It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for Tarot card enthusiasts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I would like to offer a brief background touching on my past and personal experiences with Tarot cards in hopes to better show you where I am coming from . Ideally I would like to provoke a discussion rather then simply asking a question to get an answer . I thank you in advance for your participation , whatever form that participation shall take is up to you .

I remember the first time that I ever saw a Tarot card , I was just a kid . I didn't know what I was looking at at the time , but there was something very captivating in the card's art and imagery . I remember looking over each card in my great aunts Ridder Waite Tarot deck for what seemed like an eternity before I put it back where I found it . It wasn't until many years later that I had my next experience with Tarot .
During my teen years , there was a flea market of sorts in my neighborhood that my friends and I would some times go to . This flea market so happened to have a lady who read Tarot cards , for a small fee of course and on one visit I gave in and payed the 20 to have a reading done .....
From what I remember of the reading it was some what accurate , however my experience was not as profound as that first time I had discovered my great aunts Tarot deck . Once again it was many years until my next encounter with Tarot cards .
Roughly 4 years ago , out of the blue , I was struck with the Idea of getting a Tarot deck . I went out and bought a Ridder Waite deck . I promptly went home and opened my new deck only to discover , to my disappointment at the time , That the deck was written in Spanish . Sense I don't read Spanish I went out yet again , this time I bought a deck called , Ramses: Tarot of Eternity , and so began my love for the mysterious Tarot .
After looking over each card I decided to do a reading for an uncle of mine . I laid out the cards and read away . I then called my uncle , telling him what the cards told me and to both my surprise and his , I was right on the money .
Later that night I was searching out the net for any useful information that I could find regarding Tarot . During my search I found a message board site that actually had a site member that hosted a free Tarot card class , I promptly signed up . The class involved one lesson each week that the teacher would post on the site and then in turn the class members would submit there hand in and post it to the lesson's thread . The hand in was mostly a essay based on the lesson that was offered for that week . The class teacher even went as far as to grade each had . It was a good experience and a lot of fun .
Over the next few years I went on to buy more decks (think I am up to 20 decks now ) as well as read quite a few books , either directly or indirectly related to Tarot . The best book that I've read on Tarot , IMHO would have to be , The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination by Robert Place . If you have never herd of this book I would highly recommend you read it , assuming that you are a Tarot enthusiast .
This book sparked something in my and it greatly increased my knowledge of the cards .
Anyone who is familiar with Tarot knows that the cards are meant to speak to the person attempting to gain insight from the cards through symbolism and imagery . However we are not all the same person so what particular deck that might speak to me might not speak to others and vis versa . The imagery used in Tarot cards and all the various decks is almost countless , with 1000's of decks to chose from there's a deck for everyone . Most decks are based on one of 3 decks , the Waite deck , the Marseilles Tarot or the Thoth Tarot . These decks lay the bases for many of the different decks on the market today , no matter there differences they usually contain shared themes and a common denominator to its counterpart from a different deck . Tarot symbolism is based on many different esoteric studies ranging from numerology to Kabala to stelar theology to alchemy . The cards attempt to make use of the symbolism to convey a different meaning for each card . What is one ment to do with this underlining meaning ? Well to each there own , some use Tarot for divination , some for meditation , some use Tarot for a specific purpose in casting a spell and heck , I am sure there are some that use them in the spokes of there bicycle .
I have gone on to really appreciate Tarot and I am fascinated by the cards and there symbolism and I am interested in hearing from you .

My couple of questions to you are as follow ...

What form of symbolism speaks to you the loudest ? What deck or decks do you own ? Was there one particular form of esoteric study that helped you better understand the symbolism used in your deck ? And lastly , what are some of your personal experiences with Tarot ?

[edit on 7-2-2009 by Max_TO]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I am 43 years old and I live in Mexicali, México. My mother used to read for herself with a great success. I lived in the US for almost 10 years.

In Los Angeles, I once did a favor to a old Black lady and she told me if she could reciprocate by reading the Tarot and would also do a chart for me. I said my mother used to used the cards on herself, but that that was not for me. She told me that that was fine, asked me for my name and birthday and told me to come back in three days.

I completely forgot about the incident, but I wanted to know if the favor I did turned beneficial for her, so I went to visit her about a week later. She told me to sit on the floor and she´d tell me how things turned out for her after she would read for me.

