It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please Help - Plastic Surgery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Hello Everyone!

I'm a senior in College and in the process of finishing up a rather extensive research paper on plastic surgery and entertainment. I am specifically looking at shows like Nip Tuck on FX, I want a Famous Face on MTV, Extreme Makeover on ABC, and The Swan on FOX.

To finish this up, I am looking for opinions from everyone. What do you think of these shows? What do you think of Plastic Surgery? Is it entertaining to see other people go through it? What is the appeal factor? Is there an appeal factor? Please give me any and all thoughts, not limited to the questions I have asked.

Also, for citation purposes I will be using people's Username and this website unless I am specifically asked not to. Thank you everyone!

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
It just all goes to show where our culture's priorities lie. Plastic surgery for honest medical needs such as if you are horribly disfigured in an accident are fine by me because you are not going to get many job offers if your nose is split in half. However getting the work done merely for vanity is�.well�vain and there are more important things to worry about in this world then not being Miss USA material.

Now what about all those individuals in Hollywood that are getting surgery at the first signs of the normal aging process? Well, they are both trapped by this mentality as well as perpetuating it. Stars put their faces on the big screen and the common man and woman define what beauty is through what is shown as glamorous. In time, those same Hollywood stars begin to age and the only way that many of then can continue to feel beautiful and be placed, by others, on that pedestal is to buy into the same sense of vanity that they are selling.

I don�t know who it is that buys into all these pseudo reality shows, but I will not be watching.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I have to say that these "plastic surgery" shows, specifically The Swan, cater to the absolute worst level of voyeurism. It's not bad enough that to be a contestant in the first place, the person is implicitly stating that they feel ugly, then even when they get the surgery, they can still be voted not attractive enough.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I no longer have a TV

*stares at his crack rocks*

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
These types of programs show where our society places its priorities. It makes me absolutely sick, to watch these vulnerable people with low self-esteem be exploited, but I guess its their own stupidity. What does this tell the youth of America, whose young minds are being formed?? This tells them that looks are all that matter. I swear, rather than a war on drugs, we will have a war on dull, lifeless hair, the way things are going. *sigh* :shk:

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I think those shows are bizarre. People have to learn how to love themselves just the way that they are.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Thanks everyone who has contributed so far. Is anyone else out there? What do you think of the value of these shows? What do they say about our culture? Why do you suppose they are sucessfull?

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 03:48 AM
link   
hey zenith, go rent the movie series 7.

top topics

join