It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the US military being led into a trap?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zenagain
Afghanistan is not winnable, if for no other reason than...... there's nothing to WIN. At least in Iraq, there's oil. There is jack and # in Afghanistan but Poppies, which were it up to me, would all be napalmed tomorrow. # Osama Bin ladin. He would be just a PUNK but for our medias love affair with him. The only power he has is that which we GIVE him. But for that? He's just an old crippled Saudi bastard. Ask me? Invade Saudi Arabia. I'll HAPPILY ride a bike for a couple years......

Inform yourself...

Wikipedia

Afghanistan (pronounced /æfˈgænɪstæn/[4]), officially the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (Persian: جمهوری اسلامی افغانستان), (Pashto: د افغانستان اسلامي جمهوریت), is a landlocked country that is located approximately in the center of Asia. It is variously designated as geographically located within Central Asia,[5][6] South Asia,[7][8] and the Middle East.[9] It is bordered by Pakistan in the south and east, Iran in the south and west, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan in the north, and China in the far northeast.

Sounds to me, in the current environment, that Afghanistan is very valuable militarily if not economically.

However,

According to the U.S. Geological Survey and the Afghan Ministry of Mines and Industry, Afghanistan may be possessing up to 36 trillion cubic feet (1,000 km3) of natural gas, 3.6 billion barrels (570,000,000 m3) of petroleum and up to 1,325 million barrels (2.107E+8 m3) of natural gas liquids.

Other reports show that the country has huge amounts of gold, copper, coal, iron ore and other minerals.

Hmmm.... potential there.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Tajikistan said that they were interested in providing a safe route for supplies.

Anyway, you can do airlifting, but it cost MUCH more money than regular by-truck shipping.... just look at the world trade... majority of it by truck or boat.

Just like Germany supplying the Stalingrad pocket during WW2... it was possible... but really hard... and costly.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I think one of the biggest logistical problems is getting the supplies to a friendly country that will allow you to fly supplies out of it for the troops in Afghanistan.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join