It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kudos to FEMA and the National Guard!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
As most of you know, a huge ice storm crippled parts of the United States nearly two weeks ago. Many of us here in Kentucky are on the 12th day without power. I am only able to be here right now thanks to a generator that we broke down and bought after having to travel over 125 miles one way to get kerosene. FEMA and the NG have been in town since last week, setting up shelters and giving out food, water, blankets, hygiene products...The NG have been going door to door checking on folks and if needed taking them to warming stations and seeing that they get showers and hot meals. They have been clearing roads of trees and downed lines in the rural areas so that people can out. They have been amazing and I am so thankful for them!! This week they have been giving out vouchers for kerosene and free propane. What a Godsend! Many people here could not get to work that first week, so funds are low for some. God forbid, but if there is ever a disaster in your area, be comforted knowing that these guys will be there!!

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
It's good to hear that help is available. You didn't mention, however, how FEMA is helping. NG is a state organization. They've always been there when needed because the states work together when help is needed. States helping states and all. It's the Fed's that typically trip all over themselves and end up driving ice all over the country when help is needed.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Glad to hear you and your town are getting the help you all need. It's also nice to see a thread started that demonstrates the good things that FEMA and the National Guard do. Here's hoping they get all the power up and running soon, in the mean time stay warm!

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Again, let's not lump the Guard and FEMA together, shall we? It's unfair to the Guard and the states.

If asked, this is line #2

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

It wasn't my intention to lump them together, but they are here working hand in hand and are set up together in the armory building. My was intention was to make sure to leave neither out ok.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

It is my understanding that FEMA is bringing in the food, water, blankets etc...and the Guard is distributing them. Also, they have made sure that generators were brought in so that warming centers could be established. I am sure I am off on somethings and am leaving somethings that they are doing out, I just thought it important to report that we are getting help here from these organizations and they have been wonderful!

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
You mean, they're not rounding you all up for the camps and confiscating your weapons!?

So, FEMA doing the job they're paid to do, who'd of guessed it?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Well done for them all, they're doing their best in a very difficult situation and managing to help a lot of people. I guess things have really moved on since Katrina.

Hope you get life back together soon.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

LOL, I know imagine that right! I never thought I would hear myself say this, but I really just want to wash my dishes!

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Imagine that! Pretty much the only thread on this site thanking FEMA instead of saying how they are a bunch of neo nazi prison death camp workers in training.

Greenize

Hope everything thaws out soon and you get your power back. Bet your questioning that global warming thing right about now eh?

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I am in W. Ky too. Let us not forget to add the Red Cross. They were the ones running the programs at the National Guard armory....cooking food, giving away blankets etc.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
This is the type of "welfare" that I am for 100%.

Did you also get hit by the wind storm?

I got hit by both but have not lost power once - lucky me (for the first time in a while :lol

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I thought the purpose of FEMA was to throw everyone in concentration camps and then execute them?
And I thought our military would be the ones to enforce this and round everyone up

You mean, they are helping people and allowing them to go on with their lives?

Well, hang in there. I feel bad for all of you suffering through this and hope things get back to normal sooner then later!!

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
My son was in Houston when the last big storm hit Im sure you all remember that

he said the police were amazing and without them there would have been so much opportunistic lawlessness that it would not have even been survivable

he said they were busting price gougers right and left

FEMA was nowhere ,and FEMA shutdown cell phone communication,so people who were completely stranded had no way to notify anyone where they were
and they had no way to find out what the rest of the city and region were doing,or where to go help

he banded together with his neighbors and they shared food ,and the services they still had some had water but no electric and vice versa ,some still had computer access

he said the garbage haulers were a Godsend and they came twice a day to haul away the tons of waste and food that was rotting on shelves everywhere.

Hang there bless you and your family

top topics

join