It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea Shepherd Protesters Ram Japanese Whalers in Intense Clash

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan
Tch, how can you guys say things like "Whales are not important, life will go on without them"? That's not right at all. If you look at it in a whale's perspective, humans aren't important, and MORE life would go on without us.

From what I see here, they are hunting down whales for a cheap source of food. That's a poor excuse, it's not hard to uhh i dunno, stick to their tradition and fish? Cause thats what the Japanese tradition is, fishing and aquaculture. Whales aren't sentient beings? Thats a pretty loaded statement, they seem to understand the world better than we do, cause they arent killing it like we do.

I like how when a young woman gets put into jail for 3 months for tagging, a cop shoots a man being held down, and an 11 year old child gets tazered.. the typical response is "well they broke the law, they should deal with the consequences". Wheres that logic now? Double standards just because you guys feel these whales are not sentient beings. They are sentient enough for me when 100% of mother whales nurse and care for their young. Do 100% of human mothers do the same?

[edit on 6-2-2009 by LeTan]

ditto -and as i read this i wiki'd sentient
"Sentience is the ability to feel or perceive subjectively. It is an important concept in philosophy, particularly in the philosophy of animal rights and in eastern philosophy, as well as in science fiction and the study of artificial intelligence, although in each of these fields the term is used slightly differently. Advocates of animal rights argue that all animals are sentient in that they can feel pleasure and pain, which entails the presumption of certain moral rights and ought to entail some legal rights. In eastern philosophy, sentience is a metaphysical quality of all things that requires our respect and care. In science fiction, sentience is "personhood": the essential quality that separates humankind from machines or lower animals. Sentience is used in the study of consciousness to describe the ability to have sensations or experiences, known to philosophers as "qualia"."

if you dont believe animals feel pleasure and pain...imo = ignorance. and better yet, if you dont believe whales and other mammals feel pleasure and pain = more ignorance

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
and yet none of you care to cry about all the pollution in the ocean?

killing a whale or two is NOTHING in the long run, but pouring tons of toxic waste into the oceans will eventually kill them all

at least pick your protests correctly people

protesting a few whalers will not fix ANYTHING

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Pretty sure this hasn't been posted in this thread yet. I checked, but might have missed it.

Here is a video of the event!

www.liveleak.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

That's because we are staying on topic to the OP

We could rant and rave about a multitide of inhumane activity if we followed your logic - let's just stick to the call that murdering whales is wrong eh?!

And you are wrong...

..the Sea Shepherd has brought the plight into the public domain once again

[edit on 6/2/2009 by skibtz]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
and yet none of you care to cry about all the pollution in the ocean?

killing a whale or two is NOTHING in the long run, but pouring tons of toxic waste into the oceans will eventually kill them all

at least pick your protests correctly people

protesting a few whalers will not fix ANYTHING

Where did you ever get the idea that its just a few whales here and there? Its several whales all the time. Whales that are on the endangered species list. whales that were put in that list because of the actions of HUMANS.

If it were just "a whale or two" then we would not have put them on the endangered species list.

That said, just who do you think you are to suggest that no one in here cares about pollution? Im willing to bet that the majority of people in this thread are well aware of the pollution problem.

Had this thread been about pollution I bet there would be plenty of people here talking about pollution.

However, this is a thread about illegal whaling, and talking about off topic subjects is against T&C. Most people at ATS, and im sure you do to, respect the T&C, that is why we are talking about the issue of whaling and not the issue of pollution or gun crimes, or alien abductions, or where in the world carmen sandiego is.

This is a thread about the illegal whaling problem and thats why we are talking about that and nothing else.

Im surprised that some one who has been a member since 2004, like yourself, doesnt know the rules of the T&C yet. I mean I knew why it wasnt okay to talk about off topic subjects my first day....

[edit on 6-2-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
While I know many Japanese who have eaten whale, I do not know many who actually like it. Most who have eaten whale have only done so because it was forced upon them in the form of a school lunch. I have not known anyone to actually buy whale meat at the store to serve at home and I have never been with anyone who ordered whale at a restaurant. There are tons of the stuff in freezers, since there is no market for it. Whale is the most inexpensive meat for sale in Japan and it still doesn't seem to sell.

