It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia plans to start up Iran nuclear plant in 2009

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
To the OP - do you actually have any understanding about nuclear reactor design?

i guess not from your comments - the Iranian reactor is an LPW type - light pressurised water and unlike the pool reactor at dimona (israel) is totally not suitable for anything other than what its deigned for - generating electricity

the entire fuel cycle within an LPW is completely wrong for reproccessing.

enriching uranium

the ore , as dug out of the ground cannot be used for anything than looking pretty and making a dosimeter go click - it needs to be purifeid to 5% beofre it can be used as fuel - and thats what iran are doing , and are allowed to as a signatory of the NPT

Israel have not signed the NPT and directy threatened to KILL the IAEA when they tried to inspect the reactor at Dimona , after finding that its leaking.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
There is reality, and then there is perception that some try to pass off for reality.

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
Ever wonder why Iran's nuclear weapons program was increasing at an exponential rate?

If it was increasing at an "exponential" rate Iran would have already had nuclear power five years ago. In reality Iran's nuclear program has seen countless obstacles and delays and has progressed very slowly.

Ever wonder how they got their nuclear stockpile of centrifuges?

No thats common knowledge. Even wonder how Pakistan got nuclear technology?

Now you know why. To the Russian apologists, I ask what you have to say for yourselves now.

I say "make hay while the sun shines". If Iran is paying Russia good money to develop nuclear powerplants, then Russia should take this opportunity to make some money.

Is this more capitalism?

Lets see - selling technology to other nations? Yep thats capitalism.

Why would you knowingly support the other people just because they don't like the the west or our government?

Why would you knowingly support the other people just because they don't like Russia, or Iran, or China?

These people are supporting madmen like Ahmajenidad.

And who did many Americans support a short while ago? Bush and Team?

The Russian government has gone mad. Russia can no longer be trusted.

Huh? Because they are selling technology to a sovereign nation? Oh God no - quick put on a tinfoil hat and hide in the basement.

They don't want us to be able to prevent Ahmejanidad from firing a missile into Western Europe, Israel, or to preven them from firing missiles into Eastern Europe.

Why in God's good name would Iran fire missiles at Europe or Israel thereby insuring its own demise from much more capable counterstrikes. Have you no idea how Mutually Assured Destruction works? Never mind the fact that Iran doesn't even have ICBMs capable of delivering a nuke to Israel or Europe.

Seriously what is this psychotic obsession some people have with Iran? Is it something in water, or does the Western media completely brainwash the sheep?

Russia is a supporter of terrorist regimes like Iran, which in turn, supports other insurgents in Iraq and other places.

Iran's government is not a terrorist group, and is not regognized as such by any nation in the world, including the US.

I believe we can now say Russia is a supporter of terrorism.

I believe we can say that US is a supporter of terrorism, because in the 80's it was helping Bin Laden and the Taliban in Afghanistan. I also believe (or rather know) that you have no clue what you are talking about.

I don't think they are foolish enough to not think that Iran wouldn't try to create a nuclear weapon, otherwise, in my opinion they are too trusting.

If Iran wants a nuclear weapon, who the hell is the US to tell it that it can't have one? Iran is a sovereign entity, as is Russia.

It's sad what the rest of the world has come to just because they don't like the Western Democracies, or say, our government.

Oh boohoo, poor US. Hold up while I take out this tiny tiny violin.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Everyone before me has broken it down beautifully.

Just because we don't know a Nation, don't understand their religion, concepts, people...doesn't make them enemies. If the US has any 'sanctions' on a nation, the good question is always..."why?"

Iran has become the boogeyman that Iraq was after 9/11; the excuse to invade a nation, remove the regime because we didn't like them or their choices. Iranians, unlike many other Nations like the U.S. and their people, after 9/11 they were horrified of what happened and actually felt solidarity with us. Unfortunately, the sympathy was used against many nations and we find ourselves at this crossroad.

I never expected Russia to actually be helping the Iranians, which is a good thing, putting Russian interests in the Middle East makes sure that "Mutually Assured Destruction" is kept in place. With Russia and Iran as partners, the money will be flowing between both Countries and trust me, Russia won't let Israel pull off a bombing run. Iran's officially their golden goose during the economy, or until Oil revenues dry up at least.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by maloy

Are you saying it's okay for governments to sponsor regimes that harbor terrorists?

I thought you people were against us forcing our interests on other people...

Then you go openly and support someone else doing it.

What hypocrisy.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

America sponsor israel dont they and they are terrorists - global ones!

Iran has every right to its own nuclear program and why shouldnt Russia assist them.

