It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

I wonder how many UFO sightings this will cause?

page: 1
1

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Video: www.liveleak.com...


This craft looks like a straight up UFO. Anyone who sees this thing from the ground is going to think its an alien spacecraft. I suppose the fins might give it away to the more observant people though.

[edit on 7-2-2009 by Cio88]




posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
LOL!!!


This was published on one of NASA's sites recently, and also in the NYT paper some months ago. Its just a flimsy flying bubble that cant even take off without bumbling all over the place..as seen in that video.

IMO, it was a huge waste of money by NASA. But that in itself isnt unusual anyway.



Cheers!!!!



posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
LOL!!!


This was published on one of NASA's sites recently, and also in the NYT paper some months ago. Its just a flimsy flying bubble that cant even take off without bumbling all over the place..as seen in that video.

IMO, it was a huge waste of money by NASA. But that in itself isnt unusual anyway.

Define waste? Wouldnt this be great to deploy on the moon and maybe Mars, taking aerial photographs of say... pyramids?



posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by merka

Originally posted by RFBurns
LOL!!!


This was published on one of NASA's sites recently, and also in the NYT paper some months ago. Its just a flimsy flying bubble that cant even take off without bumbling all over the place..as seen in that video.

IMO, it was a huge waste of money by NASA. But that in itself isnt unusual anyway.

Define waste? Wouldnt this be great to deploy on the moon and maybe Mars, taking aerial photographs of say... pyramids?


Well it would be useless on the moon, no air and the airbag would burst from no pressure and would not work as a lighter than air ballon would.

For Mars, well thats another issue, it wouldnt work very well there either. It takes about 20 minutes for commands to be sent via radio to Mars. The thing would need a very smart computer on board that could avoid obstacles before executing commands sent to it 20 minutes earlier.

Another thing, wind storms on Mars are frequent and very violent. I dont think this thing would have a chance staying anywhere or flying very stable in extreme wind conditions.

Then there is the energy consumption issue for propulsion. You cant use normal fossil fuel engines on Mars. Even electric motors driving the propellers would require alot of energy to fight against the Mars wind storms, which means loading it down with cells and solar pannels. It wouldnt be very practical from the engineering point of view.

A neat concept tho.




Cheers!!!!



posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
What exactly was the purpose for this airship in the first place?

Is it meant to be a transport vehicle? Perhaps an observational platform?



posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
must.....
resist...
butt jokes....
can't....
contain....

Ahhhh! It's not just me. My kid just walked up and said "It looks like a butt"

Seriously, though, that is a pretty cool machine.

But, they need to paint a thong or something on that thing. It's indecent.

[edit on 7-2-2009 by tjack]



posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by tjack
 


Heh! Give a star to your kid!


I think the intent for this bumbling airbubble ship was to develop a new type of lighter than air airship, for various purposes. It is capable of going much higher in altitude than a regular blimp. But I am not sure I would want to be on that thing as flimsy as it flies near the ground! I can imagine how instable it will be in high altitude where winds can be in excess of 100mph!!!

Maybe if they put more thrusters on it to stabalize it and provide for stronger propulsion force it might work.



Cheers!!!!



posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
reply to post by tjack
 


Heh! Give a star to your kid!


I think the intent for this bumbling airbubble ship was to develop a new type of lighter than air airship, for various purposes. It is capable of going much higher in altitude than a regular blimp. But I am not sure I would want to be on that thing as flimsy as it flies near the ground! I can imagine how instable it will be in high altitude where winds can be in excess of 100mph!!!

Maybe if they put more thrusters on it to stabalize it and provide for stronger propulsion force it might work.



Cheers!!!!


Wasn’t there some talk about using these as comms relay stations instead of expensive satellites – would have to be smaller I guess



posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Even though it might not be most aerodynamically acceptable design, it is interesting to look at. I believe it requires a lot of skill to fly that thing. I would also like to understand why and for what purpose it was designed and built in the first place.



posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cio88
Video: www.liveleak.com...


This craft looks like a straight up UFO. Anyone who sees this thing from the ground is going to think its an alien spacecraft. I suppose the fins might give it away to the more observant people though.

[edit on 7-2-2009 by Cio88]

Thanks for that. With such an obsession for confetti aliens with notches and blinking paper mache aliens not many people have asked what the volume to lift ratio is of various gasses in dirigible aircraft.


Maybe that's the point.

[edit on 7-2-2009 by jackphotohobby]



posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jackphotohobby
 


To follow up, the (F9C) Sparrowhawks and the USS Akron and Macon:

aerostories.free.fr...



posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Folks, this is nothing new. Check out the NASA Craft current.com... With crafts like this, they can track any RFID device in your home, gather Logistic Information on who has how much food, medical supplies, ect if the world falls deeper in the slide. They will take your food and re-distribute to all. You hard earned dollars that you used to purchase goods, will be taken from you. They will also use these equipped with the liquid lasers found on the darpa.mil site to drop enemy weapons, spy on other countries, including our own, gather Global Data of all kinds, communicate through ELF/VLF to underground bunkers, under sea transport. Last it can be used to probe the earth for Lost Treasures, Lost Cities, Reserves of Oil/Gas, Gold, Silver, Copper and Salt.

I think everyone should just start a community storehouse within the place they worship or a civic org like the Masons or Eastern Star to have enough food/supplies on hand for a 3 year time frame. It should have enough supplies for each member of the community, livestocck, and pets, and project forward enough to supply the needs 3 years down the road. Food/Supplies will be the next GOLD. There soon will not be enough food to go around, let's all plan now.
Faith McGary
Twitter: NASAcrew



new topics

top topics



 
1

log in

join