It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli Arms Sales: Bloated Waste

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
If you thought that 5 or 6 Light Helicopters landing into the hands of criminals via Israel is shocking, as ATSNN does, then this might leave you a little more unsettled.

The following are excerpts from the 2002 Direct Commercial Sales (DCS): Transfers negotiated between the manufacturing company and the foreign buyer, and approved by the Department of State through the issuance of an export license.

Lets have a little itemized look at what we sell Israel on a given year.

ITEM QUANTITY VALUE $

Accelerometers 389 560,535
Artillery Fuses 5,930 268,037
Batteries 56 604,000
Binoculars 1,500 364,140
Camera Sets 5 235,000
Carbines (All Types) 1,585 1,783,030
Cartridges .22-.50Cal 10,003,000 787,647
Cartridges 20-40MM 57,685 1,939,995
Cartrides Impulse 20,000 3,010,572

Diesel Engines 20 1,272,544
Jet Engines F100 Series 59 250,000,000
FLIR Systems 26 1,467,235
Generators 1 195,000
Grenade Launchers 515 508,746
Gyroscopes 2,268 4,058,827
Image Intensifiers 520 2,011,923
Internal Navigation Systems 59 1,590,135
Infared Viewers 107 4,650,221
Klystrons 2 15,000
Machine Guns 1 3,000
Magnetrons 100 350,000
Navigation Systems 14 4,538,029
Oscillators 144 1,194,545
Pistols 5,374 1,623,605
Laser Range Finders 5 91,704
Receiver Sets 10 452,600
Receiver/Transmitters 61 1,722,008
Rifle (Non Military) 715 4,547,067
Rifle M-16s 7,996 7,153,526

Small Arms Parts 3 374,349
Telescopes 700 645,635
Transmitters 22 6,944,997
Traveling Wave Tubes 327 2,184,395

Country Total
$990,227,404

If Israel could misappropriate 5 helicopters, what are the chances they could lose any of these high impact weapons?

Jeez I hate hand copying PDF Files, my fingers are killing me. But my point is that these sales are bloated and not tactically sound. If we are so dedicated to winning the war on terrorism this billion dollars could be spent on human intelligence (spies) or better weapons platforms. It should not be used on paying for the Israeli military. Granted I admire the Israelies and I think they should have every right to defend themselves from Islamic Radicalism, but these sales are uneeded if this war is "really important.

Just My Two Cents.

Arms Sale Budget

[Edited on 13-4-2004 by Agent47]

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Thanks very much for posting this important information. I appreciate it very much and will be disseminating its content to people I know. Again, thanks !
Howard

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Some more recent sales:

Israel 9/3/2003 256 American Truck Company (ATC) 6x6 High Mobility Medium Tactical (HMMT) trucks without cranes, 49 ATC 6x6 High Mobility Medium Tactical (HMMT) trucks with cranes, 10 ATC 6x6 HMMT driver training trucks, associated support equipment, spare and repair parts, publications, personnel training and training equipment, technical assistance, contractor technical and logistics personnel services and other related elements of program support Foreign Military Sales $65 million
Israel 7/25/2003 installation of "Group A" modifications for the Israeli Ministry of Defense's Compact Early Warning System (CAEW) Program, with involvement by the government of Singapore Direct Commercial Sales >$50 million
Israel 7/9/2003 472 M240 7.62mm caliber machine guns and supporting equipment for Israeli Armed Forces Direct Commercial Sales >$1 million
Israel 6/23/2003 technical information, hardware and services to support the development of the Arrow Weapon System Program and Modified Arrow Radar Seeker (MARS) Program

The following only serves to further illustrate the futility of selling arms in such a volatile situation. Israel uses American equipment almost daily to kill and maim innocent civilians.

