It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is your car a cop target?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
The following is a list of cars that are most likey to be targeted by cops for a stop and least likely.

Is your vechicle on the list? I drive a Jeep Wrangler, so luckily it is not on the list. But I have been pulled over a number of times - because, I have a speeding issue. My mom drives little Z3 and she too gets pulled over a lot. Though maybe a speeding problem on her part too

Do you believe this?
I asked a cop friend of mine, and he says he doesnt pull certain cars over more and he didnt know anyone who did.

The data come from a survey conducted by ISO Quality Planning. The company helps insurers spot risks; or in other words, it helps insurance companies spot you

10 Most Ticketed Cars

1. Hummer H2
2. Scion tC
3. Scion xB
4. Mercedes Benz CLK63 AMG
5. Toyota Solara Coupe
6. Mercedes Benz CLS63 AMG
7. Scion xA
8. Subaru Outback
9. Audi A4
10. Toyota Matrix

10 Least Ticketed Cars

1. Jaguar XJ
2. Chevrolet Suburban
3. Chevrolet Tahoe
4. Chevrolet Silverado 2500 and 3500
5. Buick Park Avenue
6. Mazda6
7. Buick Rainier
8. Oldsmobile Silhouette
9. Buick Lucerne
10. GMC Sierra 1500

Source: autos.yahoo.com...

[edit on 2/6/2009 by greeneyedleo]

[edit on 2/6/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I believe it also has to do with the color of the car. Red will get you significantly more speeding tickets than any other color. Whether it's a red minivan or a red sportscar, no matter. I've learned the hard way and will never buy another red car.

In my opinion, silver is the least ticketed car color, and that's been my experience.

[edit on 6-2-2009 by Clark W. Griswold]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Wow, it looks like it doesn't pay to drive a Scion.

Anywho, I dont think the cops do it purposely, I have a feeling there is some sort of subconscious trigger with certain vehicles. I also agree with Clark, that color has a LOT to do with it.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

There's something about Cheverolet the cops do not like. A guy was shot to death by two cops during the New Year. The cops claimed they felt threatned when the victim "held up his hands after exiting the vehicle" He died right beside his Suburban. Turns out the cops thought he was a drug dealer. OOPs , he was just passing through a rough neighborhood avoiding the csx trains....
No surprise though I've seen the cops pull over people walking along the road, must've been mistaken for zombies

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I think this looks rather accurate, and i agree with Clark W. Griswold, car color does come into play quite a bit, loud colors and "fancy" colors (i.e. the stuff that comes out of "Pimp My Ride") get pulled over more than a rust color or a soft color like silver or off white, pretty much old people colors as well.

I've never been pulled over before, never really go the speed limit, i've always driven at a safe 5 miles over, 10 on lucky days, than again i'm super cautious. I've driven several different cars, none being on that list though, stick with Chevy. No one in my family has been pulled over for a good legit reason though.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I just sold my 300zxTT that was a huge cop target. It was painted fire orange/red/yellow you know, one of those chameleon sort of paint jobs.

My first day having that car I walked out of my house to go to work and there was three sheriffs standing in a circle behind my car in MY driveway. They all looked at me and just slowly walked back to their cars and drove away. Dunno what that was about.

I would have to go EXACTLY the speed limit driving on highways because I swear every time I bumped it up a few mph within minutes there would be a CHP car tailgating me. It was amazing because i could basically summon CHP on demand. I showed a few friends this phenomenon just to prove that color DOES make a difference. I routinely would have sheriffs follow me off the highway and almost to my house. There was so many times where out of the blue I would look in my mirror (which I check constantly) and suddenly there would be a sheriff or CHP on my tail. I'm telling you , these guys are pretty good at that. It was like they were always just waiting for an excuse to pull me over.

Now I drive a jeep cherokee and have no problems at all. I barely even see a cop now. I find it very interesting actually. Frustrating as well, as part of the whole reason of owning a sports car is going fast damnit, and I never could! HA

Funny thing about all this, is that I never once got pulled over in the Z.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by PlausibleDeniability

Maybe they put a GPS unit on the underside? Sounds suspicious to me, I would have inquired as to their reasons for surveying my car and property and if I found a unit I would have sued them all personally not just the police station.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
It's a black 2006 Toyota Sequoia SUV for me, ticketless so far. Before that it was a black Suburban for 5 yrs....no tickets.

On the other hand my wife and her 2006 white Altima....3 tickets so far...one for going 92 in a 65...the CHP tailed her for like 5 minutes on I-15...she was getting pissed that the guy was tailing her (it was night)...then the lights came on...

I still laugh about that one..

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
As I look at the list I see what I see every day and that seems to be some people just ignore the law. My brother in law is a cop and laughs every time he pulls over somebody in a nice care they tell him they know the sherrif or somebody. He tells them "So do I we should all get together for lunch someday !" He says it's usually the rich and the poor who are the worst drivers. The rich think they can buy their way out and the poor think your picking on them.

mikell

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
My car was not on the list but I can tell you it is a cop target.

Of course I think my car is more fun than any of those listed. Even if you are not driving over the speed limit they will watch you from the time you come into sight until after you leave their sight. Sometimes I think they are going to break their neck looking.

Raist

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Its not so much those cars are targeted by cops. It's the fact that people who drive those cars tend to drive like idiots. Not saying everybody who owns one drives like that, but its only takes a few jerks to ruin it for everyone.

