It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soccer ball is deflected by invisible object in MID AIR around 18ft up

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
sure looks like something Maradona would describe as; "The hand of God"

This is not the third line you're looking for.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
sure looks like something Maradona would describe as; "The hand of God"

Grey Magic shoots, scores, and ends the thread in PKs!

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I can't believe people could possibly think the ball is deflected by an invisible UFO.

If its not spin and/or camera angle and zoom (which it sure looks like to me) then the best you could hope for would be some turbulance in the air i.e. a gust of wind.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I have downloaded the video using a plugin and am watching the slow motion frame by frame.

What I see is incredible: the ball briefly changes shape the moment it changes direction this indicates that it indeed struck something.

Posting screen caps asap

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by IAttackPeople

This is for sure. Spin and camera movement. Well said.
As for hand of god.... grrrrrrr!

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
All Snide Comments about other posters stop now.

If they do not, warnings will ensue.

If you can not discuss the topic cordially, then simply do not engage.

Reminder: Civility And Decorum Are Required on AboveTopSecret.com

Semper

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MoonMine

Or it indicates the moment that the ball stops working against gravity and starts working with it

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I have been watching football (yes the real kind, not the American nonsense) for pretty much my whole life. I've seen many footballing masters hit awe-inspiring curved shots using spin (Beckham? PAH! Roberto Carlos for the win!) but I have never seen a ball fly like that. I don't know how that effect was achieved but for some of you to claim spin was responsible let me point out something: this is a game being played by amateurs!!! Very few footballers (even at the highest levels of the game) can pull off those kinds of spinning shots. Also, within the context of the game it was just a hopeful lob forward, so there would be no point in the player putting any spin on it because he could end up just confusing his own strikers never mind the opposition defenders!

I'm not saying it's a UFO (I doubt it, unless they're hardcore grassroots footie fans!) but I'm pretty damn certain it's not spin!

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I don't know about UFOs, but this has nothing to do with spin. The ball's trajectory changes suddenly and the change isn't constant. If it were spin, the spin wouldn't affect the ball for only a split second, then stop unless the ball stopped spinning at that point. The change in trajectory is not like what spin would produce. The ball would have arched down to the ground much sooner than it does in this video. The spin argument doesn't work here because the curve is not constant. It behaves more as if it grazed against something and flattened out, then continued on at a normal trajectory. A UFO is far fetched and I would be more inclined to believe it was a sudden gust of wind, but you never know I guess. It certainly is not spin.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
what a horribly disappointing thread...

In my opinion there is NOTHING at all abnormal about this video or way the ball moved. To say it is deflected is the definition of a "stretch"...

I've played soccer, I've seen the ball move like that... There isn't anything amazing about it.

Kinda shows how far people are willing to go to put an "unexplained ufo" spin on things.... wow.

edit: If you are convinced there is something to this video, more power to you. But please consider objectively all the variants. Wind, Spin of the Ball, Way the ball was kicked, etc. Wind alone could account for the way the ball is kicked.

[edit on 7-2-2009 by meta4]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by meta4
what a horribly disappointing thread...

There is NOTHING at all abnormal about this video or way the ball moved. To say it is deflected is the definition of a "stretch"...

Kinda shows how far people are willing to go to put an "unexplained ufo" spin on things.... wow.

Watch the video again, a bit more closely. It is subtle, but it does look as though the ball 'hits' something. It's not a normal path for a football to take.

I agree though that it's a bit much to put it in a UFO thread. Maybe if it happened at a Man Utd v Liverpool game in front of millions of TV viewers, but not "Plebs Utd" v "Pubteam FC"!

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Well this is my capture effort:

Just after the ball is struck

Just before deflection

Collission

Just after collission

After collission starting on a different plane

Flying on a different plane

I am sure someone can do better.

So, why the flat top? It collided with something I say.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The curve is constant in that video. It is NOT in the OP video. How do you not see the difference regardless of how you feel about UFO's?

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by sotp
I have been watching football (yes the real kind, not the American nonsense) for pretty much my whole life. I've seen many footballing masters hit awe-inspiring curved shots using spin (Beckham? PAH! Roberto Carlos for the win!) but I have never seen a ball fly like that. I don't know how that effect was achieved but for some of you to claim spin was responsible let me point out something: this is a game being played by amateurs!!!

You beat me to it, exactly, these were amateurs.

The filmer is in the United States (nothing to do with the fact that they were amateurs, I know there are some great players in the U.S.)

Adam Scheibeler on YouTube

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MoonMine

The only thing is I would assume that the ball would change shape like that briefly after the initial impact of being kicked, so the question is how long would that shape change last? Could that have caused the shape change, which is apparent before the trajectory changes and then is just toppling over itself in the air making it look like it's changing shape from hitting something? Just putting it out there, but those are decent screenshots.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by meta4
edit: If you are convinced there is something to this video, more power to you. But please consider objectively all the variants. Wind, Spin of the Ball, Way the ball was kicked, etc. Wind alone could account for the way the ball is kicked.

Does wind compress a ball?

Please look at the caps or download the vid and check yourself, the ball compresses like hitting a ceiling and continues on a different flight path.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoonMine

The filmer is in the United States (nothing to do with the fact that they were amateurs, I know there are some great players in the U.S.)

I hope you didn't get the impression that I meant Americans can't play "Soccer"! I know there are good players there, and quite a few have come over to the UK to ply their trade and done well (I have a lot of respect for Brad Friedel). I was referring to American "Football" which is a ridiculous misnomer if ever there was one, given that the ball seldom touches a foot!

Good job on the vidcaps btw, I didn't even notice that flattening when I watched the vid.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kratos1220
Just putting it out there, but those are decent screenshots.

Thanks, I will try and add more to get a complete overview from the moment the ball is struck to the moment it almost lands to rule out any effect it occured from the player striking the ball.

Will take a while, sorry.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Maybe you can show us some screenshots of the ball accelerating just after the kick? It's a low quality video on youtube, of course the ball is going to be distorted when it appears to speed up and change direction.

Originally posted by intriguedUK
Or it indicates the moment that the ball stops working against gravity and starts working with it

[edit on 7-2-2009 by alaskan]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join