I saw a television commercial for dog food that said "I like whale and your dog likes whale, too" or something like that. I guess they figure if they can't get people to eat it, maybe they will feed it to their dogs.

I am 100% against whaling, but I do not agree with the tactics used by Sea Shepherd.

you make a great point- the sea shepherd s tactics are very extreme, but when your the only one doing anything besides talking, its hard to get something done that is productive. I think that the sea shepherd captain is a little overboard, and puts his crew at risk. but they all know why they are their, and they claim they are willing to die for the whales.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Evolution is a strange/wonderful thing.

Soon mankind will evolve to the point where it no longer depends on another living being as a food source. This is because the actions of man will eventually destroy the food chains/eco-systems upon which it currently believes it depends upon.

Fortunately there are some of us here that have evolved to the next stage - the stage that accepts that murdering other living beings for food is wrong and totally unnecessary.

The inevitable downside to this is that those who have moved on to the next step of evolution must co-exist with those yet to progress.

Here's hoping we don't have to wait too long for the cavemen to catch up to the next generation.

[edit on 6/2/2009 by skibtz]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
GO SEA SHEPHERD!!!

I agree -

Whales (and dolphins) are truly marvellous creatures and killing them is a crime.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
There is no tradition to hunting,
the Japanese want to target other species besides the minki, they want to "research" humpbacks as well. -munkey66

I've seen this posted elsewhere, and you know what? You and Paul Watson are flat wrong. Japan has a tradition of whale hunting over 1300 years old. The oldest surviving Japanese book "Kojiki" (approx 620 A.D.) details the emperor eating hunted whale. Whaling was probably happening long before this date, even long before biblical times. Especially when you consider that Japan has been inhabited since 30,000 BC.

As far as Australia territory claims, my understanding is that they aren't internationally recognized. Just under 50% of Antartica? Approx 10% of the Earth's oceans? Sorry, I won't buy that for a dollar.

Why do Japanese eat whale? They do it to survive. Do any of you anti-whalers even realize that Japan DOES NOT have a vast unused flat sections of land to farm/ranch in like a large portion of the world does. They have always pulled from the ocean since they have never had enough land for land subsistence.

The U.S. and Australia both take food from the ocean, even though they have more than plenty of ranch/farm land. These countries do it primarily for the high-profit of seafood. It's "classy" and "stylish" to eat. That is criminal compared to Japan, taking from the ocean because it NEEDS to.
(sushi and sashimi are not high class foods, "classy" "stylish" foods in Japan are almost all land-based.)

Maybe some of you who think that Japan is wrong for taking from the ocean, should look at your own country.

Do you have enough ranch/farm land?
If yes, then does your country still take food from the ocean, even though it has enough ranch/farm land?
Don't you think you should get your own country to stop, before you try to point fingers at Japan?

This is regardless of what you pull from the ocean, if your doing it and you don't have to, that is ridiculous. If you must, then that is survival.

Now a bit about Paul Watson.
Convicted in Norway for ship sinking.

7 charges of attempted murder in Costa Rica, which he fled from.

Earthforce! by Paul Watson, advises people to make up facts and figures when they talk to reporters.

Thrown out of Greenpeace, considered a "mutineer" by them.

Promoting piracy by ordering crew members to board whaling ships.

The Butyric acid he claims is merely "rancid butter", that he throws on whalers. It's been proven to cause blindness and "HARM AQUATIC LIFE".
Only the delusional would believe that such a substance wouldn't get into the water from being thrown boat to boat.

That's right, your Cap'n Paul is an attempted murderer, a pirate, and by his very own actions is risking the safety of aquatic life.

Is this the kind of person and organization that you want to support?

