It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Bugging Out To The City

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Since everyone is planning to bug out to the country where I live, I'm bugging out to the city! Using reverse logic, I imagine they'll all be empty. I'll then have access to plenty of shelter, water, food, clothing, cars, etc. It'll be just like in the Omega Man movie!

Who needs the country when it will be overrun by all the Johnny Rambo, Grizzly Adams wannabes? I can imagine the futility of trying to hunt or trap game with all the gun-toting, crossbow shooting yahoos running about the countryside scaring everything away.. Most likely to the city where I'll be.

Yeah, a true survivalist must be flexible and able to think outside of the box.

[edit on 7-2-2009 by LLoyd45]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
Since everyone is planning to bug out to the country where I live, I'm bugging out to the city! Using reverse logic, I imagine they'll all be empty. I'll then have access to plenty of shelter, water, food, clothing, cars, etc. It'll be just like in the Omega Man movie!

Who needs the country when it will be overrun by all the Johnny Rambo, Grizzly Adams wannabes? I can imagine the futility of trying to hunt or trap game with all the gun-toting, crossbow shooting yahoos running about the countryside scaring everything away.. Most likely to the city where I'll be.

Yeah, a true survivalist must be flexible and able to think outside of the box.

Sometime when I get frustrated with townies arriving out here and buggering up the place with their dumb habits ( complaining about cows mooing, mud on the road etc) I start thinking I would like to move to somewhere like Kerguelen, Or St Helena, or Tristan Da Cunha etc

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I know what you mean. Recently we've had droves of rich city people moving into this neck of the woods. They build huge, palatial houses that are as out of place as tits on a boar. They don't like the smell of the cows or pigs, complain about tractors on the road, and have even gone so far as to start petitions to have farming areas rezoned.

I must ask, What exactly drew them to the country in the first place? Now we have theaters being built, Super Wal Marts going up, and traffic congestion in town during rush hour. Our small town ambiance is slowly being destroyed by these misguided idiots.
:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Watch out LLoyd there gonna beat you down now, just like I have been for my City Survival thread.

I personally balieve the city/town is a very survivable place to live. Yes its harder but it can be done. Star and flag from me. if any body needs it the thread is here

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
You might want to bear in mind that the underclass probably won't be able to afford to move to the country and probably wouldn't consider it as an option anyway.

They will be the people you will have to share the city with.

I know this, I moved out to the country a year ago to get away from them. I lived in a block of flats where my immediate neighbour was a drug dealer. He was a very friendly man, probably because he wanted to keep on the right side of everybody so no-one would want to report him.

One evening he and his girlfriend got held hostage in their flat by a gunman who was looking for a friend of theirs. They managed to escape when the friend turned up and the gunman chased after him. I got all this info by listening to the armed police (who had kicked his door in) discussing the situation.

Another time I fell foul of one of the loonier neighbours and my friend warned him to stay away from me. Next thing, there was a 'heavy' on the doorstep, high as a kite and totally unreasonable. He threatened to bomb me, cut up my dog and put a voodoo curse on me. Luckily (!) my drug dealing neighbour knew him and the idiot neighbour and mediated for me.

I understand what you are saying about townies ruining some aspects of the countryside but you might be better advised to move somewhere even more remote

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
When SHTF, and its time for survival instincts, I doubt seriously your going to find an abundance of water, food, shelter in the city.

You are most likely to find empty store shelves, contaminated water, no running water, chaos and a war zone like environment.

If I were you I would stay in the country and be happy. You are already ahead of the game.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

I know what you mean. Recently we've had droves of rich city people moving into this neck of the woods. They build huge, palatial houses that are as out of place as tits on a boar. They don't like the smell of the cows or pigs, complain about tractors on the road, and have even gone so far as to start petitions to have farming areas rezoned.

(To the U.K. readers) Cheshire anyone?

Lloyd45, "tits on a boar" had me spitting out my bacon and black-pudding. Genius.

Point taken though, the NIMBYs even try it in the city. Whinging at the noise a depot makes because it's located on the same road as several converted bonding warehouses. Geez, you can't even break wind in London before 8am.

Can't we put the "useless eaters" on the Golgafrincham B ship with telephone sanitisers and marketing executives.

Oh hell, they'd only end up back on Earth!

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
[edit : how the hell did I post that twice?]

[edit on 7-2-2009 by Nirgal]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
When SHTF, and its time for survival instincts, I doubt seriously your going to find an abundance of water, food, shelter in the city.

