It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Geographic Channel- Inuit/Arctic Ice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I saw a preview for a Program tonight (Saturday, February 7th, 2009) being aired on the National Geographic Channel. It begins at 2200 HOURS EST (10:00 PM), and will run until 2300 HOURS EST (11:00 PM).

The premise of this Program is that "The Inuit way of life is in dire straits". They claim that "Arctic Ice Melt" is affecting the Inuit Tradition of Whaling. They hinted at the fact that this Documentary takes place in Barrow, AK.

I am launching this thread in the hopes that some individuals from various sides of the debate can view this program, and then discuss it on ATS.

I must say that the first issue which caught my eye in the Preview, was an Inuit elder speaking Inupiaq, and the Closed Caption Translation (Part of the Program itself) translated him as stating: "In 15 years there will be no more Ice". Now this struck me as odd, because first of all, I have observed in both Writings, and Videos, Inuit speaking of and debunking "Global Warming" observations for years. Second, what struck me as odd, yet again, had to do with the fact that this individual was speaking Not from the Typical Aspect of Inuit Firsthand Observation, but rather from the so often touted knowledge of Computer Models which some Climatologists have been touting in their "Global Warming" theories. What can we deduct from such? Most likely the so called "Scientists" have scared the living daylights out of this guy through their antagonistic use of "Data", in an attempt to make him disbelieve his own Observations.

I also trust that NGC honestly paraphrased and translated what this individual was stating as well.

So hopefully some of you can catch a glimpse of this program, and if we are all so fortunate, someone might be able to possibly record it and upload it in sections to Youtube (Or another Video Source). I would really like to Analyze and Discuss not only what is Presented through this Documentary, but HOW it is Presented as well.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

Thanks for the heads up TAN,
It's being programmed into the old DVR as we speak.
I look forward to watching it and the ensuing discussion.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
That was an amazing program actually, in how they displayed the Whale Hunt and the Effort which goes into it. I have always found their Hardiness and Sense of Community to be truly amazing in the Native Villages of the Arctic.

However, in the end they had the elder, Arnold Brower (86 Years Old- God Bless the guy, he passed away soon after as well), state how as a Child they had Ice in July, whereas now-a-days they have Water in July (In terms of Oceanic Pack Ice).

But, I was recently reviewing some photographs of Barrow, AK in the Summertime, and this is what I found:

Barrow, AK-Late Summer (Most Minimum Extent of Sea Ice)-1883:

Barrow, AK-Late Summer (Most Minimum Extent of Sea Ice)-2008:

Do you see much of a difference?

Now here are some Photographs of Barrow, AK during the 2008 Summer Thaw Season:

Barrow, AK-Early Summer (Nearing Warmest Time of Year)-2008:

Barrow, AK-Mid Summer (Hottest Time of Year)-2008:

Barrow, AK-Mid Summer (Hottest Time of Year)-2008:

Barrow, AK-Mid Summer (Hottest Time of Year-Notice No Ice)-1960:

Barrow, AK-Season Unknown-1950 (USN Exercises-Notice Open Water):

So from the Photographic evidence you can see how the Ice Coverage has changed Very Little over the years in Barrow, AK.

I do not doubt in what Mr. Brower said, I only wonder about the context in which his statement was shown and/or the fact that during his Childhood there might have in fact been a few years of Extra Abundant Ice (The Oceanic Current Cycle in the Arctic is Six Years).

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Briliant thread, hope someone can post the show.

top topics

join