It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will We Clone a Dinosaur?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Wow click link on bottom to read whole article ... definitely interesting

It is only when you ask the question the third time that you begin to see a glimpse of an affirmative answer. Start with three premises. First, dinosaurs did not die out; indeed there are roughly twice as many species of their descendants still here on Earth as there are mammals, but we call them birds. Second, dna is turning out to be a great deal more "conserved" than anybody ever imagined. So-called Hox genes that lay down the body plan in an embryo are so similar in people and fruit flies that they can be used interchangeably, yet the last common ancestor of people and fruit flies lived about 600 million years ago.

Third, and most exciting, geneticists are finding many "pseudogenes" in human and animal dna „ copies of old, discarded genes. It's a bit like finding the manual for a typewriter bound into the back of the manual for your latest word-processing software. There may be a lot of interesting obsolete instructions hidden in our genes.

Put these three premises together and the implication is clear: the dino genes are still out there. So throw your mind forward a few decades, and try out the following screenplay. A bunch of bioinformatics nerds in Silicon Valley, looking for an eye-catching project to showcase the latest ipo, decide to try to recreate the genome of a dinosaur.

Full Article Here

I see this guy's reasoning and i believe it's very possible within at least 100 years or so ... what do you think?

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

I think it's probably something that will happen once the technology is in place. Why not?

It might be a mistake or it might not....but it's cool to think about!

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by griffinrl

Agreed- bring it on.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I guess on the other side too that it might also create some kind(s) of disease or viruses or something of that sort. What if dinosaurs carry some sort of pathogen or something that might get out and kill us all? Heck I'm no biologist so what do I know?

Who knows? Maybe just having a dinosaur look at you might be deadly!

[edit on 6-2-2009 by griffinrl]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Personally I don’t like the idea of cloning full stop I think that if an animal has died out there is a reason for that and we shouldn’t be messing with that nature is more powerful than us and the simple fact that it died out should be a sign that it wasn’t suited to living here anymore HELLO that’s why it died out in the first place move on even if it died out from a meteor impact its gone and shouldn’t be brought back who knows what would happen to our eco system

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by griffinrl
reply to post by baseball101

I think it's probably something that will happen once the technology is in place. Why not?

It might be a mistake or it might not....but it's cool to think about!

it will Definately happen

and its definately a mistake

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Look at my avatar....cloning that would definately be a mistake

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
If it hasn't happened already i'm sure it will but would dinosaurs survive todays climate??
It's a good idea but if it worked it would have to be controlled..we're living in exciting times

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I don't think that it's a matter of "if" but rather a matter of "when".

I think that you'll see attempts make to clone a woolly mammoth in the near future. I believe that they have the DNA from a woolly mammoth that was found frozen.

I'm not sure where they will get the DNA from other dinosaurs but, I think that it will happen.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
What would be the purpose of bringing them back? So we can hop in a jeep on a rail and look at them in captivity? Dinosaurs were meant to be free and wild not caged and manipulated. I don't like the idea at all.

Bring them back on mars, not earth.

[edit on 2/6/2009 by Solarskye]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
What good can come from cloning dino?
This seems to be simply a matter of curiosity.
I think these scientists could put their energies to something useful.

Cloning for the sake of cloning is useless as long as existing species of plants and animals can do their own reproducing.

I don't think I have ever read anything that explained what they hoped to get out of this, and so far I have seen nothing that impresses me as worth the efforts.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
It is possible we will see dinosaurs but most likely in the near future it will be 'Pleistocene Park'.

Here is the link to the frozen mammoth DNA:

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
That link you posted was dated late 2005 so i went looking for a more upto date one

basesciences.com...

this one is from November 2008 so its not too old really

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
well if we do it will test drive a bunch of theories about dinosaurs

Like the was way more oxygen in the atmosphere when the dinosaurs lived ,and that's why they grew so big

also that plant eating dinosaurs,couldn't eat angiosperm plants,

I dunno it seems like the world has changed to much to support dinosaur life ,but it's worth a try

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by invisiblewoman

Maybe they were actually not so big?

and that the fossilisation process actullay makes the bones bigger. as they turn into rock, and are replaced by minerals....

back to subject. i dont think second guessing what genes they had is a great idea..

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

I think cloning here might be a misused terminology ,I know there is an ongoing attempt to reverse engineer a chicken into a dinosaur

I'm imagining tons of mad scientist types in sadistic laboratories full of jars of things ,this is so close Igor ,soon our master plan to will be realized MUAHAHAHAHA

Honestly I've always wanted a dinosaur

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
if we were to clone a dinosaur, wouldn't the lower levels of oxygen cause them to be smaller in size? Probably be kinda creepy to see mini t Rexs running around with their pathetic looking arms, I bet they would twiddle their fingers a lot

new topics

top topics

join