She gave me a picture of a situation which I didn´t understand much, and I thanked her to be polite. I remember I thought it was pretty grim, and I asked if there was anything I could do so I could overcome that. Then she very accurately described my life, my relationship with my family, finances, romance, and the whole enchilada. I felt nothing special had happenned and I was releaved when the reading ended. After she thanked me for the favor, and told me the details of it, I left.

Three days later, I was in the same situation she warned me about. I instantly remembered the solution she had given me and I followed step by step what she told me to do, and I am safe. I would have been dead or in a hospital badly wounded if I wouldn´t have known. I am peaceful and I don´t get in fights. I have nothing to prove type of guy. I guess I had to know what she told me. I was amazed.

So I started learning to read and I combined it with astrology.

I use the Rider-Waite since then. I was 21 years old in 1987 when that happened. I own several decks, but my favorite is Rider Waite. I have some made by myself, and even a Baseball tarot since I love Baseball. I have been told I am quite accurate.

What I do, if it may help anyone is do an astrological spread with 12 cards. 6 above and 6 below, plus 3 more which tell me any special problem, advice or simply what to concentrate on. I shuffle the cards first and I ask for the name of the querent. I shuffle and lay the cards on the table and put my hands over them and do a little prayer asking for the right information on what the querent NEEDS to know, and thank the force, and imagine a thread of light coming from the person to the cards. I hand the cards to the querent and ask him or her to move the cards around and put them together as he pleases. That is the right way for the person to do it. The cards will be in just the right position when the querent is done. and I lay the cards in the manner I wrote above. One spread for the present and one for the future. You can even start by doing one for the past and surprise them.

I never ask people what they want to know, because I trust and know that the tarot will tell them what they NEED to know and not more nor less. I am the messenger. The Magician in the cards...

I have read for more than 5 thousand people, I guess, in the 21, almost 22 years of reading. I started meditating in 1989 and that has improved my skill by leaps and bounds, but astrology goes hand in hand with the tarot. Give it a try. You can give dates, or have more information in regards to the people involved in the reading, even if you don´t know them.

Nowadays, I find people I read for long ago and they tell me what I told them and asked me how I did it to know. I guess they feel the same way I feel about Mother Moon, the Black lady which started it all in my life.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Mexican against NAU

Great story , thanks for sharing !

I am also interested to hear that you took on the task of making your own Tarot deck . I too have been giving some thought to creating my own deck and I think it that it would be a great learning experience as well as a lot of fun .

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
What form of symbolism speaks to you the loudest ?

Hard to say. It really has to do with the art and the artists' understanding. I'm REALLY picky about art.

What deck or decks do you own ?

Many. I pick up any new one I find.

My favorites are Kuykendal's Cat People
And the Halloween Deck. I adore that one!

Was there one particular form of esoteric study that helped you better understand the symbolism used in your deck ?

No. And in fact, the ones where the artist uses their personal symbolism and it's at a disjunct from the original meaning are those that are hardest to read.

And lastly , what are some of your personal experiences with Tarot ?

I used to read at a commercial haunted house... so I'd have clients come in while there were werewolves howling around and chainsaws and flare cannons going off. I'd get the occasional ghoul-clown honking bicycle horns outside, too.

Truly amusing.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

I have the Halloween deck, too! Six of Pumpkins.... I agree with you, it´s great.

What symbolism speaks to me the loudest?

Images, astrological correspondences or relationships for the cards.

[edit on 7/2/2009 by Mexican against NAU]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Well I'm still in the process of learning the tarot in it's entirety, and as of right now I only have 2 decks

Fantastical Tarot (which is the one I use right now)
www.aeclectic.net...

and

The Pagan Tarot (which was also my first deck)
www.aeclectic.net...

I don't know when the fascination started, just that it did...I'm pretty sure it had something to do with my parents being ADAMANTLY against anything non-Baptist Christian, for example, I had an incense burning, some candles lit and some feathers lying on my cabinet, my dad walks in and thinks I'm having some sort of ritual. Another example, my friend lent me a Ouija board, my parents found it and threw it away, all while screaming and yelling at me over how they didn't raise me to be this way and they don't know where I'm getting it from and why blah blah blah.

Either way I still kept getting books that my parents would find somewhat questionable, I still went out of my way to look up information on alchemy vampires, werewolves and other types of folklore.

