomprehendingly, unable to find meaning. But there is meaning. This is climate change. This is what the scientists told us would happen. All the climatic events of the past 10 years have led inexorably to this. And this is just the beginning of something that will truly, if unaddressed, overwhelm us.

As the events of Saturday showed, the consequences of climate change will make the financial crisis look like a garden party.

Yet there is a synchronicity here that must not be missed. The extraordinary economic measures for which the financial crisis is calling provide a perfect opportunity to fund the energy revolution for which the crisis of climate change is calling. If the Government does not seize it, then the terrifying world into which we were plunged on Saturday will become the world we will have to inhabit.

Freya Mathews is honorary research fellow at the philosophy department of La Trobe University.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by theflashor
Okay then maybe we misunderstood you, because a natural event is basically what it is, with a few loonies thrown in to the mix and setting and re-starting fires to make things worse. There's no maybe about it. That's what these fires are like: I've seen places where for example six houses in one road were burnt to the ground, but one house in the middle of the row was almost untouched -- and it just didn't make any sense.

It never makes any sense.

Unless you experience something like this close-up and personal, it's not possible to understand just how bloody awful it is. And then, like I said in my post before this one, when others have it worse we still can't really comprehend it. But it hurts all the same, and I don't want to discuss all the theories right now and I doubt I'm the only one who feels that way. Maybe later, but not now, okay? It's too emotional, it cuts too close to the bone, it brings back everything from where it's been hiding in our minds for maybe years and years. It's been just short of 26 years since Ash Wednesday on Feb 16, 1983, but the memories still come back. We learn to deal with them but it still hurts.

Nearly every Aussie has either been affected by fires or knows friends, family members, old school mates, workmates, who've been affected and maybe even lost it all. It's about people and they're hurting. That's why we are very, very touchy about this subject, because we all know how bad it can be... just some of us know it deeper than others.

Peace,

Mike

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
words from the sydney herald

Wildlife carers reported many incidents of heat stress and death among native animals. This means that out in the bush, unreported, vast numbers of animals were suffering. We can all see the trees and other plants dying in our gardens and parks. Our local fauna and flora have not adapted to these extremes. With wildfire, heat death becomes a holocaust, for people, for animals and for plants.

is australias weather getting to the extreme where fires can start anywhere at anytime a more common occurence recently i think??
im worried and have donated £10 today i know it isnt much but its all i can afford at the moment.

[edit on 10-2-2009 by theflashor]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I've sent you a U2U. I hope it will explain a few things.

As for quoting external sources in your posts, please use the correct format and place them in [ex]posted text[/ex]. This is required by the ATS owners in the Terms of Use, for copyright purposes.

Mike

[edit on 10/2/09 by JustMike]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Thank you for your donation no matter how big or small it's appreciated.

And sorry for being a bit gruff,but as others have said we are a bit sensitive right now.

Myself like a lot of others have been or know people who have been affected by this,and it hurt's.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SvenTheBerserK
And sorry for being a bit gruff,but as others have said we are a bit sensitive right now.

Myself like a lot of others have been or know people who have been affected by this,and it hurt's.

Agreed, let's just work through this, help where needed, donate, rebuild, and just do what's required to get these people back on their feet.

There will be plenty time later to look back on how things could have gotten as bad as they did. It's obvious now the outcome was the result of a number of extraordinary natural circumstances coming together (which were then taken advantage of by a few psychotic individuals).

Arsonists light fires all the time - they were only able to get such an upper hand this time due to the extraordinary and anomalous weather conditions in VIC last weekend.

[edit on 10/2/09 by Evasius]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Just wanted to state that I hope everyone pulls through ok from the massive fires that are ravaging Australians. My thought are with you.

I hope they catch the (bleeps) who caused this!

What's the world coming to?

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Not sure if this was posted yet, but here's video shot by the firefighters of them giving a drink to that koala in the photo posted earlier.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I just wanted to say to the Austrailians that I hope this devastation is over soon, and there is no more further loss of life. Your country is in my thoughts and prayers.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join