It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Octuplet Mom Defends Her ‘Unconventional’ Choices

page: 1/
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Source

“That was always a dream of mine, to have a large family, a huge family, and I just longed for certain connections and attachments with another person that I really lacked, I believe, growing up,” she replied.

“I went through about seven years of trying, through artificial insemination, through medication. And all of which was unsuccessful. And then the first IVF procedure from that facility — it was successful. And then I just kept going in.”

She just kept going in???

Like a lot of others, I am worried about all 14 of these children. This is just not a good situation for them or the mother or the extended family.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Well supposedly she told people that she was going to have Oprah and other big talk shows make her a star when she goes and tell her story.

I am still speechless when it comes on how this woman got away with what she did and with the help of the medical institution that help her.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

It is a farce. It will be disgusting if she panders her way into the limelight. Talk show hosts, baby companies, television should not factor into the lives of this woman and her unfortunate children.

I honestly think this woman has some serious mental problems.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I would still like to know how she paid for it. Even with a decent job it's very expensive. My best friend and her husband went through it twice (successfully) but she said it was cost prohibitive to try anymore. Her husband makes a 6 figure salary too.

From what I've heard, she doesn't work, draws disability and lives with her parents. How is she going to provide for 14 children, with even the best of jobs, as a single parent?

I think it's also unfair that she has placed this sort of burden on her parents. Grandparents don't get to be grandparents anymore. They have to start all over raising a new family. I feel sorry for them but maybe my pity is misplaced. I haven't heard much of their opinion on the matter.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Either mental problems or she cunningly planned this to profit from the children, she knew that this will bring the media attention to her.

In a nation like ours that people are addicted to talk shows and outrageous news she would fit nicely.

Even write a book about her "birth experiences and ordeals"

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by soldiermom

Well somewhere in the news is a hint that she "got actually pay to do it or per procedure" that brings the medical institution into question.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by soldiermom

From what I read, this scam artist made $165,000 in disability, thus far.
That is probably how she paid for it.

Edit: found link...

Among other things, they reveal that Suleman collected more than $165,000 in disability payments between 2002 and 2008 for the work injury, which she said left her in near-constant pain and helped end her marriage.

During a hearing on her case in December 2001, Suleman said pregnancy aggravated her back condition. She said she spent most of the day in bed and was unable to care for her first child, according to a report by workers' compensation judge Jerome Bulavsky.

After examining her in August, Dr. Steven Nagelberg attributed 90 percent of her condition to the work incident and 10 percent to her pregnancy.

news.yahoo.com...

So, let me get this straight - she can not work and draws disability for physical issues (near constant pain) - yet she can carry around 8 babies inside of her and go thru labor? WTF?

I have one child and was on bed rest for 3 months and I had no dissabilities!

She is a scam artist and an attention *&%$ IMO.

[edit on 2/6/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   

“I know I'll be able to afford them when I'm done with my schooling,” the 33-year-old single mom replied. Calm, poised and articulate in the glare of the media spotlight, Suleman added: “If I was just sitting down watching TV and not being as determined as I am to succeed and provide a better future for my children, I believe that would be considered, to a certain degree, selfish.”

Curry reported that although Suleman has received disability payments from the State of California, she said she refuses to accept welfare payments. Suleman and her children live with her mother, Angela Suleman.

This comes from the source article, as well.

How can she not see herself as selfish? Where are these kids going to be when she's off at school?

Maybe she should have been able to afford them before she got implanted with them.

[edit on 2/6/2009 by skeptic1]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Either that skeptic1 or she was already planning all the money she will get from her new found celebrity status and all the media attention.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I was just watching the short clip of the interview with Ann Curry. Any psychologist or psychiatrist would be able to tell even from that short clip that Nadya Suleman is delusional. She speaks about illogical thoughts as if they are totally rational. She speaks about having the means to look after her 14 kids adequately "once she finishes her Masters degree" and becomes a counselor. She says she is going back to college in the fall because she will have a scholarship that will pay for her studies and life and they have childcare facilities at the college she will utilize. YES she expects her college to provide childcare for HER 14 kids so she can study.

