It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Doomsday case back in court

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Doomsday case back in court


cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com

The federal lawsuit against the world's largest particle-smasher may have been thrown out of court last year, but the plaintiffs have since filed an appeal, arguing that the judge was wrong when she said the U.S. legal system had no jurisdiction over the European science experiment.
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
They're not giving up! However, "because the case was thrown out on legal rather than scientific grounds, the bulk of this week's brief dwells on the legal issues.", so it looks like they are trying to shut LHC down on a technicality now.

I keep changing my mind on this, on one hand I want to go along with the majority of scientists who think it'll all be fine, but then what if it is wrong, pretty big mistake!

cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)



posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
It would be a trip to get sucked into a black hole. Couldnt think of a better way to go out than slowly getting sucked into the event horizon and torn from the layers of exitence itself.

On the other hand if we can create small black holes and maintain them, say good bye to the word garbage, dump everything into the black holes.

Imagine a toilet with no water and a black hole at the bottem. Just dont be dropping your wedding ring.


[edit on 5-2-2009 by TheKingsVillian]



posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
This is how I see it:

Either the LHC works and we make massive advancements in our scientific knowledge possibly leading to major advances in technology.....OR....

The LHC creates a black hole which begins to suck the world in. In this case, I shall grab a beer, go to a high mountain, kick back and watch what will be the most spectacular sight any human being could imagine! I mean, we'd be screwed anyway right? Why bother panicking - grab a beer and watch the fun!

But to be honest, it's not going to go down that way. It will go off without a hitch and we shall discover scientific wonders we had previously only ever dreamed about.



posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties
 


Yeah like my black hole toilet idea, # maybe i should patent the idea now and be a RICH RICH RICH RICH MAN



posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TheKingsVillian
 


I like your 'Black hole toilet' idea except for one minor flaw: We haven't yet determined if Black Holes lead anywhere yet. It is still a theory that perhaps Black Holes are like wormholes in that they wil transport matter to another region/star/galaxy/universe.

Wouldn't you hate to be an alien waking up one day to find billions and billions of tonnes of human faecal matter being dumped in your garden? I wouldn't be a happy-chappy I can tell you



posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
I mean, we'd be screwed anyway right? Why bother panicking - grab a beer and watch the fun!



Exactly! Why bother panicking, why worry?

My friend's and I are going to have an End of World party commemorating the first collisions =)

If no black holes surely the discovery of advancements in technology....will lead to advancements in warfare....and will be a somewhat slower end to the world.



posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by TheKingsVillian
 


I like your 'Black hole toilet' idea except for one minor flaw: We haven't yet determined if Black Holes lead anywhere yet. It is still a theory that perhaps Black Holes are like wormholes in that they wil transport matter to another region/star/galaxy/universe.

Wouldn't you hate to be an alien waking up one day to find billions and billions of tonnes of human faecal matter being dumped in your garden? I wouldn't be a happy-chappy I can tell you


What if they do not lead anywhere at all? What if their secret lies in being able to suck in limitless amouts of energy and matter, storing it within the small confines of the holes size? Now that would be mind bogelling, like one of those magical bags that nevers gets full!

On the other hand, all that poo may make the aliens dump planet x though their own hole, to try and smash us to smitherines and stop the dumping rofl. If planet x fails, they can always use it as a military base for invading us :O.



posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I made the below comments in another thread concerning the LHC and still think it is something to consider.

What if a black hole is simply mass spinning faster than the speed of light?
What if dark matter is simply matter in motion faster than the speed of light?
What if the theory that nothing can exceed the speed of light is simply a misread of nothing can be seen exceeding the speed of light.

Just a thought, have fun!

black holes faster than the speed of light
archives.cnn.com...



posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
But to be honest, it's not going to go down that way. It will go off without a hitch and we shall discover scientific wonders we had previously only ever dreamed about.


Or we won't discover anything and it will become the largest paper weight in the world.

I don't think we're going to get sucked into a black hole, but I also don't think it's going to give us some magical enlightenment.



posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties
 


LOL, I can see us polluting the aliens' planets. That's what starts Independence Day. They all come here for payback.



posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Darky6K
 


Oh noes!! Panic! Riot! Grab your guns! The evil, devious faeces-covered aliens are here to get us!!

Or they would be if they could figure out how to wipe the faecal matter from their eyes so they could see where they were going - turns out they thought Uranus was Earth and tried to land.....



posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Reply to Kryties.

It funny you say that because i was thinking the dead same thing.

Below is my problem when it come to understanding wormholes and black holes.

If there are an infinite number of dimensions all connected to each other, how would you be able to predict which one you enter once travelling through a wormhole or black hole? Scratchs head and wonders wtf?





[edit on 9-2-2009 by TheKingsVillian]



posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
How do they think a US court can order a European experiment to stop is beyond me. I don't see the US stopping any of it's experimental projects to please us..



posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Most people fail to grasp that being killed by a black hole would technically take billions of years, because as you approach the event horizon time itself slows down. An eternal death. I image that would be true purgatory for the entire population of the world.

Scary isn't it?


Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by Darky6K
 


Oh noes!! Panic! Riot! Grab your guns! The evil, devious faeces-covered aliens are here to get us!!

Or they would be if they could figure out how to wipe the faecal matter from their eyes so they could see where they were going - turns out they thought Uranus was Earth and tried to land.....




[edit on 9-2-2009 by dodgygeeza]



posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by dodgygeeza
 


Most people fail to grasp that any black hole created by the LHC would take billions of years to even gain enough mass to pose a threat. It is more likely that it would evaporate before being able to swallow any mass whatsoever.



posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by dodgygeeza
 


Most people fail to grasp that any black hole created by the LHC would take billions of years to even gain enough mass to pose a threat. It is more likely that it would evaporate before being able to swallow any mass whatsoever.


Well, it could take billions of years yes or it could take a few years while it slowly builds mass at the centre of the planet. That is what I've heard anyway.

Anyway, its just speculation



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join