It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mind Blowing Quantum Physics

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Alright guys, think of it this way.

You're a cartoon (2D). everything you know of exists to your left or right, up or down. There is no 'behind' there is no 'in front'. Then, you realize you're in a 3D world. you still can't perceive 'behind' or 'in front' because you're only built to perceive 2D. It's still there, but you just can't see it.

Get it?

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
for those of you who are curious, Dr. Quantum can be found by watching: What the Bleep?: Down The Rabbit Hole

...p.s. use of mind altering substances is reccomended (and also a tissue for when your brain melts out of your ear)

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
A pilot friend of mine who has a degree in upper atmospheric physics jokes that his logical self knows how and aerofoil works to produce lift, but in his heart he just doesn't quite believe it. It feels like magic.

My major was in mathematics and I'm afraid I feel the same way about String Theory. It works good and all, there may even be some testable hypotheses, but there is this nagging doubt in the back of my mind that it is all BS.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
String theory's testable nature is very *very* limited. It works great on paper, and it's predictions only apply on paper, so far.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
hey everyone can someone please say what all those vids mean in simple terms because my internet is really dodgy at the moment and its been like that for 2 days haha
thanks

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by cancerian42
Ok, that 2 dimensional thing/consciousness-how does it exist? What is it? And why can it only perceive height and width if it is simultaneously in the 3rd dimension. What exists outside of matter and energy? For this dimension that is all there is and both depend on each other to exist. I am having a hard time imagining there is anything outside of matter and energy.

Well it's perspective. All that you see of these dimensions is what makes up your current perspective. They still existed in the 3rd dimension and beyond, it's just their perspective and perception of the universe which is in 2d. Just as ours is in 3d. When it shows them in 2d in the movie, it's just a representation of the 2d perspective.

For example, when you look at the light spectrum, using instruments we realize there are frequencies of light that we can not see. Our perspective only contains a portion of the light frequencies. Likewise the same thing with sounds, we only register a certain range of frequencies. But like a dog can hear frequencies we can't.

So these dimensions are just things that are beyond our perception. Kind of like how the 2d person has no idea of a direction of "up". However, I can show you how to imagine in 4d partially using time.

Ok, imagine you are going to walk down a straight line. Now, imagine you are in each of those places all at once. This line is a called a time line. Where in the time line perspective rather than just looking at your current position, you would be in all those positions.

So what you are doing when you do that is you are taking a partial view of 4d. You can't see the "past" right now, but you remember it and so even though you can only see in 3d, you can perceive partial 4d. Of course, true to geometry this single line is not what 4d actually is in total, because it also represents partial other "time lines" which are next or on "top" of it.

Also, check out sacred geometry if you want to understand how these things build on each other. In my user pic, the main circle is the flower of life, and in it you can find the geometric shapes of all the dimensions, up to the shadow of 4d, because it is a 2d image. You can find all religious symbols as well.

Hope that makes sense. It's not so much about what dimension you are in, but what dimensions you perceive. I love talking about this subject, so ask away. Honestly, I do not so much see these things as what the universe is, but rather these things are the constructs of our perception. But then we turn to more of a philosophical/spiritual discussion and would probably be another topic.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

One thing I don't get about the 2nd dimension-what is it made of? It can't be material since matter is 3d. Even a picture on a piece of paper isn't really 2d since it actually does have depth (the depth of the thickness of the paper and the medium of which the picture was created on top of the paper).

Thoughts. Ideas. Opinions. Words. (They're not really there, but you can see and understand this sentence can't you).

Those pretty two dimensional things, exist only as interpretations (symbological gates), our mind then forces us to recreate those two dimensional things into our reality.

It all grows outwards you see (like an inside-out sphere).

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia

Ok, that 2 dimensional thing/consciousness-how does it exist? What is it? And why can it only perceive height and width if it is simultaneously in the 3rd dimension. What exists outside of matter and energy? For this dimension that is all there is and both depend on each other to exist. I am having a hard time imagining there is anything outside of matter and energy.

For example, when you look at the light spectrum, using instruments we realize there are frequencies of light that we can not see. Our perspective only contains a portion of the light frequencies. Likewise the same thing with sounds, we only register a certain range of frequencies. But like a dog can hear frequencies we can't.

www.silvent.com... (explains in a nutshell what sound 'is').

www.imlcorp.com...
(VERY interesting site)

"Bombarding a person with audio that is in the range of 400 – 5000 Hz, above 110dB continuously for long periods, might cause some anxiety and possibly even a slightly faster heart beat, depending on the individual bombarded. It can also bring on headaches for a lot of people."

--

If anybody is interested here is a good link describing what 'sound' actually is. I think it's a fascinating subject and is a dimension of magic, art and science wholly unexplored in its complexity and pattern (or if i dare to push an opinion on to you all, i believe we once had 'access' to abilites largely forgotten to us as a species that operated prinicipally on sounds and acoustics (aswell as note, pitch, tone, volume etc).