As the years progressed I kind of kept my little fascination hidden away from people (kids aren't very pleasant during middle school and much less during high school, I didn't want to be written off as 'that crazy girl who thinks she communes with spirits'). Unfortunately, during my freshman year of high school (quick back story, I went to a performing arts magnet school, so while I was taking standard courses from 7am-1pm, after that was 4 hours of training and classes in whatever strand we were at the school for. I was accepted for theatre), I was taking a movement class, and my professor, who is performance art based, extremely flamboyant and VERY VERY into dragging the hardest, most powerful emotions into your work.

Any who, we were doing an exercise on the floor, it was very much like a guided meditation, lights out, we told us to go and "create" out very personal work spaces blah blah blah. Well what ended up happening was I was lying on the floor convulsing, my back was burning up, tears streaming down my face... it sucked having to go through that freshman year.

Sidetracked, my apologies, soon after that little incident, I discovered a little new age shop called Flossie's, which was a few blocks away from the school. Turns out she also lent the space out to a few groups, one of them was a Wiccan study group.

Flossie's was the major turning point in my life I guess, since my high school was smack dab in the middle of downtown Miami, we were in a 9 story building with no cafeteria, so our lunches consisted of walking around downtown eating at wherever we wanted. It gave me that independence that I needed I suppose. I loved Flossie's the store was absolutely amazing and Flossie herself was just the coolest old woman I'd ever met.

I ended up buying my first deck there, but me being me, I wanted a deck that was a little more my style, and the Pagan tarot, I felt, didn't really call to me. I went back to Flossie's and found the Fantastical Tarot and fell in love with it (I even had the Lover's card tattooed on my back, it's the card that spoke most to me, and the imagery sealed the deal).

As far as experiences go...like I said I'm still learning and there have been cases where I'm spot on, and others where I just don't know where to start or end. I pretty much keep the readings to myself and personal friends, because I believe the tarot is something that, while it has its meanings and set formations, it's always open to interpretation, what one card means for me might mean something completely different for the person I'm reading. Then again, it could be my lack of knowledge that's hindered me.

The Lover's Card, from The Fantastical Tarot, by Natalie Hertz

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I am not so much into divination because I beleive that it is an artificial crutch, that everything we need to know is already within.

I have had my cards read a few times though. I will tell you what I have noticed.

It seemed to me that the cards were like a magnifying glass to any emotion that was within the reader and, to an extend, within me.

I had them read by a friend of mine that I trusted. NO problems, very insightful.

Then I also had them read by someoen who had an incredible amount of latent anger and hatred, which I didn't realize at first. That time I felt like some very bad energy followed me from the readin.

I think it can indeed be a good tool, but the thing is like with any spiritual tool, it takes a degree of maturity which can be potentially damaging to those who aren't ready to properly use it.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Just wanted to lend support to your thread. I started when just a little girl with Gong He Fot Choi my family picked up in China Town.

It has been a life's love ever since.

My favorite deck is the Osho Zen Tarot.

I have some great stories of how I came by my other decks like the Egyptian Tarot, but another time...

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Great story , thanks for sharing !

I am also interested to hear that you took on the task of making your own Tarot deck . I too have been giving some thought to creating my own deck and I think it that it would be a great learning experience as well as a lot of fun .

I collected some pictures and I started putting it all together. It took me months since I would have to really like it, plus put the astrological correspondences on top of the image and the name of the card. I made a template and started changing the information and pictures, and voila!

I used pre-cut cards with round borders. On the back I used a closely intertwined lines that I liked.

For every card, I used what colors I felt appropriate. I used at least little yellow for pentacles, for example, so I would at first glad, recognize every card.

I am sure that you will absolutely love a deck made by yourself. Choose the images that tell you exactly what the cards expresses, and good luck.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
I think it can indeed be a good tool, but the thing is like with any spiritual tool, it takes a degree of maturity which can be potentially damaging to those who aren't ready to properly use it.

I am in agreence w/you, maturity is a necessity.

As for experiences w/tarot/decks/etc. to the OP...

Came in contact with the "Cards" many times growing up. Began studying at age 13. Burned a few decks as well as the energy was not good that was contained in them.

I am an intuitive reader. My first deck was a Rider Wait as well. I also enjoy the art work on the many other decks I have...that is what strikes me.

I do not do readings for friends, family, etc. as there is something that pollutes the energy when you know these people intimately.

I do readings only when someone asks me to do it for them. I do not offer.

I inform anyone I have read for that the cards are giving them the message, they must interpret it, and that they can change the outcome any time....the message is not written in stone but basically as things stand at the time and moment I have given them the reading.

