It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soccer ball is deflected by invisible object in MID AIR around 18ft up

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
It doesn't deflect down, but it seems to travel in a straight non-arcing lince for a moment before dropping down, and that is the bone of contention here. I'd love to see Beckham or Roberto Carlos do that, but I don't think even they could...

(Seen that Calos free kick a million times too. Just gob-smackingly great!)

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Maybe the ball did strike something...perhaps there is a cable that passes over the football field.

Mini soccer fields have a net on top of them that makes sure the ball does not go outside of the court:

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by masterp

Although I think it would have been visible in the vid, that or a gust of wind are the most likely explanations IMO...

[edit on 8/2/09 by sotp]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by skeptic_al

*snip*

Whilst I agree it's unlikely a UFO and probably shouldn't merit inclusion in this section, as the OP says the ball does seem to be deflected. Seeking an explanation is not dumb and does not make the op or any posters in the thread dumb. Your comment is arrogant and insulting, and contributes nothing, so why even bother?

Mod edit: Removed ill-mannered quote.

[edit on 2/8/2009 by maria_stardust]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
perhaps it is the same effect as putting english on a pool ball, back spin

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MoonMine

I have seen many type's of spin placed on a ball but in my opinion that ball did strike something in mid air, there is a blurry white line just after the ball is deflected seen behind the ball in the air what is this?, this could be a net or some remains of a bird like feathers. if this is not the case it may be that pan out video effect mentioned but not spin

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
come on OP this a pretty big stretch... its pretty obvious that the ball doesn't move drastically enough to even think twice about it, in my opinion it looks absolutely natural: probably a combo of wind and ball spin.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by stealthyaroura

I have seen many type's of spin placed on a ball but in my opinion that ball did strike something in mid air, there is a blurry white line just after the ball is deflected seen behind the ball in the air what is this?, this could be a net or some remains of a bird like feathers. if this is not the case it may be that pan out video effect mentioned but not spin

the white object you see the ball appear to "hit" as it seems to redirect is simply goal posts in the distance. IMO the ball does not hit anything. It had some wicked spin on it and maybe it was a gusty night. I dont think there is anything abnormal about this video and looking at it may prove to be a waste of time.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Another case of simple common sense. Why someone could jump to the conclusion that a ball that SLIGHTLY curves (it's hardly even dramatic), is a very low-flying invisible UFO just boggles my mind.

Ever see a breaking ball in baseball? It's pretty amazing how it can travel in a straight line for the majority of the trip to the plate.. and then, curve just as it reaches it. Proving if nothing else, that round objects moving at high speeds can do some interesting things.

Common sense would dictate that the particular way he kicked the ball and the speed it is traveling, caused for a rather minor change in direction while in the air. That explanation makes a whole lot more sense than it hitting an object. And besides, if there was an object in the air, imo, it would change directions MUCH more dramatically than it did. Unless of course, it just barely touched the bottom of an object at the very apex of its flight. um.. no.. I'll go with the common sense answer today.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoonMineWhat the ball cannot do is stop its upward path and continue on a flatter plan down. The spin to achieve that would have to be forward spin, and to achieve that, you would need to strike the ball above centre. If you hit the ball above center, it would not leave the ground.

Hate to burst your bubble, but, yes it CAN do that. When you give the ball backspin, you create lift by air flowing faster over the top of the ball. When the ball suddenly looses it's lift (stalls), it will suddenly change it's path and fall. You just have to get it up in the right angle with just enough backspin. Specially these new (few years now) lighter balls tend to do some strange things.

edit: Oh, and it's called football all over the world, not soccer

[edit on 8/2/2009 by KrisFromGenk]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

For someone interested in common sense, wouldn't it make sense to read the whole thread before posting?

IT'S NOT SPIN, PEOPLE!!!

Nor is it a UFO, but in the name of the wee man enough with the spin posts please!

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by sotp
reply to post by fleabit

For someone interested in common sense, wouldn't it make sense to read the whole thread before posting?

IT'S NOT SPIN, PEOPLE!!!

Nor is it a UFO, but in the name of the wee man enough with the spin posts please!

Are you an expert on spin? If you google up soccer ball spin, you get countless articles about spin (i.e. magnus force) can affect a soccer ball. Spin most certainly CAN change the direction it goes.

I'd like to know how you KNOW that it can't possibly be spin.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

A friendly reminder that...

Courtesy Is Mandatory – Please Review This Link.

Let's please refrain from directing personal abuse towards our fellow ATSers. This topic can and should be discussed with a bit of civility and decorum.

Adherence to this simple request is expected.

Thank you!

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

I've never claimed to be an expert on ANYTHING but I have watched and played a lot of football over the years. I can say in all honesty I have NEVER seen a ball do that! If it was as easy as some here believe it to be then top players would be doing it, yet none of them are. I have seen balls do crazy things with spin but never stop moving up in an arc before it's apex to move in a straight line before arcing down, which is what the ball appears to do in the video.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
i always knew soccer was out of this world

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

WOW are you friggin kidding me? you wasted all our time with this? if anything was actually there the ball would not have continued its arch it would have been VERY obvious, changing directions completely, its called a SPIN on the ball, i didnt even notice it first time around, i played it like 10 times and i saw what you were saying 2cd time in, please SO REDICULOUS, its post's like this for first time comers to this site that make people think this website is crap.

(i love ATS)

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
Another case of simple common sense. Why someone could jump to the conclusion that a ball that SLIGHTLY curves (it's hardly even dramatic), is a very low-flying invisible UFO just boggles my mind.

Ever see a breaking ball in baseball? It's pretty amazing how it can travel in a straight line for the majority of the trip to the plate.. and then, curve just as it reaches it. Proving if nothing else, that round objects moving at high speeds can do some interesting things.

Common sense would dictate that the particular way he kicked the ball and the speed it is traveling, caused for a rather minor change in direction while in the air. That explanation makes a whole lot more sense than it hitting an object. And besides, if there was an object in the air, imo, it would change directions MUCH more dramatically than it did. Unless of course, it just barely touched the bottom of an object at the very apex of its flight. um.. no.. I'll go with the common sense answer today.

+++++ to this logic here...

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Man I can’t believe I had to go through all 8 pages to replay

Now then after watching the video several times and as some here said that these are just kids playing and do not have that ability to curve the ball and I do agree putting into mind that you don’t curve a ball unless you hit it too hard and you only attempt to do that in a foul kick towards the goal or kick for a header

What I saw is that it did hit something but I don’t think it’s a UFO in fact I believe that I saw what it did hit so please take a look at the picture and take your time and watch the video again and pause it right there

Now I hope that this will end it

peace

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join