It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with all the "Christianity-Debunking" attempt threads?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
IMO there are more anti-christian threads than others because christians above all other religions seem to enjoy pointing out who are sinners and make it they're job to attempt to "save" us from ourselves.

The truth is, people don't want to change. Whether your religious or not (and i'm not, i preach the gospel of I don't know) people are comfortable in they're own state of mind. And when something that can't be verifiably proven, other than in faith terms, comes along and tells them they're going to hell for doing what they're doing, do you not see how this could lead to resentment?

Christians need to learn to keep they're religion to themselves. You don't see Bhudists screaming about gay rights and the sanctity of marriage do you? They're not telling everybody who doesn't meditate that they're evil and will burn for an eternity?

This is in no way an attack on "christianity" as a religion, but the interpretation of some people as to what this religion gives you the right to do and not do.

I think religious texts are a way of promoting certain values and ideas that by themselves pose no real threat to humanity. It only becomes a problem when some attempt to interpret the bible for they're own personnal gain and start to tell people that they're way is better than any other.

Religion should be something that is celebrated with other members of your faith in whatever manner desired, but it should not infringe on the people's right to believe whatever they want, and do whatever they want (within the confines of the law) without the need to be chastised by a whole sect of society.

~Keeper

link   

Originally posted by KOGDOG
reply to post by justamomma

Uhm.. I am jewish.
Then how is it that you did not understand the "lesson"?

I do understand the anti lesson perfectly. Why did he not do that with the Jewish people who had demons or were afflicted. Are you saying that G.d loves the Jewish more than He does those who are NOT Jewish?

The Jewish covanent is a position of responsibility... NOT rights to be treated more special over other men because of their bloodline!

Edited to add: WHY DID *she* have to be such a harsh example of faith when she obviously had faith from the beginning?

You think Jesus won't act this way to you all if he were to come back?

[edit on 7-2-2009 by justamomma]

link   
As I've said in a few threads before, I don't believe, I'm not religious, whatever...

I don't think there is a feeling of anti-Christian hate building on ATS, but perhaps the non-religious or non-Christian members of the board are feeling frustrated by the plethora of threads devoted to praising God and the seemingly smug nature of those who post them (who are usually Christian)?
I know I am, because it's hard to argue with people whose main method of debate is just to quote the bible - they just come across as arrogant twats a lot of the time! Not all of the time, but quite a lot!

Perhaps those kinds of posts could be put in BTS? Unless the topic involves actual conspiracies/events involving the Vatican or other organisations I fail to see the relevance of posts saying stuff like "I feel He will return soon" etc. on the main ATS boards...

Just a thought

-------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by octotom

...the difference between Protestant Christians and Catholic Christians. We're not the same, yet I see the terms used interchangably!

Fundamentally, both Protestant and Catholic believe in the teachings of Christ, therefore both are Christian! You just have a different interpretation of the myth - no offence intended

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Religion should be fair game on a site that is an open forum for debate.

It seems as though you are arbitrarily uncomfortable with anyone who would not isolate your particular faith as generally excluded from such debate. If this is the course of how you feel, why are you a chronic poster in a medium so open to alternative viewpoints.

If your core complaints are massive use of explitives or blatantly trolling behavior filled with circular logic where people are getting their own little dopamine push for pushing your buttons, such side effects may well be necessary evils to the ends of an open and meaningful and relative uncensured manner of debate.

Much faith would be lost in this medium if bannered across the top was the issues that are utterly exempt from debate.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I'm more or less comfortable with folks voicing their beliefs.

lop sided moderating really annoys me.

I'm glad you believe the HEBREW Scriptures.

I suspect you've never reconciled the Messiah as

1. Suffering Servant

AND

2. Conquering King.

Nor have you explained why The Name and Blood of Jesus halt UFO abductions but the name Moses does not.

But that's an aside.

For Christians, Christ IS TRUTH--THE TRUTH ALL the Old Testament prophets pointed to.

And, as I understand it . . . interestingly, increasing numbers of Rabbis are secretly agreeing.