Issues: During the fall of 2000, frustrations over the failure of the Camp David peace talks led to renewed fighting between between Palestinians and Israel forces. Violence on both sides has been well documented, with several hundred deaths and several thousand injuries - mostly Palestinian - occurring since. Israeli forces have used U.S. attack helicopters, F-16 fighter jets, tanks, and guided missiles to target Palestinian demonstrators, forces, and buildings, in what the State Department and human rights groups have called an excessive use of force against relatively lightly armed opponents. According to the State Department's human rights report, civilians and civilian-populated areas have also been targeted, even when they were not in imminent danger, in violation of their own rules of engagement. The report also noted that the Israeli military "shelled [Palestine Authority] PA institutions and Palestinian civilian areas in response to individual Palestinian attacks on Israeli civilians or settlers." Amnesty International also reported on Israel's practice of "state assassinations," in which suspected terrorists have been executed without arrest or judicial review. The use of U.S. weapons to carry out these extra-judicial killings would violate the terms under which U.S. weapons may be used under the Arms Export Control Act. Prolonged fighting between Israelis and Palestinians is also intensifying tensions with Arab nations and destabilizing the region.

Since the outbreak of renewed violence, the U.S. government has authorized the sale of an additional 52 F-16I fighter jets, 9 AH-64D Apache Longbow attack helicopters, 23 AH-1F attack helicopters, and 59 UH-60L Black Hawk utility helicopters.

Furthermore, 2001's budget for Israel was 850,000,000, which indicates growth in the ammount of arms and munitions we ship. If our goal is to foster trust in the middle east, selling Israel death machines is the opposite way to do it. I wonder what helicopters fired on the recently deceased Hamas cripple? Put money on the AH-1F.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Agent47,

good post. when will people start thinking?

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ashlar
Agent47,

good post. when will people start thinking?

Never as long as the media continues to downplay the severity of Israel's counter strikes and violence, and as long as we keep selling out for a billion dollars.Were taking two steps forward and three back.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
This is downright scary. People are always scared of China, and granted it is usually over hyped but this is a serious threat to our supremacy. Take a momment and read this report and tell me one reason we shouldnt cut off arms sales to Israel immediately.

The real danger comes in Israel's habit of reverse engineering U.S. technology and selling to nations hostile to U.S. interests. Israel's client list includes Cambodia, Eritrea, Ethiopia, the South Lebanon Army, India, China, Burma and Zambia. The U.S. has most recently warmed up to India and is now in fact competing with Israel for arms sales there, but the other Israeli customers remain dubious at best.

Perhaps the most troubling of all is the Israeli/Chinese arms relationship. Israel is China's second largest supplier of arms. Coincidentally, the newest addition to the Chinese air force, the F-10 multi-role fighter, is an almost identical version of the Lavi (Lion). The Lavi was a joint Israeli-American design based upon the F-16 for manufacture in Israel, but financed mostly with American aid. Plagued by cost overruns, it was canceled in 1987, but not before the U.S. spent $1.5 billion on the project.

Last April, when the Navy EP-3E surveillance plane was forced to land in China after a Chinese F-8 fighter flew into its propeller, photos show Israeli built Python 3 missiles under the fighter's wings.

If Israeli weapons sales to China induce misgivings, including the most recent U.S. blocked sale of Israel's Phalcon airborne radar, the beneficiaries of Chinese arms transfers of Israeli-American technology are even more disturbing. In 1996, as disclosed in the UN Register of Conventional Arms, China sold over 100 missiles and launchers to Iran, along with a handful of combat aircraft and warships. Even worse, in 1997 the New York Daily News reported that Iraq had deployed Israeli-developed, Chinese PL-8 missiles in the no-fly zones, endangering American pilots.

So we design a plane with Israel and it ends up in China's aresenal, and at the same time they sell Iraqis new anti aircraft systems. Its shocking and appaling that we sell Israeli almost a billion in arms a year, and they turn around and try to drive us out of our own markets.Reverse Engineering Report

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Even Jack Straw has Palestinian Blood on his hands. It would seem that everyone wants to condemn Israels actions but do nothing to cut off the flow of arms and such. What a bunch of hypocrites.