You are most likely to find empty store shelves, contaminated water, no running water, chaos and a war zone like environment.

If I were you I would stay in the country and be happy. You are already ahead of the game.

Cheers!!!!
I was being somewhat facetious with my post, but honestly a person could feasibly survive in a city if they had good survival instincts, and remained at least moderately vigilant to the people and places around them.

Most people are like electrons and take the path of least resistance. They'll grab all the items people typically think of and leave the rest behind. Few will think of taking dry good items like beans, rice, peas, flour, corn meal, vitamins, etc.) that would require too much time and effort to prepare. There's also dozens of scavenger birds like gulls and pigeons in most cities that make for good eating if you know how to trap them. Lastly, don't forget the ever abundant squirrels and rats as well!

Cities also have many sources of water available (hot water tanks, toilet tanks, fountains, etc..) you just have to be savvy enough to know where to look. I can imagine some people dying of thirst even though they have a 55 gallon water tank full of water on the premises.

The biggest problem will be other people. It's much easier to take something from someone else, than to actually forage for it yourself. If you're smart, you'll take note of these individuals and their haunts, then avoid them. They look for easy prey that can be caught with little to no effort or planning on their part.

Just a few my thoughts on the matter..

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Surviving in the city wouldn't be hard as long as you had a small, well armed group. Unless sitX is nuclear, biological, or viral. That would make it a pain in the ass.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I must ask, What exactly drew them to the country in the first place? Now we have theaters being built, Super Wal Marts going up, and traffic congestion in town during rush hour. Our small town ambiance is slowly being destroyed by these misguided idiots.
:

Dunno, some romantic notion about raising the 2.5 fashion accessories called Tristan and Clarissa in a idylic rural location ?. I do know the migrants from the south east of England really piss off most of the locals in the west country with their attitude. Same up in Northumberland with rich Lanaders buying up second homes, and not becoming part of the community. I know personally that if a sit X occurs in some places the Waynes and Tracies fleeing the home counties to their second homes are going to suffer badly at the hands of the indiginous folks. Not all Landaners are bad uns by any means, BUT there is definately a major cultural issue seperating the Suvverners from the west country and northern folk.

One of the Unis did a bit of research into the White Flight trend that is occuring in places like London. Many of the families moving to get away from the hell that is multi cultural Landan are finding themselves in conflict with the natives of the rural counties they have fled to. They appear to be unable to adapt to the smaller scale, slower pace of the rural areas, they struggle to live in harmony with the environment and the seasons, silly things like whinging about a lack of shops and clubs, driving to fast round the country lanes, building or decorating their homes in a manner that is not harmonious with the area.

[edit on 7-2-2009 by Northern Raider]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
"I'm from Iowa. I just work in outer space."

For the record I'm a Yellowbelly, I just currently work and reside in Landan.

Can we all just say we're going to stay put in the cities so when TSHTF no-one comes looking for us when we've actually upped-sticks and legged it?

Oh, that's what we were doing? Sorry...

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I smiled at the bit of irony in your post. Have to remember that most cities used to be in the country until they became so large, that the country atmosphere disappeared and that is what made them "cities". Those that didn't want to be in the "city" moved further out and the process eventually begins again.

City survival at the least would be more risky than survival in the more remote areas. The water, food, and most of all the people that will stay in the cities will be polluted in one way or another and for your survival that would not bode well.

~Holly

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

They sound just like the Kalifornians who are trying to invade the rest of the country over here. No one really wants most of them because they bring their gangs and crime with them. And they don't fit in just like you said.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis

They sound just like the Kalifornians who are trying to invade the rest of the country over here. No one really wants most of them because they bring their gangs and crime with them. And they don't fit in just like you said.

I like Okies and Kansans they appear to be born with genetically inherited common sense and good manners.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Exactly.. They want to escape the rigors of the city, but for some reason are insistent upon bring all it's ills with them in tow. Few of them have manners,they're unaware of the concept of private space, and drive like lunatics.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I grew up on a farm in central Washington so my common sense growth wasn't hindered by smog from the cities. Most people who don't have any seem to be from cities. I said most, not all.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Exactly.. They want to escape the rigors of the city, but for some reason are insistent upon bring all it's ills with them in tow. Few of them have manners,they're unaware of the concept of private space, and drive like lunatics.

The thing i hate the most is they invade other towns and then expect the people who lived there first to conform to their ways. I have seen this first hand here in Idaho.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns

Cheers!!!!

Just to add, in the panic most people will not think about raiding the back of the supermarket.... warehouse

new topics

top topics

join