In any case . . . in answer to the OP, Christianity is MOSTLY BASHED

because satan doesn't waste much time on bashing UNTRUTHS.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sotp

Certainly for the first of my years hereon,

the CHRISTIAN BASHING threads had to outnumber any that were pro-Christian by quite an order of magnitude.

Certainly the ANTI-CHRISTIAN POSTS were far more than the pro-Christian posts.

and, I think that is STILL the case. Which is certainly due to demographics as much as anything--the demographics of ATS.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepchronicles

Great post.

-------------------
"Much faith would be lost in this medium if bannered across the top was the issues that are utterly exempt from debate. "

Sadly such is the case at this site in regards to psychedelic entheogen discussions. Hopefully they "Allow Ignorance" only on that topic because if they started banning religious discussions then I would be more suspect than I already am about the motives of the site operators.

Again, great post.

Peace

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Basilis

NO!

I'm NOT confusing debate with hate.

The lop-sidedness in my earlier years and sometimes still was horrendous.

BRAZENLY HORRENDOUS.

And getting it corrected was virtually impossible.

Usually, we just didn't bother or gave up quickly.

I haven't even paid that much attention recently as it was too annoying to disturbing that such a fine site would allow such lopsidedness.

And, the powers that be would always understandably assert that they were at the mercy of volunteer moderators and that getting all the moderators on the same page was not easy etc. etc. etc.

And one atheist/agnostic supermoderator, IIRC, noted rather candidly that the vast majority of the mods were atheists/agnostics.

Soneone else later challenged that assertion but I trust the first mod's candor a lot more--certainly fits more with what I've observed.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I do see that as a problem too. Although trying to convert me is stepping over the line i dont really care if the person is christian or not. As long as you have a belief that doesnt interfere with other peoples lives it shouldnt matter.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
The reason why Chirstian skeptics are so rampant is because they wan't everyone to believe as they believe, and they are hellbent on destroying anyones sanctity at whatever cost.

They are more than likely insecure with themselves, any intelligent person knows that trying to converge someone's belief is usually a very hard thing to do, especially when it comes to religion.

While I respect your opinion, I have to disagree. Maybe this was the case in the past, but I don't think this broad brush can be used to paint across all of Christiandom anymore. As a matter of fact, I am constantly seeing cases where new steps in acceptance are taken by the different Christian-based beliefs.

No. I don't think the "old reasons" apply at this time. This is something else. This is a deliberate attempt to hurt something that does a lot of good.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SumnerKagan

I think the sentiment is generally anti religious and the bias with christianity is merely explained by the fact that large numbers of ATS members are from western societies with large number of christians. Finally, christians are among the groups of religions that actually have it as part of their objectives to reach out to as many people as possible. It is not christian to just mind your own business, you have to evangelize to everyone, some of the backlash may be a response to that.

as far as all other inappropriate rudeness and hatred, towards all kinds of groups, it is common here on ATS and rampant anywhere else where there are no mods. However, religious groups are the only ones who claim a special status where those offenses are supposed to be taken somehow more seriously when they are towards their beliefs.

Lack of civility is just as bad when directed towards a member of a religious group or when directed towards a person who believes the extraterrestrial hypothesis don't you think?

-rrr

-rrr

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SumnerKagan

Honestly, I don't want to be a basher here. But WHAT has christianity done for humanity? Really? I'd like an answer, and it cannot involve any Christian Children's fund and BS charities that exist with far more non-christians than christians.

I'm just curious, I keep hearing that this religion has done good in the world, i'd just like to know what it is.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Justamomma, you continue to complain about this despite the fact that there are many other instances in the bible where Jesus helped gentiles.

You select this one passage to make him seem bad. What about all the other examples where he showed his goodness to gentiles and all other people?

Your Jewish identity is obvious through the way you spell "G.d." So I ask you as a person who follows the old testament as I do; What do you think about Moses' character? Is he not guilty of murder? Yet people of the Jewish faith would not call this man evil. No, in fact he is considered one of the greatest prophets in the history of the Jewish people.

So by the Jewish law, who is guilty of a worse sin? Moses the murderer, or Jesus?

