It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio Parole Board: Mercy For Death Row Inmate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Ohio Parole Board: Mercy For Death Row Inmate

www.examiner.com

COLUMBUS, Ohio (Map, News) - A death row inmate who killed his mother and whose execution is opposed by his entire family should not be put to death, the Ohio Parole Board ruled Friday in a rare decision opposing capital punishment.

The board voted 8-0 in favor of mercy for Jeffrey Hill, who stabbed his mother to death in 1991 in a crack-coc aine induced rage.

In its ruling, the board recommended that Gov. Ted Strickland commute Hill's sentence to life in prison with parole eligibility after 25 years.

Strickland will review the case thoroughly before making a decision, spokeswoman Amanda Wurst said Friday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
As I understand it, this is a pretty rare case, in which the family of the murdered woman pleaded for mercy for her killer. Matricide and patricide are usually severely condemned and punished in our society. It's hard to think of anything worse than killing your own parent. It evidently wasn't a case of self defense either. Apparently it was a drug-induced rage that caused him to do what he did, which makes it worse. I would like to know more about why the family is rushing to have his sentence reduced. Maybe they felt that his death would only make two murders instead of one. They are incredibly forgiving. I wonder how many families would do the same.

I will be interested in Governor Strickland's decision.

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

join