It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California offices to be closed Friday

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
So if you have 200,000 workers at say $250 per day each, you end up saving $50,000,000 today.

That means a savings of $100,000,000 per month or a little over 1 billion dollars per year.

California is $41 billion in the hole. Where does all the other money go ?

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
When are they going to start selling off plots of land in state and national parks? McMansions overlooking the Grand Canyon...

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I take what is happening in California as very bad and it's nothing to laugh about. What is happening there is just the beginning what is going to happening to the rest of the states. It's going to be a long year.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
This fight needs to be taken to the unions. Arnold's too afraid to do it because he made a compromise with them years ago in exchange for campaign funding, and they've already threatened to pull the recall lever on him before. If he has to be a casualty, so be it. I think history will vindicate him in the long run.

[edit on 8-2-2009 by SpencerJ]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SpencerJ

I'm sincerely curious...why do you blame the unions?

The number of union workers has pretty much shrunk every year for years now, and they pretty much knuckle under to whatever management offers these days.

With CEOs taking 310 times the yearly average pay, think about it: you'd have to work 310 years to match what one CEO takes in a single year, what's your beef with people who make about 35K a year, if they're lucky? I'm not talking about the cop unions...they're different cause they have real power.

[edit on 8-2-2009 by apacheman]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

$250 day? What fantasy land do you live in? most of those workers are making around $13 an hour or so, not $31 an hour.

Sheesh do you ever look at what California actually pays its workers? Not much, really, at least not non-cops.

When I Was teaching college, I made about $58 an hour. Sounds like a lot, right? Except that as a part-time instructor, I was not allowed to work more than six "hours" a week. That's six classroom hours, not real hours. Add in prep time, grading, counseling, and ancillary paperwork, and it works out to eating at least three hours per class hour, which reduces the pay rate to $14 an hour, with no bennies, no healthcare. Part-timers make up most of the college and university staffs.

So I'm not sure where people get these insane ideas about overpaid teachers and such.

[edit on 8-2-2009 by apacheman]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

I see parts of my research are influencing others' on this site. The model for collapse you used is very much what I've been forecasting for some time now. (With the mention of East Coast States). 2 of which share California plan for green conversion that CalState is financing(Another cutting point to look at Arnold!).

The furloughs will not delay the collapse of California. It will only make it faster. Once they get back to work they will be overloaded with work orders, and paperwork across the board. This will cost money. It would have been better if they had just fired people. But this will only get worse as CalState REFUSES to cut ANYTHING from the budget. So they are letting the chips fall where they may.

Police are even being laid off(Something not seen since the 1930s)

I have never seeing so much state irresponsibility in my entire life. It is sad that our President is leading us down the exact same path nationally.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

The situation in California is only going to get worse now that any money for the states is cut from the bailout.

I am not sure if you have read another thread I started on ATS:

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

This topic and everything else that is going on in the world really makes one think.........

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I read this thread as well. I haven't commented because I have not yet done the research needed to make an informed opinion on Reinhardt's predictions and the mechanics that accompany the theory. I am familiar with his predictions and his opinions on what is happening. But it's about context and where this fits into my model(Which, by the way, is really comprehensive. I'll be making a post on it in the coming week)

I know it will get worse. But what people don't seem to know, or be willing to accept, is how bad this will get. Take a look at your average teenager, for instance, do you think they are educated enough, prepared for the kind of poverty America is about to face? Do you think the Average 30 year old is prepared for the kind of poverty America will face? No one alive, barring VERY few, is prepared for this, and those alive long enough to remember the USA's last depression are not young enough to survive this one.

That is what scares me, and no one is taking on THEIR RESPONSIBILITY to educate the young ones, people my age and younger(I'm 24). And that is not just sad, it is a dereliction of parental, and societal duty. Everyone is waiting for Big Brother to save them, and in the end, the only savior will be the man who molds bricks of our collective shame to rebuild a nation no one taught us to preserve.

Disgusting.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

The point of my thread was to make people think What if he is Right!!

And what this would mean for all of us...

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I know what the point of the thread is. First I have to see how right he is first. You see, economic predictions can be an exact science. All you have to do is remove any personal agenda. Once you do this you can see where certain instruments work and others' don't . That is the reason why more scrutiny needs to be place on him and his predictions. Because they can be proven right or wrong BEFORE the date of the events.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

economic predictions can be an exact science.

Yes, economic predictions is a exact science...........but telling you the exact day months in advance more than once is KNOWLEDGE

This knowledge is NOT science, its an agenda.........

Then you must look at where this agenda will take you and your family...

Of course, that is if he is correct......

This is the point to the thread

[edit on 8-2-2009 by Cloudsinthesky]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

And still not the point to THIS thread. Though I understand what you're saying. We can discuss that later after I've gathered my data on your OTHER thread.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
California is the canary in the coal mine for the USA.

Its at the bottom of the cage, still breathing, and if it dies the rest of the states in the same mine will follow!

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
The big picture is this.
Thousands are being laid off everywhere - everyday.
Businesses are going under -
States are going broke.
It looks bleak. Everywhere.

Unless there is a miracle (which personally I am always up for)
we have some seriously lean and learning times ahead.

I read recently the government will continue hiring -
Lots of ads on the box lately for the armed forces.
Again bleak.

This is what happens when what we thought was solid foundation
- is not solid at all.
A challenge is before us.
Let's face it - help one another out - and plan the best we can. : )

[edit on 8-2-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

You are right about our outlook...........I just finished watching the world forum meeting shown on CNN, Not good at all is the sum of it.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by theRiverGoddess

Please correct me if I am wrong but I remember reading that Utah (non-emergency) workers switched to a 4 day (10 hour per day) work week back when gas prices were extremely high in order to have less commuting to and from work, transportation issues etc... Not because of a cut back or budget issues.

If that is still the case then it does not really compare to the situation in California.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

You have a question. I have an answer. As always, you can't solely look at straight incomes. You have to look at benefits and protections that are put in place to preserve union monopolies and the taxpayers that fund their special interest campaigns. Just look at how they came out against Arnold after a previous agreement in the 2005 special election.

The SEIU in California is also rated to be one of the most corrupt local divisions in the country with 3 chief officials being fired in the last months of 2008. Funny how their pension folios have been going up in a time of economic calamity, and they and the Democrats want to raise taxes to continue to fund them.

Is that also why 99% of campaign funds from state employee unions went to partisan (read: Democrat) causes over the last fiscal year? Correction: it's 98.1, but that's still close enough for me.

Really now, what other reason could they have for arguing that their wasteful protections and benefits is necessary for the budget in a time like this?

[edit on 10-2-2009 by SpencerJ]

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Swarzi may layoff 20.000 state workers

Well. Not really unexpected. California is going down, and Arizona is probably next in May-June.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
The worst part about it is how we're scaling back only in the short term, and how it will have no benefit whatsoever on our long-term recovery. It's like I said in the "mass release prisoners" thread. They understand that they have to cut back, but not why, and what brought them here, so they will spin this laying off as workers, relief of prison overcrowding etc as extraordinarily bad, even though these kinda things are necessary and have already occurred on a much smaller scale.

It's a nice trick really. Psychology 101. And because the people are stupid, they will suck it up and keep believing a bigger government could better handle the situation.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join