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
no my point is that your gonna waste all your time saving the whales, and then turn around and the whole ocean is dead, only to find stopping the guy on the boat didnt actually solve the problem

you need to go ram into a corporate building, not a boat if you want to fix things

im just saying you guys are thinking to small, this problem is global in its scope and requires a global solution

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by skibtz

what a load of bs man

you eat plants, therefore you murder living beings

what made you think eating plants wasnt murder? you must be very selective in your thinking

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

STAR!
Awesome link TA! Worth the half-hour wait to download it!

These guys on the Sea Shepherd are brave & noble, risking all to save whales. I don't care about the previous posts referring to them as extremists; the Japanese are murdering whales which are mammals breathing through lungs like us, which is MORE extreme!

They need more guys. More ships. More umbrellas!

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Sea Shepherd is a bunch of media whores.

If they were real activists they'd be sinking these ships in the middle of the night when they dock.

Instead they create international incidents to "focus public attention" on the issue... meanwhile their precious whales still die as the machinery of whale cultivation grinds on.

I guess shouting with bullhorns is much easier than risking your life for your precious idealism.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfoot1212
we have more pressing issues in this world than worrying about the F###ing whales. life will go on without them. maybe we should worry more about humans killing humans than some marine animal? and peta needs to be wiped out like our congressmen do

Wow nice reply, I presume you're talking about the economic crisis, nice to see that you consider life a meaningless commodity when compared to money. Once again another indicator that money is the root of all evil, you would put the suffering of another creature behind the production of a piece of paper. Enjoy your life of plasma TV's, I would drop it all to save one of these creatures from people like you. I really hope you don't have any pets, I presume they would be the first thing out the door if you were fired.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by cogburn

Good point, if anyone wants to pay for the supplies + Travel, I'm up for it.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leto
The protesters have been pushing too far. As long as the whales aren't in danger of going extinct these whalers should be able to make a living.

Whales are probably the most intelligent being on earth. This is the most heinous act of murder, and is primitive and barbaric, a prime example of the truly grotesque nature of the renegades who run this planet!!!!
Go Sea Shepherd Go!!!!!!!!! You've been my hero's since my childhood!!!!!

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
reply to post by skibtz

what a load of bs man

you eat plants, therefore you murder living beings

what made you think eating plants wasnt murder? you must be very selective in your thinking

I think the focus should actually be on the suffering these living beings feel, as far as I know plants do not have the nervous system to feel pain. And I would presume a several harpoons through our body, hooks through our skin, unstoppable bleeding and then being suffocated by your own weight is horrifically painful, especially when it doesn't have to happen.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
GO SEA SHEPHERD!!! I believe them when they say the Japanese deliberately manoeuvred their boat to collide with them. But even if Sea Shepherd rammed them - BLOODY GOOD SHOW!!!!!

Kevin Rudd should never have called off the navy last year. They were coordinating with Sea Shepherd and they had the ability and the evidence to arrest the bloody lot of these Japanese slaughterers.

Those rotten bloody Japanese whalers have used every excuse under the sun to keep whaling in our Southern oceans. They use the premise of 'scientific research' so they can slaughter hundreds of adult and baby whales to EAT THEM. They do not care that the species they are hunting have almost been hunted to extinction, as long as they get some nice whalemeat on their plates they are happy.

Quite frankly the Japanese whaling ships should be sunk (and before anyone says "you'd be killing the whalers whaa whaa whaa" - they should be transferred to a prison ship before scuttling the ships').

[edit on 5/2/2009 by Kryties]

it comes down to one thing, and one thing only... pushing this on.... Money...

[edit on 6-2-2009 by ugie1028]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by skibtz

Originally posted by Leto
We are sentient, whales aren't.

Wrong buddy.

Sentient assumes that the subject feels pleasure and pain - whales are therefore sentient.

Your apparent coldness, indifference and/or apathy to the murder of another living being probably makes you less sentient than a stone.

In a civilised, non-poverty stricken society, there is absolutely no need to kill to eat.

Yep. I bet alot of the folks cheerleading on this butchery probably think THIS is A-Okay too:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm sure you same folks will defend this disgusting filth as "tradition" as well eh?

Unreal....

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

here's what I think is interesting -

that cruelty is exempted - if it's part of a tradition

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join