If any psych out there can give me a Dx saying she is operating at full mental capacity I would suggest he/she goes to a real college to get trained.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

For those who didn't see the interview here is a link. I would like others to tell me what they think.

[edit on 6-2-2009 by Mynaeris]

link   
She also seems to be quite the liar....or else mental and unable to give correct information:

Details of the documents were reported the same day that NBC released excerpts of Suleman's first interview since giving birth.

In the interview, Suleman called her childhood as an only child "pretty dysfunctional."

In the state documents, however, doctors quoted her as indicating she had a happy childhood. She told them she was an above-average student at Nogales High School in La Puente, where she enjoyed being a cheerleader, had many friends and stayed out of trouble. She said both her parents were loving and supportive.

The woman clearly has issues and her children will suffer for it.

link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

In other words she expect everybody around to provide for her children because in America everything is possible.

Nothing better than the ole American dream.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Not to copy every msm talking head out there (they just love this story) but it is shocking to see the irresponsibility this woman thrives on. The real question is not why she did it (I'm beginning to think she really is mentally ill to some degree) it is how on earth did this clinic justify their actions? Eight embryos? Really? Even better, it does bring up a very interesting question regarding medical ethics-Does a woman with a different financial situation or lifestyle choice than the average IVF couple get different treatment? Is that discrimination? Do we treat potential IVF patients like adoptee-parents? Is that fair if the children haven't even been born yet? I'm quite sure insurance of any kind doesn't cover IVF so if someone is self-paying for this expensive treatment does the medical staff "cut-in" if they see something awry? Or should they just take the payment for their services and keep mum.....

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Note her delusional thoughtt processes that she mouths so really comfortably - like it's all so obvious. As Marg posted - she has roles all worked out for everybody in how they will assist her in attaining this great dream - friends , family college everybody will come out and help her raise her kids. She is acting like the queen bee who lays the eggs for the bee colony.

Note another delusion of hers - she says she had all of these frozen embryos implanted because they are her babies!

Yes another delusional mention - she expects the sperm donor to be there for her 14 children.

Okay who wants to say "NUTS" first!

[edit on 6-2-2009 by Mynaeris]

link   
reply to post by awake_awoke

That is one question we will probably never get the answer to. If it was a US clinic, they would probably get put out of business and the doctor would have his license revoked due to ethical issues. So, if it happened in the US, we'll probably never know.

We might find out how she (or some third party) paid for the IVF....that could open a whole other can of worms.

link   
If I remember correctly, her dad is in Iraq as a private contractor (translator). Her mom has told her that she will be leaving the family, and the story that she is telling on television, is more than a farce. What irks me is that she was most likely paid a decent sum of money to do the interview. I hate how the media rewards those who don't take responsibility.

Octuplets

Edit: I just wanted to answer the post above me. The PR spokesperson for the mother has stated that the in vitro occurred in the U.S.

[edit on 6-2-2009 by IKnowNothing]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

I thought that the way things stand now, that the donor had no responsibility for the child. Aren't donors suppose to be anonymous?

If this was someone she knows, might be a different story. But, then again, if the man was willing to donate sperm to get her pregnant, why didn't the two of them just go about this the "natural way"?

Bunch of crazy, delusional people.....

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by IKnowNothing

In the source article, NBC claims that they didn't pay for the interview.

Don't know if that's the truth, but that's what they claim.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Her mother and father had already lost everything - her and her parents and 6 kids were living ina 1550 square foot home together. Her mother had warned her she had to stop having children as they were the ones paying for her "addiction". What did she do - she went to rescue her remaining 6 embryos and had them implanted and ONLY then informed her parents that she had done it. As her mother said recently when Nadya comes home she is leaving the house.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join