It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats ticking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
has anyone out there ever found that random objects such as ash trays or solid wood furniture can start ticking like they are clocks . I do not understand this odd and weird phenomena , but i have a friend who it has been ocurring around for most of his life . One day in his flat we managed to tape a glass ash tray ticking on a old cassette recorder and hear it played back , one odd note is that it will never start when his girl friend is about and she thinks his a bit nuts when he mentions it ,yet it will for me

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
yup!
I have a welsh dresser in my kitchen that always ticks!!
Sometimes It'll stop when someone asks "what's that ticking"?

So...I'd love to know what makes it do that.....
I have spent ages looking at it when its ticking to see where it is coming from......of course I've never found out!

Anyone any ideas what it is??

maybe this thread needs to be in " Paranormal"

[edit on 6-2-2009 by zerozero00]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by crowkey

It must be expansion and contraction based on temperature.
Cough 2 lines cough cough.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by crowkey

Thats bizzare, I dont think ive ever really heard of that.

When you say it ticks like a clock, do you mean that it ticks in regular one second intervals? How loud is it?

The walls in my apartment sometimes make repeated clicking noises... Its always after someone takes a shower or bath. I think its the sound of the pipes expanding or contracting after heating up then cooling down.

That is one thing I can think of although the sound is always very noticably coming from the pipes in the walls.

I suppose its possible that your wood furniture, is expanding and contracting and the wood is rubbing together to make that noise, but that wouldnt make since for a glass ashtray.

You know I just thought of something else, Every few nights, the TV in my bedroom will let out this big pop noise. It sounds like the plastic casing wasnt on quite right and finally, suddenly popped into place. But it does it every few nights and it is quite noisy. it startles me awake.

all in all, im not sure what would cause a steady ticking noise from seeming inanimate objects.

It is quite intersting. I hope to hear more about this.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

My experience it ticks in sequence like a clock from anything from a few minutes to half hour or until I stop noticing!

And Its definitely a tick from the Welsh dresser as I've gotten very frustrated trying to find the cause!

the ticking never misses a beat...just like a clock!

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerozero00

My experience it ticks in sequence like a clock from anything from a few minutes to half hour or until I stop noticing!

And Its definitely a tick from the Welsh dresser as I've gotten very frustrated trying to find the cause!

the ticking never misses a beat...just like a clock!

Wow, how bizzare, I dont think I have heard of that happening. Is there ever a specific feeling in the room when it happens?

In other words does it happen more when you're sad, happy, angry? Or does it just seem to be random?

If it was happening to me I would drive myself crazy trying to find the source too.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

i dont think this is caused by stuff expanding and contracting,i know what you mean by the tv case popping mine often does this late at night. My friend says he can sometimes feel a change in the atmosphere, and its some thing like a invisible eletric current buzzes about the room and lands on some thing,which then starts ticking

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Things like cars tick from thermal expansion and contraction.

Other things tick because they are actually cartoon time bombs.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by crowkey

i dont think this is caused by stuff expanding and contracting,i know what you mean by the tv case popping mine often does this late at night. My friend says he can sometimes feel a change in the atmosphere, and its some thing like a invisible eletric current buzzes about the room and lands on some thing,which then starts ticking

Yeah I agree, it doesnt sound like expanding and contracting material to me either. Im just trying to brainstorm about all possibilities no matter how unlikely.

So he can feel a change in the atmoshphere? Thats interesting.

My mom called me up once, from her place kind of freaked out,and she wanted me to come over. She told me that she was up getting ready for the day, and as she walked into her living room she felt, what she described as a sort of electrical/staticy feeling move through her and then the TV turned itself on.

It freaked her out. My best guess there was some type of weird electrical surge. Ive heard of solar storms messing with electrical stuff like that.

But I digress.

I wonder if mabye its some kind of electrical buildup (for lack of a better term) and the the ticking is some kind of static discharge. You know the noise it makes when you get shocked by static electricity. mabye its some how some kind of discharge.... I dont know, im not an electrical kind of guy.

Does your friend live near any of those high voltage power lines? The ones like in the picture here?

Mabye thats it, some kind of odd electrical build up and when it the charge is strong enough it some how discharges and thats the sound you are hearing?

[edit on 6-2-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

new topics

top topics

join