I would hate to think what will happen if israel ever decide to go for Iran because Russia has an awful lot of interests there.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
well considering that the US sponsors AND harbors many terrorists its a pretty moot point.
What makes it even MORE moot a point is that the US labels anyone who defends themselves from american aggression as "terrorists" and that makes the label pretty meaningless.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by cropmuncher

You seem to be confused about who the terrorists are...

So you say that it's okay for Russia to help Iran and say they're not terrorists and then you just go on to bash us for your anti-American sentiments...

Please, at least be rational.

Not everyone in the USA are terrorists. We aren't a terrorist nation. Maybe we do influence other government actions but the fact is that a lot of governments do that.

I remember reading somewhere that Britain has lost one soldier every year for like a really long time. So other nations have done similar things to us.

You don't think that other nations influence the actions of other governments too?

And how is Russia any better than we are? They're far worse than us.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Oh come on, dont be silly. We have installed 16 dictators, assassinated 3 heads of state, and supported many despotic regimes and overthrows of democratic governments around the world. Not a single country has done near as much. We are responsible for the deaths of 20-40 million natives, 500000 philipinos, 2-4 million vietnamese, 750000 cambodians, and 500000 laosians, untold japanese, and 1.2 million iraqis, and thats just DIRECTLY. That doesnt count all those murdered by Mogabe, trujillo, papa and baby doc, suharto, pinochet, and many many others who we trained to rape, torture, murder and instill terror into their native populace. Dont even try to compare us to any other "terrorist sponsor"

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

Can we just stay on topic please?

The topic is about RUSSIA. Not the USA.

Please I was hoping that this topic wouldn't turn into an excuse for Anti-American people to bash the USA.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

They don't want us to be able to prevent Ahmejanidad from firing a missile into Western Europe, Israel, or to preven them from firing missiles into Eastern Europe

Iran doesn`t have the range with there IRBM`s to reach anything but the most southern part of europe let alone western europe.

anything else is pure fearmongering

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

I think the fear is that they could be what we feared that Iraq would be like.

Not that they would attack Europe or the USA.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

erm not really - the entire selling of the `missile shield` is quoted as iran can `hit` europe

they can`t.

so going on and on about iranian missiles is a misnomer - why put a missile interceptor in poland - itself 800 miles further north than the maximum range of the iranian missiles.

no , that shield is to thin out a russian icbm launch.

the fearmongering with iran is just as with iraq `OMG they are coming and can kill us quickly`

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I was refering to israel being the terrorists, i am not anti-american, far from it, i like america & its people but they do sponsor israel.

However i do accept that my own country which is the UK also sponsors israel which i didnt include in my post.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by cropmuncher

So I admit that many of the policies of the past that the leaders of my country- the USA has sold false propaganda.

But, rather than justifying the propaganda of the leaders of my nation's past, I will be arguing that Iran could potentially become a threat to the Middle Eastern nations.

As we know because of the Jimmy Carter doctrine (I believe that's what it is) - any threat to the ME- is a threat to us because they assume that we have supremacy over the region and that anything that would alter that would hamper our influence in the region.

I do not approve of Israel's wars, nor, do I approve of the actions taken against Israel by its Arab neighbors.

But I just don't want nuclear weapons to fall into the hands of a madman like Ahmejenidad.

Maybe the plants aren't designed for nuclear energy but that's what they want you to think- that there is no way that he could make a nuclear weapon.

Again, I am not justifying the actions of our leaders in the past, but, I am just fearful of nuclear energy in Ahmejenidad's hands. If it was in someone else's hands other than Ahmejenidad's hands I would be fine with it. But that's why I'm concerned about it.

[edit on 6-2-2009 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Considering that the US was the first to give Iran nuclear technology, I think that having a go at russia is a moot point.

Considering that the US supplies Israel with all sorts of nuclear technology, I submit that the point is not just moot, but invalid and hypocritical.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Did you see the thread about ending the hatred towards Israel?

You should read it.

Anyhow, I read somewhere that we actually gave them false plans to build a nuclear bomb and the hope is that Iran will never find out that we gave them false data or something like that.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   

there is no thread about hatrd towards israel - theres a thread about hate speak but not hatred towards a country - big difference.

in 1967 the USA supplied a nuclear reactor to iran and between them established the Tehran Nuclear Research Center , since 1967 there has been produced enough waste produced to reprocess to make at least 2 plutonium weapons

and guess what

they haven`t touched it. the waste is still locked up and sealed and has been for 30 years.

if iran wanted to truely make a weapon by now - they have the materials and have had them for years - but they haven`t used it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join