It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soccer ball is deflected by invisible object in MID AIR around 18ft up

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrashGecko

Be more perceptive before believing everything you see.

You're right, if only I had a special vision disorder I'd be able to view this grainy youtube video more clearly and expose the truth.

Come on people.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sotp

I've watched alot of soccer and have been playing the sport since I was six. I can tell you right now that this is a classic spin, like I said on an earlier page, and the only thing throwing everyone off is the angle from which the camera is recording the play.

Watch the player twist his foot to hit the ball on its right's side. This causes the ball to spin rapidly counter-clockwise, while starting out at an angle that coincides with the direction he kicked the ball from the ground. At that point ball is traveling towards the camera.

Now watch as the spin takes effect on the ball in mid air and curves it directly to the player the original kicker wanted it to reach. It is now traveling away from the camera.

Your placement foot is what mainly directs which direction the ball is going to travel. If you watch closely, his placement foot is pointing right at the forward teammate in the box.

If anything, the kicking player did a good job to hook that ball just enough so as to get it away from the oncoming defender. Too bad the forward couldn't handle it and it looks like the defender in front of the goal probably got to it first to clear it out of danger.

Honestly, I believe in the E.T. phenomena, in fact I have had one first hand account with a UFO. I am a 'believer'. Yet no matter how many times I watch the OP's video, no matter how hard I try to believe I'm actually seeing something paranormal here, it just looks like a normal soccer play to me. That's all it is, a normal soccer play. Other people have posted videos with much more radical spins done by professionals in this thread.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I feel your pain

But no matter how much opposition, I am not folding.

If you use careful analysis you will find:

* The ball is NOT touched by the defender at all.
Look closely

* No spin is put on the ball.
Look at the way the leg pulls back and follows through: there is no side movement of the leg, so by default no left or right spin can be put on the ball. The only spin that can be put on the ball the way it is truck is back + slight side spin (when off center).

* No animal was hit.
If so, where is it?

* No fake (see below)

The only theory I will admit to is a gust of wind. That is very well possible.

To verify this I have asked the maker of this video for more information. He has last logged into YouTube 4 days ago, so he has not yet read my message.

His description of the incident reads:

Our player kicks the ball and it looks like it hits something and comes down quickly at a weird angle. Very weird.

Nothing more nothing less. He has more short clips he made of his team.

Although he named his video as he did, I would rule out any form of fake, because it simply does not fit the profile of a faked incident.

It is unfortunate he placed UFO in the title of the video, but fortunate in a sense that I would never had found it if he hadn't. The low rating of the video expresses the frustration of the viewers who fail to see the subtle effect, not because there is nothing there.

Because the effect is subtle, you will require careful analysis to determine exactly what it was. Please get over your frustration and stop posting here if you have nothing new to bring to the discussion, thanks.

I am waiting for reply of Adam Scheibeler (the maker) and will request the original footage when he does plus ask him about the weather conditions, if there was any barrier over the field or a bird and his team mates reaction to the footage.

Your input is highly appreciated as always.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I don't understand how you can think you have the final say on whether the guy put spin on it or not. For one thing, you're just watching video of it. Plus his foot clearly goes up the side of the ball.

If I kicked any rounded object the way he did, it would rotate the direction of the kick.

Originally posted by MoonMine

But no matter how much opposition, I am not folding.

Can we please start making snide remarks?

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by alaskan
I don't understand how you can think you have the final say on whether the guy put spin on it or not. For one thing, you're just watching video of it. Plus his foot clearly goes up the side of the ball.

You are watching the same video as we all are. We have a difference of opinion with regards of the interpretation of the presented footage, nothing more, nothing less.

Can we please start making snide remarks?

You would have to ask a mod that question.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tgautier13
reply to post by sotp

I've watched alot of soccer and have been playing the sport since I was six. I can tell you right now that this is a classic spin, like I said on an earlier page, and the only thing throwing everyone off is the angle from which the camera is recording the play.