To the guys with the Evo and 300zxTT : What do you expect? You drive a car that is known to be used in the street racing scene. Of course they are going to watch you like a hawk.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
My cousin, who is a mason, states that if you get pulled over you are suppose to say 'Is there no rest for the widows son.' He states it will get you out of a ticket.

I abhor sexism however, I will conceed being a cute female has it's benefits. Three times over my life and three times I got off without even a warning. ::tries to find some real wood; knocks on some veneer instead-ooo pencil!:: Once I was doing 55 in a 35 which you could also get reckless driving. I live in the racing capitol of the world, it's our birthrite to speed.

Naw, I'm older now and rarely speed. Ironically, when I do....seems like I have some old school Metallica bangin in the car. Go figure.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I'm looking through that list to try find connections between the car and the personality who would buy such a vehicle and how they would drive.

My stepfather, for instance, owns a Hummer, drives like a bat out of hell, has massive 'rich man' ego issues, and gets pulled over on a weekly basis. Then we see the Mercedes, scions, and little sports coups. They probably zip around all over the place. So it's possible the cars on that list are owned by zippy teenagers, upper middle class/wealthy, and others. In other words, those who are not terribly worried about the laws and might have authority issues.

On the other hand, the second list of Buicks and Oldsmobiles (often driven by older people) and SUV's (often driven by parents with children in tow) would lead me to believe the owners of those cars would be safer and slower.

Case in point: My first car as a teenager was a fire red sports coup, I drove irresponsibly, sped everywhere, and was pulled over frequently. Now, I drive a white Ford Expedition, have my little son in the back, watch every little thing on the road, never exceed the speed limit, deny the ego for safety purposes, and haven't been pulled over or ticketed once. So was it the car or the way I was handing myself?

To me it is the way one handles themselves. If you have a beat up Buick and drive it like a bat out of hell, odds are you will be pulled over and ticketed. If you drive a fire engine red Scion and drive like a grandmother, you'll most likely have little trouble.

Sorry to be so stereotypical but there are certain personality types that drive certain cars quite often.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I drive a full size Chevy van, and never get pulled over, of course I do obey the traffic laws. I see a lot of little cars pulled over on the road. If people would stop taking on their cell phone while driving, we would have less accidents, in my State they are making this practice illegal. It helps if you let the local cops know that you know your Constitution, and they they work for you...but this doesn't stop the State boys. Fight all tickets, and assert your rights at all times. do not let police search your car without a warrant, and do not let them question your passengers. Know the law, or be a victim of it.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
You know my car isn't on that list but when I take it out the cops watch me like a hawk...

[edit on 9-3-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Interesting point. And thinking about my own history it makes sense in some way... When I drove a high performance SUV (Mazda) I didn't get a single ticket... Then I drove a cabriolet with fewer horses under the bonnet than the prior car, and I got 3 speeding tickets... Now I'm driving a "high-performance-soccer-mom-car" and to date no tickets...

Now during this time my driving style didn't change once. I'm kinda heavy on the accelerator...

Still fast SUV and mini-van: No tickets. Slow sports car: 3 Tickets... Hmmm.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Well, heres a picture of my rattletrap, and what the police see when they follow me(minus the stickies on my license plate!!)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c88c5776092b.jpg[/atsimg]

I actually have gotten two tickets in this thing, both on the same road a yr apart, a speed trap(dummy me forgot!) by the school. I was targeted, because I was speeding 30+ on a 25 rd that should have been 35. That was in a small town.

Here in Louisville, not once has anyone other than the lady who fired me target my car. I have been followed by, ,passed, and been passed by police all the time here, its a big city, and not even a glance.

I do happen to drive the speed limit most of the time now that I am older, or in town, or in known speed traps, I learned my lesson!

As to police targets, RED CARS. I was driving my sisters red nissan to the shop when I was 17. A state police decided to pull me over. I KNEW I was not speeding, because one, I saw the posted, and two my momma was following me.

The police officer did NOT know my momma was following me, a blonde teen in a red car. I got out and was YELLING at him defending my rights when mom pulled up! He did not issue a ticket, but it reinforced my dad's theory that RED cars (esp with cute young blondes in it) were major targets (it taught me too the police were major jerks, as well).

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Hehehe. Yelling at a cop is always a good idea.

Manners get you everywhere.

I think the list has more to do w/ what kind of person is driving the vehicle. Those in the targeted list are probably more likely to drive fast, erratically or just be obnoxious persons probably. Grannies and whatnot are more likely to drive the bottom list.

Look out Sgt Joe, here comes Myrtle in her Park Avenue. Best keep on her. ehheheheh

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

That's interesting. I keep getting a mental image of the children's movie Cars and all the little personalities associated with each style.

A possible compromise, maybe it's a little of both? Sometimes it's the personality and driving style of the motorist, other times it is the stereotype that goes along with a certain brand and color.

On a side note, here is another case in point to back up what I mentioned before. The scion is on the list of most ticketed vehicles three times. Since I never heard of them before, I looked on Wiki and at the very top of the article it reads:

Scion's long-term goal is to appeal to Generation Y consumers. Scion grew from Toyota Project Genesis, a failed effort to bring younger buyers to the Toyota marque in the United States.

en.wikipedia.org...(automobile)

Just going from my own experience, history, observation (and of course some statistics), teenagers are generally the worst drivers of them all. It didn't surprise me too much to see that the most ticketed vehicles are products that are targeted to Generation Y.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join