I'm a student of sound and acoustics and frequency (nearly on my fourth year of study). Have been fascinated by the science of sound for as long as i can remember.

Did you know the Tiger uses sound as a weapon?
It's roar can hit sub-sonic levels that actually stun the prey (causing shock and paralysis), enabling the Tiger to catch its prey with little or no effort?

Why? How?

Simple, it manipulates the air between itself and the prey. Anyway, I digress...

My point being, the human hearing range is somewhere between 20 Hz and 20,000 Hz for a healthy young human.

There are frequencies which can be manipulated for better or for worse.

If anybody wants to talk more about the subject then send me a u2u.

(EDIT TO ADD: Lower frequencies affect the body*. Higher frequencies affect the mind. At least that is what i speculate.)

EDIT TO FURTHER ADD: I suppose the whole point of my rant, was to suggest that there may be NOTES that affect us just out of our audio range. Just because we can't hear them, doesn't mean they're not there. Now consider the fact that tone and notation and pattern can affect your mood.

WHAT IF there is a hidden sound that affects all of us?

WHAT IF we are all subconsciously aware of this, and use it as our 'sixth sense' (a miniscule detection of the changes of our vibrational state - now all that talk of aura's may just be a change in our frequency? But i don't wanna get bogged down with pseudo-science, but at least consider what i have to say as possibility of an untapped / forgotten science / magic.

[edit on 7-2-2009 by mr-lizard]

[edit on 7-2-2009 by mr-lizard]

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I want what you're smoking, because it has GOT to be some fantastic stuff.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SASAlbertino
So i take it no one can tell me the reason why quantum physics was created?

Actually Quantum Physics started with Max Plancks theories of Black Body radiation.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by theresult

If you studied maths then how have you come to the conclusion there is no 2D. Oh wait I see you contradict your self in the very next line by speaking of a circle and line which are 2 dimentional objects.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I remember watching that thing about the split-experiment months ago. I think it was actually 2 years ago...

I remember thinking that, if we assume the duality principals are true, and that things become matter when observed and waves when not observed, then... In general theory, that would mean if I am sitting with my back against the rest of my room (as I am atm), everything behind me would be one big giant chaotic cluster of interference and waves.

But that just didn't feel right... So I came up with a theory that; Even though I don't observe the things behind me... Light is reflected on the surfaces infront of me, bouncing my awareness behind me. That could explain why this sounds so ridiculous to some, because they feel that things around them are normal. I admire how the only way we will ever get to somewhat understand quantum mechanics, is through a paper and a pen, and not through our own eyes.

On the topic of dimensions... If you take a picture of someone and look at it... You know the general picture is 2-dimensional, but the context of the picture are 3-dimensional, thus creating an illusion.

[edit on 8-2-2009 by Volatile]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Thanks for posting, this was really great layman's video. I don't think I've seen such a straight forward explanation of dimensions higher than the 4th before, despite reading about them many times.

What struck me is how when we discuss time travel, we differentiate between time travel and parallel dimensions.

With "classical" time travel, we run into causality problems because as the 2nd video in the OP explains, we would be bound by travelling in the cross-section of the 4th dimension, when travelling in the 5th. Where as parallel universe travelling would be going up a level and using the 6th dimension to traverse the 5th (I think
)

Either way, I think sci-fi writers the world over should watch this simple video, and no longer need they tie themselves up in causality knots, all they need do is step up a dimension to overcome them (writers of LOST take note please!)

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by VelvetSplash

I'm sure that many Sci-Fi writers are aware of this, but it's the Classical Causality Paradox that makes for such good stories. Back to the Future was awesome!

A movie that explores the parallel aspect of reality is "The One" with Jet Li and it sucks.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
Well it's perspective. All that you see of these dimensions is what makes up your current perspective. They still existed in the 3rd dimension and beyond, it's just their perspective and perception of the universe which is in 2d. Just as ours is in 3d. When it shows them in 2d in the movie, it's just a representation of the 2d perspective.

How can something perceive 2d? I'll ask again what is there besides matter and energy? These things are 3d, we know nothing besides.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   

How can something perceive 2d? I'll ask again what is there besides matter and energy? These things are 3d, we know nothing besides.

Matter and energy exist in all known dimensions, as do we. We just don't perceive all of the dimensions. Or maybe we do, but don't realize it. Who knows.

BTW, you perceive 2D when you read a book, or look at a painting.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellish-D

matter itself is not 2d though. How can you say such a dimension is reality with no basis?

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

matter itself is not 2d though. How can you say such a dimension is reality with no basis?

What?

I don't understand the question, please rephrase it.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   

everything we know of is matter or energy. Those are 3d. A painting, you can say looks 2d, but it is still material 3d. What do we have to base the idea of there being a 2nd dimension on, if all we know is 3d? It is a concept that has no basis in reality. All matter has 3 dimensions...what could possibly have only 2?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join