I enjoy the cards....but yes, everything we need to know, we do already know...we just have to remember.

~Holly

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Holly N.R.A.

How right you are with the bit of info that you offer to people that you read for . I do something similar , I have a little code of ethics that I will incest that whom ever I do a reading for , reads . It states pretty much the same thing that you had pointed out .

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Great idea !!

I have even thought about going around town with my camera and snapping some pictures that I could in turn use for a deck .

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by bandaidctrl

Thanks for sharing !
I would humbly suggest that you read the book The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination by Robert Place . You will love it and it will be a great little study tool as you work to learn about Tarot .

Another great set of books regarding Tarot would have to be the Tarot encyclopedia , its a four volume set . Its a treasure trove of info .

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Here is a list of all the Tarot decks that I have , in no particular order .

Rider Waite Tarot www.aeclectic.net...

The Alchemical Tarot : Renewed www.aeclectic.net...

Aleister Crowley Thoth Tarot www.aeclectic.net...

The World Spirit Tarot www.aeclectic.net...

Visconti Tarot www.aeclectic.net...

The Archeon Tarot www.aeclectic.net...

The Quest Tarot www.aeclectic.net...

Revelations Tarot www.aeclectic.net...

Deviant Moon Tarot www.aeclectic.net...

The Grail Tarot www.aeclectic.net...

Ramses Tarot of Eternity www.aeclectic.net...

The Transparent Tarot www.aeclectic.net...

I also have a Marseilles knock off deck .

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

reply to post by bandaidctrl

Thanks for sharing !
I would humbly suggest that you read the book The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination by Robert Place . You will love it and it will be a great little study tool as you work to learn about Tarot .

Another great set of books regarding Tarot would have to be the Tarot encyclopedia , its a four volume set . Its a treasure trove of info .

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm always open to new reading material, so I'll definitely be checking it out!

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
What form of symbolism speaks to you the loudest ? I hate the unicorn/fairy/whatever decks. The gemstone ones are alright for me... but I like a fanciful illustration that tells a story on mine.

What deck or decks do you own ? I used to have a bunch more, now I have Thoth and it will probably be the only one I will use forever. It has three magi. I love it. The end.

Was there one particular form of esoteric study that helped you better understand the symbolism used in your deck ? Honestly it came naturally to me. Palm reading did, too, I'm just generally good at divination. I "knew" what cards meant before I had actually read about them. But I have a book on Prophecy from like the 70s and it's like an encyclopedia, I learned the most from that. But I have a very good friend who is way into mysticism and he taught me a lot as well. Especially about interpretation.

And lastly , what are some of your personal experiences with Tarot ? I used to use them so much, and people still ask me for readings to solve problems or just for fun. For about three years, I've gotten the Tower for every single spread I've done for myself, so that's always fun. I find that if you do spreads too often, they become pretty diluted. You have to be very focused about it. I am way into gemstones and things, so usually I leave my cards near those. A few times I've used other people's decks and it made me frustrated because it's hard to change the energy in a deck, and the deck kind of adjusts to you.

I don't do it too often anymore. There are other way cool forms of divination, and I don't feel like I have a use for any divination in my live right now. Tarot can really get to your head after awhile, making you overanalyze situations, not cool.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Yes the Thoth deck is a great deck IMHO and interestingly enough there is a story to the three magi cards . Mr Crowly only intended the one magi card to make it to the deck . I will have to dig through a book that I have to retrieve the full story , but yes he only ever intended the one magician card to make it to the deck .

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Only one version of the Magus card was intended for inclusion in the Thoth tarot. As DuQuette explains in Understanding Aleister Crowley’s Thoth Tarot, “The mystery of the three magi of the Thoth Tarot, is no mystery at all. The seventy-eight cards of a standard tarot deck are printed on four sheets of twenty cards per sheet. This provides room for eighty card-size images per print run. Most publishers fill the extra spaces by printing two instructional or promotional cards. Rather than doing that, the Swiss publishers, A.G. Mueller, decided to treat Crowley/Harris aficionados to a little bonus by filling the extra spaces with two earlier versions of the Magus that Harris completed but Crowley rejected.”2 They were never intended to replace or supplement the final version of the card Crowley approved.

plutonica.net...

Yep, the artist just made two others and they included the rejects. I remembered, but there's a source too.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

HAHA yes thats it and that was the book that I was referring to , Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by Lon Milo Duquette

Thanks for finding it

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join