This video has nothing do with spin. Spin just doesn't work that way. I can't get my head around the fact that someone would even begin to think about using that argument. It's so wrong that it borders calling a circle a square. I don't even want to dignify this by trying to explain why it isn't spin. It's that obvious.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Shroomery

Would you please explain your reasoning to us all then? Because all I'm seeing is a common soccer technique being utilized.

Please provide your facts showing us all how there is an invisible UFO just chillin in the air right above a soccer pitch which didn't care to move out of the way with their faster then light engines when they saw a ball about to hit the bottom of their ride.

This entire thread reminds me of that scene in Signs where joaquin phoenix is chillin in the closet with his tin-foil hat on watching some bird hit an invisible ufo on TV.

This video is not for children or the faint of heart. Or, the kind of people who think aliens try to interrupt soccer games.

[edit on 8-2-2009 by Tgautier13]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tgautier13
reply to post by Shroomery

Would you please explain your reasoning to us all then? Because all I'm seeing is a common soccer technique being utilized.

Please provide your facts showing us all how there is an invisible UFO just chillin in the air right above a soccer pitch which didn't care to move out of the way with their faster then light engines when they saw a ball about to hit the bottom of their ride.

This entire thread reminds me of that scene in Signs where joaquin phoenix is chillin in the closet with his tin-foil hat on watching some bird hit an invisible ufo on TV.

My reasoning? That's like asking me to explain why I think the sun gives off light or why it doesn't at night.

You just gave your own explanation. You assume that it must be spin, because a UFO is just impossible, so you push aside the reality of this video because the alternative is just a big "no-no" to you. You don't have to make a choice between the two you know. To me it's just like the bird/weather balloon/plane arguments we see on so many UFO video's. Sometimes they are reasonable explanations, sometimes they make you wonder if you're even looking at the same video.

Spin CURVES a ball, it doesn't deflect it, and while it can be quite jerky or sudden, it's totally different from what we see here. And yes I too have played soccer for 10 years, but to be honest that is completely irrelevant because it works virtually the same in soccer, ping pong, baseball, or whatever.

And let me make it clear that I don't think it's a UFO, I never claimed that, I'll accept a gust of wind, a bird we didn't see, or a wire. But to even argue that it is spin is so out there that I'd rather accept the UFO explanation. In fact, my hope in the human race has fallen just from reading the spin arguments in this thread and frankly it pisses me off.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Once again...

because some things bear repeating twice.

Courtesy Is Mandatory – Please Review This Link.

Spin, deflection, wind gust, whatever... This has proven to be an interesting little thread. Let's not spoil it with insults and maintain a bit of civility. Is that really so much to ask?

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shroomery
You just gave your own explanation. You assume that it must be spin,

I assume it is a spin, because I have played soccer for 13 years and I understand what a spin looks like looking from the midfield on at one.

because a UFO is just impossible, so you push aside the reality of this video because the alternative is just a big "no-no" to you. You don't have to make a choice between the two you know. To me it's just like the bird/weather balloon/plane arguments we see on so many UFO video's. Sometimes they are reasonable explanations, sometimes they make you wonder if you're even looking at the same video.

If you would re-read my first post on this page:

"Honestly, I believe in the E.T. phenomena, in fact I have had one first hand account with a UFO. I am a 'believer'. Yet no matter how many times I watch the OP's video, no matter how hard I try to believe I'm actually seeing something paranormal here, it just looks like a normal soccer play to me. That's all it is, a normal soccer play. Other people have posted videos with much more radical spins done by professionals in this thread."

You would've seen I gave both sides of the argument equal merit. From my first viewing, I knew it was just a spinning ball, and that the angle from which the cameraman is recording the video is what makes it look like there's some sort of deflection happening.

For the sake of argument and to reaffirm my own belief regarding this debate, I have re-watched and re-watched the video, I have analyzed the individual frames others have provided. I have come to the firm conclusion that there is nothing paranormal at all occurring in the video.

Spin CURVES a ball, it doesn't deflect it, and while it can be quite jerky or sudden, it's totally different from what we see here.

Not its not, not at all. Like I have said time and time again, the ball starts out at an angle approaching the camera, then the spin takes it in the opposite direction away from the camera and to the ground.

