It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there Allies in Survival, or merely a negative number on resorces?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I have no stockpile of food or water, no weapons, no training to survive in wilderness, if I had no electricity I wouldn't be able to open what cans of food I have and couldn't keep my perishable food from spoiling. Basically, I'm one of the first people to go in a SHTF scenario.. I'm going to join the marines next month so they can give me this training as well as combat skill. Trust me, I don't wanna get rid of my freedom(scoff) but when the economy is in a recession and all you have is a GED, you need all the help you can get.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is in a real scenario, people have discussed that the average Joe will turn into a selfish beast should his comforts be taken from him. Say I live by a 4H club: would it be dickish (even in survival of fittest) for me to go in there and take the rabbits and guinea pigs for food and maybe their food as firefuel or to keep my own smalll rodent population? What if I went to a farm and raided the hen house? I'm taking from others without thinking about if they have enough or if they have kids or sick people.

Do you think you'll be able to see it getting bad or will it come out of nowhere? If I'm in a city/town, what do you think my chances are to rannsack a gun/survival/Army surplus store and not get shot?

I would prefer to keep a small band of co-ordinated indiviuals covering a large area(say 5sq miles for uno person) but there's bound to be at least 20-40% of the population left in a mass attack/biological outbreak. So I start to organize whats left of the people or keep to my own small taskforce gameplan? I don't know if all I could ask is if they have a doctor or weapons or food and then leave if they didn't. These people ARE people. Damn Ethics straight to the Sulphorous Abyss!!!

What about raiding a hospital? Or at least squatting it, offering protection in exchange for shelter and medical care. They would have generators of sme sort, probably gas. Which leads me to the next part: siphoning gas. I have no qualms at all about roaming the cityscape getting fuel. You couldn't place value on that item in an apocalyptic scenario.(unless you had solar powered or a wind farm) If there was no electricity, can gas pumps get gas out of the ground at gas stations?

I'm sure there's answers to parts of this posts, but I'm n00b and also lazy.

first post btw.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

[

I'm sure there's answers to parts of this posts, but I'm n00b and also lazy.

first post btw.

Thats neatly sums up your approach, IE try and get someone else to do the research for you, someone else to teach you,

Good luck cos I am not carrying you, and I think you will get a helluva wakeup call when you join the forces.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Yeah, I know. I was asking more for opinions, not a ride, thanks though.

I know, I'm dreading the Marines, but better to be safe than sorry. I think I'm diligent and enough of an individual to survive the brainwashing. I hope.

new topics

join