It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California offices to be closed Friday

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Clouds, I wanted to report back to you about the World Ag Expo in Tulare, CA.
Yes, the nation and world economy has affected this event. Attendance was lower, there were empty booths (venders not able to show up--for example International was not there, but Caterpillar was there yay!)

There was a lot of attention paid to alternative energy/systems for farmers. Farming here has been highly invested in the use of oil, from petro based chemicals to farm equipment run on oil energy. Fortunately, businesses like dairies are starting to use there own waste products to make energy.

Water is another issue wherever desert areas (and much of CA where farming takes place is technically desert!) are farmed. This state, this nation, this world, must decide how they want to use water--wisely or wastefully. As bad off as CA is made out to be for businesses, there is one international leader in drip irrigation that wants to move their headquarters here!

We can make foolish choices based on ease of effort in the present, choices that in the long run will help to decline quality of life for business and state/national interest, or we can put efforts into a different way of doing business, efforts that would not run a state/nation into the ground. Instead of flooding crops with "cheap" (taxpayer subsidized water), crops could use drip irrigation, for example. I've always said, since the 1970's great drought, that taxpayer dollars would be better spent helping farmers with water saving measures, rather than building more canals.

Machines to do more work with less human labor were unveiled. This will again prompt another shift in jobs, with social as well as economic impacts as well.

Since this expo was international, you could see there is much the world wants to share with the US (besides small USA entrepreneurs also offering services/products) to kick this great nation into the 21st century. Business "as has been usual" must change, if we, as a state and a nation are to survive.

Oh, re unions, in the 1920's my dad and his siblings had to temporarily vacate their home over fear of radical union bombing, as my grandfather was in management. My dad never worked in a union job, but every day he thanked unions for their part in helping him work an 8 hour day, have health and retirement benefits, and wages to buy a home, feed 5 kids, and take them on a vacation every year.

When either business or unions are corrupt, it is a detriment. It would do young people well to study the midwest meat packing industry over the last 20 some years, as one example of union busting through hiring illegal labor. This is just one of a myriad of actions where business got the gold, and the American worker got the shaft.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Thanks for the info desert. Do you know anything about San Diego not collecting trash anymore? I red that somewhere.

Also, if you want to see how bad it is for all states...

Here

If you're afraid for 2009, don't look at the 2010 charts....

So expect huge rise in all sort of taxes and buy a lot of lube.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
California is going to layoff 20 thousand people.

www.ktvu.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I left the urban/suburban rat race 30 years ago
, but here's what I gather. Wherever I have lived in CA (except in San Diego), there was always a city tax/fee paid by the homeowner/business owner for trash pick up. A very little amount. If I lived on county land, I had no trash removal, but I would pay at the dump/transfer station each visit. Looks like San Diego now just want to do what the rest of us already have done.

You know, people don't get where all the services they enjoy come from. You don't get something for nothing. An example, wooed by the mantra of "No taxes!", my sister voted for those who would lower her taxes. Ok. Until she had to personally write a check every month for the newly privatized school bus system to take my nieces and nephews to school.

People, there is no trash fairy that picks up your trash while you sleep!

edit to add No, I don't want to look at the train wreck elsewhere, thank you

[edit on 17-2-2009 by desert]

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

That would be that less $ into the economy. One more stick taken out, like in the Genga stacking game. Let alone personal hardship.

My neighbor, a high school teacher, will probably see a drastic cutback in custodial services at her school, affecting the already limited services. She was told that she would need to vacuum (buy herself a vacuum cleaner) to do that duty herself
Maybe in a prison you could use prison labor, but how many teenagers would volunteer to help vacuum? How many help keep their own house clean?

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Thanks for all the recent updates out in Cal.

Godspeed to all, we are all headed south on the slope

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Los Angeles nears water rationing

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - With a recent flurry of winter storms doing little to dampen California's latest drought, the nation's biggest public utility voted on Tuesday to impose water rationing in Los Angeles for the first time in nearly two decades.

Under the plan adopted in principle by the governing board of the L.A. Department of Water and Power, homes and businesses would pay a penalty rate -- nearly double normal prices -- for any water they use in excess of a reduced monthly allowance.

www.reuters.com...

[edit on 18-2-2009 by Cloudsinthesky]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

Here we go again. I lived in LA in the 1970's when there was water rationing. "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down."
We learned a lot about ways to reduce H2O consumption, but I hope we can do better this time around at keeping permanent the ways to save water. (xeriscape, improved farming methods, water saving devices/practices, etc.)

With all the draw down of the mighty Colorado River by Western states, the river no longer makes it to the Gulf of Calif. The fight to get water from the north via canals has its drawbacks (affecting fish populations, farmers/cities who don't want "their" water going to urban south state, a state/federal budget that might not be able to afford the cost of projects to move water around).

Central Valley farmers have been warned about the possibility of drastic water rationing, to the point of not being able to grow crops. More layoffs in agriculture? Higher food prices??

Maybe finally farming operations will not be allowed to flood their crops as a means of watering. If other desert areas in the world can grow the same crops without flooding, we should, too!

Hey, here's an interesting history fact. It was once thought that giant aqueducts could be dug using nuclear explosives. I think the project was to carry water south from the Columbia River.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

Its hard for me to understand that so many don't see the collapse of California and the lack of attention in the media as a concern.

Well, I think most people are concerned, but most people, when faced with a financial crisis, where more money is going out, rather than coming in, react by either:
trying to make more money
trying to cut spending

and then EXAMINING their life style, and changing whatever got them into financial distress.

So California is cutting spending. That is GOOD.

Now, the bigger question is:
Will they EXAMINE their lifestyle, and their choices that caused them to spend more than they took in?

Will they take a tougher stand on illegals that are bankrupting the state, or will they continue to provide free healthcare and even higher education to illegals, when 47,000,000 Americans have neither of those benefits?
Will they continue to put politically correct emission standards in place, above Federal standards, which forces them to pay so much more for gasoline than other states pay?

It's California's problem. They have to deal with it.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

CA businesses, as businesses all over the US, have indeed been using illegal labor with impunity since early 1980's. I, too, ask why?

CA institutes of higher learning have started to require students provide a SS#. No SS#, no application.

Health care to ANY uninsured here is minimal.

I can wish for clean air all I want, but it takes higher emission standards to provide for relief. Higher emission standards have made for noticeably cleaner air. We've come a long way since I was a youngster on a smoggy CA playground, lungs and eyes burning from just standing around at recess, let alone playing dodge ball.

One thing going for CA. When we visit Hawaii, we're not as shocked at the prices.

At this time, the budget compromise is short one vote for passage.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join