The UK's military relationship with Israel
The UK's military relationship with Israel is also buoyant - the value of UK military export licences to Israel almost doubled from �12.5m in 2000 to �22.5m in 2001. This is surprising given the breakdown in the peace process and Israel's recent widely condemned military campaign. It is also surprising given that the weapons which the UK sells Israel are being used to fight a military campaign which results from an occupation which the UK deems illegal. Despite calls for an embargo, the UK government has bent over backwards to continue to authorise licences for UK companies to sell arms to Israel saying that it will consider licences on a case-by-case basis - but this just means business as usual as all arms export licences are considered on this basis. The UK government even introduced new guidelines in July 2002 allowing it to bypass its own export criteria and authorise the sale of UK-manufactured components to the US which are then incorporated into F-16s bound for Israel.

Stop Israeli Arms Sales

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Whats the agenda of this thread A47?
Your slant is given from a one sided picture show.
Are not innocent civilains being killed and maimed on both sides?
You are aware that the US funds both sides?
Withdraw funding from BOTH sides....will this fix their differences and problems?
Will stopping the trade of all military hardware stop the innocent killing that is being caused and dealt by both sides?
I see no mention of EU funding the PA and then the findings that those fundings are being funneled to confirmed and recognized terrorist organizations.
Ironically, I find it a bit odd that your hammering the weapons aspect of this when, in all reality, the Israelis could simply trade their own weapons platforms and system, as they are now, for monies and then buy from the Russians or anyone else, for that matter, and still defend themselves adequately.
Are you saying that the Israelis or the Palestinians cannot defend themselves with what means necessary, even if it is with some foreign financial aid?
Just what exactly are you hammering here?

seekerof

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 06:31 AM
link   
i think he is talking about the blatant exploitation of one country by another, and the blindness of the masses.

bend over and close your eyes as you get raped by your parasite

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   

i think he is talking about the blatant exploitation of one country by another, and the blindness of the masses.

So we design a plane with Israel and it ends up in China's aresenal, and at the same time they sell Iraqis new anti aircraft systems. Its shocking and appaling that we sell Israeli almost a billion in arms a year, and they turn around and try to drive us out of our own markets.Reverse Engineering Report

Right on, although the first one was a little harsh don't ya think?

Anyways, I've been saying this for years. The problem with Isreal is that not only are we paying for their stuff, but then theyturn around and sell it to frigging China!!! The fact is that they are playing us - We have caught them spying on us, they have sold arms to our enemy(s), but you will never hear a word about it in the Jew dominated media world. No - if you say something bad about Jews or Isreal that makes you anti-semetic

I think we should give a little wake up call to Isreal - either stop selling our stuff and tech to the enemy or you will not get any more money! NONE! And we will not cover your ass - you are on your own!

If they are not going to be TRUE allies, then I say screw them because all they do is leach our money and make the entire middle east absolutely HATE us even more.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Whats the agenda of this thread A47?
Your slant is given from a one sided picture show.
Just what exactly are you hammering here?

seekerof

I'm trying to open a discussion on why we should sell Israel so much hardware when they contribute little to the overall war on terror, yes they fight Hamas and Hezbollah but those are palestinian groups not international threats. This money is a waste because it only stokes the fire of a conflict that we then try to put out with peace accords.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   

"Parasites" come in my guises, forms, flavors, and colors Ashlar.
You wouldn't consider Arafat and the PA "parasites" would you?
I thought not...

As for those who seek reform of the past and present US-Israel Foreign Aid policy.....ain't going to happen and 'if' it does go that way, it will be a slow and gradual financial aid withdraw. In such, Israel will be able to keep pace with the lack of funds through the trading and selling of technologies that WE, the US, buy strictly off them.
If the issue of Israel recieving funding is of major concern, then the US should opt for a policy that will restructure and redo ALL Foreign Aid packages that go out to a host of nations, not just one, or two, IMHO.

seekerof

top topics

join