It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soccer ball is deflected by invisible object in MID AIR around 18ft up

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by sotp
reply to post by fleabit

For someone interested in common sense, wouldn't it make sense to read the whole thread before posting?

IT'S NOT SPIN, PEOPLE!!!

Nor is it a UFO, but in the name of the wee man enough with the spin posts please!

Indeed, it's not spin, directly, but It played a huge role. Like I posted previously, it's lift and drag. The ball stalled in mid air, just like an airplane can stall.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I'm pretty astonished at the craziness of this thread, talk about clutching at straws.

My opinion of what happens is that the ball clips the defenders foot as he tries to block the cross, anyone who plays or watches football will know this sort of deflection puts a hell of a lot of spin on the ball, plus the fact that the cameraman begins zooming out creates the illusion of un-natural movement.

There's also other factors such as wind but where's the fun in being sensible about the cause.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
this video must be fake .. otherwise, there is something ... I dont know ..

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by KrisFromGenk

Unlike planes, footballs don't have engines - unless you Belgians have been hiding something from the rest of the world???

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr UAE
Man I can’t believe I had to go through all 8 pages to replay

Now then after watching the video several times and as some here said that these are just kids playing and do not have that ability to curve the ball and I do agree putting into mind that you don’t curve a ball unless you hit it too hard and you only attempt to do that in a foul kick towards the goal or kick for a header

What I saw is that it did hit something but I don’t think it’s a UFO in fact I believe that I saw what it did hit so please take a look at the picture and take your time and watch the video again and pause it right there

Now I hope that this will end it

peace

what you have circled is a the horizontal part of a rugby goal post on a pitch in the background.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrisFromGenk

reply to post by fleabit

For someone interested in common sense, wouldn't it make sense to read the whole thread before posting?

IT'S NOT SPIN, PEOPLE!!!

Nor is it a UFO, but in the name of the wee man enough with the spin posts please!

Indeed, it's not spin, directly, but It played a huge role. Like I posted previously, it's lift and drag. The ball stalled in mid air, just like an airplane can stall.

I just made an anonymous post but it hasn't shown up yet, I believe what happened is the ball caught the defenders foot as he tried to block the cross, this put loads of spin on the ball and those types of deflections do cause lots of dip in the ball.

Any European will tell you there is nothing ususual in that video, but I'm guessing most here are American's and have never seen a round ball act so amazingly.

[edit on 8-2-2009 by mc1km]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mc1km

It's not the dip I have a problem with it's the moving in a straight line part!

It's just not natural.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I don't know why so many people are acting like it's impossible for a ball to spin if it isn't a professional kicking it.

1. Things happen on accident way more often than invisible forces interfere with sports play.

2. Kids like to learn how to do trick shots before having an entire career under their belt.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

reply to post by mc1km

It's not the dip I have a problem with it's the moving in a straight line part!

It's just not natural.

Well think about it the ball is going upwards but the spin is telling it to go down, plus the camera pans out I still don't see what's so unusual about this video.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Looks like a well spun ball affected by a gust of wind if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Unlike planes, footballs don't have engines - unless you Belgians have been hiding something from the rest of the world???

A glider hasen't an angine too? Whats your point. Like i said, backspin causes the air to flow faster over the ball and slower under the ball, generating lift. When the ball stalls, it will suddenly drop out of the air (drag > lift), giving the effect you saw in the video. It actually happens a lot. Specially with the lighter balls they play with, the last couple of years.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mc1km

I agree with you.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Calm down Kris, I was having a joke, sorry you didn't pick up on it. We have differing opinions, and that's cool.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sotp

No worries, I am calm, you just read it too fast and to hard

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by alaskan

I don't even watch soccer and it's obvious that the ball just had some spin on it. There really isn't even much "deflection" to be seen, if any.

It hit a wire if you look close. At about 8-10 seconds on the film you will see a line to the left of the ball that looks like it moves up and down, even catches the light a little. Be more perceptive before believing everything you see.

Once again get all the facts and watch it a few times the line is there.

I might be the only one that sees it. I am lower frequency color blind.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrisFromGenk

A glider hasen't an angine too? Whats your point. Like i said, backspin causes the air to flow faster over the ball and slower under the ball, generating lift. When the ball stalls, it will suddenly drop out of the air (drag > lift), giving the effect you saw in the video. It actually happens a lot. Specially with the lighter balls they play with, the last couple of years.

This might be taken off as a repeat but if you do look at the clip a few times you will see the wire.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by CrashGecko

I hope you don't mean the rugby goalpost in the background.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I can't believe this is a 9 page thread. I've seen more interesting movements in my toilet. The soccer ball in use only weighs 12-16oz and has a lot of surface area. A wind gust (or aliens) could easily explain the ball's change in projectory.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAttackPeople
The seemingly unnatural movement happens because the camera operator zooms out during the ball's flight. The "deflection" happens exactly when the field of view is suddenly increased.

DING DING DING!!!, we have a winner.

That's exactly what is happening here. I noticed it too and was reading through these posts to see if anyone else was going to say it before I posted.

The camera adjustments (zoom, pan) for a split second make the ball appear to change vector just slightly. Once you realize this, it's obvious.

The other subtle visual illusion is the faint flat white line in the background - it gives the suggestion there is something there, making your eye think the ball is bouncing off of something.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I watched the video a couple of times now and.... It is hard for me to not be sarcastic..

Soccer players use a technique called ''affect'' it when they kick a ball at a certain angle at witch the ball starts spinning to curve the angle of the shot.

really, you do not need a ufo for that.

[edit on 8-2-2009 by LaLiLuLeLo]

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join