It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soccer ball is deflected by invisible object in MID AIR around 18ft up

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal
reply to post by sotp

i would explain the path of the ball by an unseen force...the air. there's no way to judge just what the aircurrents are in that short video, all the players are in motion and there's no trees or stationary objects next to the players to tell you windspeed or windaction. if the ball went up and suddenly performed a 45 or 90 degree angle sure...i'd say it hit something, but this is clearly not the case here.

I get what you are saying, but as I've already mentioned I've watched and played a LOT of football over the years. I've watched many games played in near-gale force winds, blizzards, all kinds of weather and air conditions and NEVER have I seen a ball behave like that. I'm not saying it hit something invisible, because that is as ludicrous as saying spin is responsible!

I noticed someone discount video fakery earlier in the thread - are we absolutely certain that it's not?

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
The kid just had some mad back spin on that ball. You can do the same thing with a Baseball, especially with a "Knuckleball".

On the other hand, this reminds one of that High School Football Game, where a pass just seemingly "bounced" in mid-flight. Now THAT was truly weird, especially given that Footballs behave much differently.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen

The kid just had some mad back spin on that ball. You can do the same thing with a Baseball, especially with a "Knuckleball".

Throwing and kicking a ball are two very different things (though I don't know if all of you Americans understand the difference! "Football" indeed!)

[edit on 7/2/09 by sotp]

[edit on 7/2/09 by sotp]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I think what happens that you don't see is that the ball comes off the tacklers foot. This is what makes it dip so much as it would put topspin and a sort of irregularity on the ball that does not go with a typical kick. With certain balls, especially cheap balls, this can be even more pronounced, like a knuckleball with spin, like a beachball will do with spin.

Novise

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Green is what I expect to see
White is what I see in the vid

I cannot explain it, nor can spin, wind or anything else be conclusively proven and because I cannot pursue this further I might call this one unsolved.

Hopefully the maker can provide the original footage and shed light on the wind conditions on that particular evening.

Thanks everyone for trying,, much appreciated

Edit to remove sarcasm.

[edit on 7-2-2009 by MoonMine]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
5 pages of intense debate on something this mundane really doesn't provide any credibility to genuinely intriguing footage.

How about this one?

"Prime Minister of Italy saves the Earth from deadly attack by miniature ufo fleet which tried to enter his nasal cavity to control his brain.."

or

He is simply a man picking his nose, eating it and washing it down with some fine Italian coffee..mmmm

Ridiculous..isn't it??

berth

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MoonMine

LOL, It looks like a freaking street light. So please tell me how you can go from seeing a ball not take the expected path, then jump to the conclusion that it hit a UFO after you have been given 3 or more REASONABLE explanations to explain it? When some one around you farts and you dont know who it is do you explain by saying it was probably ghosts?

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by badBERTHA
5 pages of intense debate on something this mundane really doesn't provide any credibility to genuinely intriguing footage.

The footage is genuinely intriguing.

I´ll give you that.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoonMine

Originally posted by badBERTHA

The footage is genuinely intriguing.

I´ll give you that.

I guess it is intriguing, if you think that watching a guy kick a soccer ball with a street light in the back ground is intriguing. I have a video of me tossing a football with my son while we both hold flashlights. Would you like me to send it to you?

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude
I guess it is intriguing, if you think that watching a guy kick a soccer ball with a street light in the back ground is intriguing. I have a video of me tossing a football with my son while we both hold flashlights. Would you like me to send it to you?

My last picture posted was in sarcasm, sorry you missed that..

In fact, I will just remove it.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude
So please tell me how you can go from seeing a ball not take the expected path, then jump to the conclusion that it hit a UFO after you have been given 3 or more REASONABLE explanations to explain it?

Neither of which can be proven conclusively...

Spin? Highly doubtful, read the posts.
Wind? Not sure but possible. Pending reply of the maker.
Hitting an animal? Where is this animal?

As I said: inconclusive.

The only thing that is certain is that the flight path of the ball is extraordinary.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
...looks to me it deflected off of a bird or bat....look at the streak as the ball changes direction. Feathers? didn't hit the bird dead center, just a body graze. Watch a couple of times.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
its a mixture of spin on the ball and also the camera pans out half way through this gives the illusion of the ball dropping faster but in reality the camera is just bringing into view more headroom above the ball.

just my opinion .

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
5 pages of discussion over a football behaving normally has restored my faith in ATS.

*Googles for alternative forums*

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
This post is annoying me, sorry - the most rational explanation is that I'd suggest it hits a wire which is quite common over playing fields to support nets to segment the pitch for training/small sided games etc. it seems as though it is about 1/3rd way down the pitch as well which would make sense.
I'm pretty sure you can see it catch the light as well just after the ball has hit it.

Hopefully this is put to bed now.

Fangta

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I cannot explain it, nor can spin, wind or anything else be conclusively proven and because I cannot pursue this further I might call this one unsolved.

Hopefully the maker can provide the original footage and shed light on the wind conditions on that particular evening.

Thanks everyone for trying,, much appreciated

Edit to remove sarcasm.

Yeah, I was thinking of making a little graph thingy like that. Looks inconclusive to me as well, but it was a cool discussion anyways. Guess we'll never know for sure.

It's just too bad there are so many people who come to the thread just to tell us what a waste of time it is and insult all the participants while becoming one themselves. The thread probably wouldn't be four pages without all that childish stuff. Such is the nature of this place, unfortunately.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Sorry to ruin everyone's fun, but the answer isn't found by looking at the ball. Watch the other players and the grass. The camera zooms out rapidly, causing the ball to appear to change direction. The truth is it never did, it only appears to move up at a slower rate (it still moves up, just not as fast).

So again, sorry. You should notice this if you just watch it one more time.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
There is a camera effect in filmmaking which I can't recall the name but it's "Vertigo effect" or something. It involves tracking the camera backwards while zooming in forwards to the object. It gives illusions of depth and speed.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drexon
Sorry to ruin everyone's fun, but the answer isn't found by looking at the ball. Watch the other players and the grass. The camera zooms out rapidly, causing the ball to appear to change direction. The truth is it never did, it only appears to move up at a slower rate (it still moves up, just not as fast).

So again, sorry. You should notice this if you just watch it one more time.

Yeah ya know, I can see what you're talking about in the super slow-mo playback. Someone mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I wasn't looking hard enough at the super slow-mo I guess. Didn't know a camera could have such an effect just by zooming out.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

[edit on 7-2-2009 by MoonMine]

Have you considered that fact that the camera is panning and zooming out duing the coursse of the video. Im sure that would have some effect on the direction the ball looks like it is going on the video.

Personaly I dont think the movement of this ball is anything out of the ordinary and Im amazed that this thread has gone on for 5 pages lol.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join