What crime can you convict him of? What sin has he committed? Other than the fact that the Jewish people do not yet believe that God himself came to visit them 2000 years ago. The whole reason why he was crucified.

[edit on 2/7/2009 by thehumbleone]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Absolutely nothing,people have done good not religion.And if a person does good deeds with charity work etc because they think it reserves them a place in heaven they are completely morally corrupt and are working for their own interests,not to help mankind.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
As an athiest I feel that it is in the best interests of the future of humanity to discard this archaic mind control scheme.

One poster made reference to athiests not beleiving in an "after life".
This is incorrect.
The basis of this idea comes from religion teaching that there is a "heaven", and it seems that their whole world revolves around the idea that if the follow this religion the will go to this "heaven".
They are living their lives looking forward to dieing.
Death is the theme of their religion.
Death is the theme of their worship. Death becomes the theme of their lives.

For me as an athiest, living to the fullest extent is the theme of my life.
I don't live in fear of death. It has a way of coming at the end of everyone's life and there is no evidence of such a thing as "hell".

It does seem, however, that many people's lives are horrendous, and that could be termed "hell'. And they didn't have to die to get there.

Further, Satan is said to be so evil, yet the Bible say absolutely nothing about any evil acts on his part.
Only God does evil things. And Xtians are looking forward to spending eternity with him.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Last time I checked this was a conspiracy site! So it is only natural that people will say that one of the worlds biggest religions is a conspiracy of some kind. When people try to have an intelligent debate on the matter you get people on both sides that jump in say Jesus is the only way or that there is no God. Which adds nothing to the debate but to put people on the
defense. This is not Sunday school so save your preaching for that and that goes for both sides of the argument either way.

This whole post is nothing more than the op trying to start a flame war as stated by his last sentence. It seems people ask why someone believes the way they do only to find fault with those beliefs.

What they are really doing is trying to find conformation in their own beliefs as if someone believing something different then what they do some how has an effect on them and will bring down there house of cards. People are different and have different beliefs and if you can not accept that then lord help you.

It is not a matter of who is right or who is wrong so swallow your pride and move on. Every body has their own lives to live and their own path to take it is not for you to question them as to why. Surely know one here would suggest that they know what is right for someone else because it is right for them. To thine own heart be true!

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Keep your eyes open, but not to the point of going blind. Keep your mind open, but not to the point your brain falls out.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I perceive you to be someone who likes to use religion to control others, no?

I was under the impression that, that was what religion was designed for.
By the way why do you still insist on dropping the O out of the word god,? we all know there's an O in the word god, so it seems a pointless thing to do.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SumnerKagan
Before I begin tearing holes in posters and their posts, I thought I would ask this question of the site members.

Why is it happening, and why is it ok?

Why is it not okay? Is Christianity somehow impervious to scrutiny and questioning?

Everything posted on ATS is subject to scrutiny, or else we wouldn't be denying ignorance. Claims of alien abductions, free energy, UFO's, etc. are all subject to the same amount of scrutiny. It's not a bad thing to cast doubt and falsify claims that have no merit.

First of all, IF there are threads out there, that are attacking other religions, I wasn't able to find them. So, at the very least, Christianity seems to be assaulted more than any other belief system on this site.

Second, why is this happening? Why are there so many people bent on the downfall of Christianity?

I'm sure you've noticed but the majority of the users from this website are American. The most popular religion in this country (as well as others) is Christianity. If we cannot question and investigate our most popularly held belief because of emotions, then we cannot progress.

And yes, there are a few people on this forum who take it a bit too far with Church-burning enthusiasm. But for the most part, we simply want to escape Christianity's influence in our daily lives. Since I was raised Christian, I will tell you the only reason I believed it was out of fear. Anything that manipulates you through fear is not benevolent or well-spirited. That is my .02 cents.

Finally, why is it condoned on this site?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, because I don't see it that way. I just see critical thinking and analysis going on. But of course, every group has their fair share of zealots.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Because she is Jewish and Jewish people do not speak or spell the name of God.

Respect her Beliefs. Something I wish everyone would do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join