It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Control a 'Herd' of Humans: New Scientist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Quite the timely study and article. Anybody see the relevance to this at the current moment?

I will leave it up to the reader to draw their own conclusions. heh-heh

Funny this type of stuff is being published in scientific

HITLER and Mussolini both had the ability to bend millions of people to their fascist will. Now evidence from psychology and neurology is emerging to explain how tactics like organised marching and propaganda can work to exert mass mind control.

Scott Wiltermuth of Stanford University in California and colleagues have found that activities performed in unison, such as marching or dancing, increase loyalty to the group. "It makes us feel as though we're part of a larger entity, so we see the group's welfare as being as important as our own," he says.

Wiltermuth's team separated 96 people into four groups who performed these tasks together: listening to a song while silently mouthing the words, singing along, singing and dancing, or listening to different versions of the song so that they sang and danced out of sync. In a later game, when asked to decide whether to stick with the group or strive for personal gain, those in the non-synchronised group behaved less loyally than the rest (Psychological Science, vol 20, p 1).

Full article:

www.newscientist.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
This is interesting, and so true.

I love my friends, but everytime I'm left out of a party or event invitation, I kinda fall a little more distant to them.

Group building exercises and social events are VERY important to group dynamics.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Not very suprising or new for that matter. There's an old book called Instincts of the herd in Peace and War by Trotter for starters. It was put out just after WW1. What we need is for the press to be open and free to challenge the government instead of trying not to offend public officials when we do go to war. We need critical thinking and analysis not just throwing up of hands and joining in the embeded reporter craze.

join