And yes I too have played soccer for 10 years, but to be honest that is completely irrelevant because it works virtually the same in soccer, ping pong, baseball, or whatever.

It is not irrelevant, its a matter of experience and knowledge in the game, and understanding the physics of what you're trying to say we're looking at. The other sports have nothing to do with curving trajectory of a soccer ball; all the sports you just mentioned obviously have balls of differing size and density.

You cannot take a paper plane and demonstrate how a commercial airliner couldn't have hit the pentagon. This argument just doesn't make sense.

And let me make it clear that I don't think it's a UFO, I never claimed that, I'll accept a gust of wind, a bird we didn't see, or a wire. But to even argue that it is spin is so out there that I'd rather accept the UFO explanation. In fact, my hope in the human race has fallen just from reading the spin arguments in this thread and frankly it pisses me off.

So, instead of claiming what we're seeing in a video is a common technique used in the game, you would rather believe it is:

1. An invisble UFO,
  2. A gust of wind that somehow could violently knock the ball of its trajectory, yet not show any sign of affecting any of the players on the ground,
  3. A bird thats not even visible on the close up freeze-frames,
  4. A wire over hanging a soccer pitch so thin it is not visible in the freeze frames either, yet somehow able to still knock a ball travelling 45+ miles per hour off its trajectory.

I'm sorry you have such little faith in the human race.

Edit: Removed a smiley. I know how much some people get so worked up over those little guys...

[edit on 8-2-2009 by Tgautier13]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Wow!

Excellent example of Gravity right there!

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
theball hit an overhead cable

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Oh please people. Rewatch the video. It is a little misleading because you don't quite see what was happening just before the kick, but I'd bet it had been cleared back to him from inside and when he kicked the ball low it produced a ton of backspin. It then hit a wind current in mid-air moving opposite and threw the ball back towards the ground.
I have made this kick myself often enough that I can even control that sort of spin. Pretty effective for passing the ball over the heads of the defenders and dropping it in front of a team-mate. Which again, is what happened here.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Having watched a bit more of this.... If you watch the slow mo bits, you don't see as much of the "deflection"

However, in the originol you do.... I think what is happening here is due to the way the filmer zooms out really fast. The perspective changes and makes it look as though it bounces off and "invisible object"

Coupled with Gravity ofcourse

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Sorry but i don't see a deflection.

Good luck next time

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Look.. regardless if folks want to convince themselves they are experts of aerodynamics as it pertains to sports (baseballs, soccer balls, etc.), there was NO 'dramatic' deflection. I had to look more than once to even see what you were talking about!

But do this. Go outside, and go find a car port or something. Kick the ball at an angle like you saw here. When you see the ball takes a much more dramatic downward angle, perhaps you'll reconsider your theory. It barely moves at ALL. Wind could easily accomplish that. And I still think spin + gravity + the weather could VERY easily create this effect. It's 1000 times more likely than an invisible object hovering over the field.

I'm sorry, but this entire thread is silly. THIS is why disclosure, if they so choose, could easily never come about. When people take pictures of bugs, birds, and now soccer balls, and claim they are ufos, it's terribly easy to discredit many more sightings.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Like others said, it's most likely due to the spinning.

Also, why would a UFO be so close to the ground? And why would it be hovering above a soccer game?

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Hyzera

That's actually a really good question.
Consider for a moment OUR current surveilance technology. I mean, they can read license plates from orbiting satellites. I would hope that the UFO folks would have technology sufficient to observe the game from a little higher up than 10' in the air. Especially considering they obviously have a cloaking device on board.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
right.....i've been reading this thread for a while and as a footy player (ahem...soccer) myself i'd like to point out that footballs have valves (obviously) and sometimes when the valve is struck the ball physics change in an unpredicable way

www.youtube.com...

forward the video to around 0:56 and you'll see

it happens all the time

[edit on 8/2/09 by jinxjinx]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Very misleading video.

In this kick, if you look from a bird's point of view, you will see that the ball is actually curving side to side while it's coming down.

I've seen sharper curves in tennis when I was in the audience lol.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join